weight machines or free weights?

Options
Wondering which is the "better" one to utilize? I feel that I read/hear so much more about using free weights, but I stick to the machines at the gym right now....

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Free Weights > Machines.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    They have different benefits and disadvantages. I use a mix, leaning more towards free weights, but what's best would depend on your experience, goals, and strength.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Use free weights whenever possible.
  • carotnatalie
    carotnatalie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Use free weights whenever possible.

but why?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    but why?

When you use machines you're basically stuck in one plane of motion. With free weights you're using your stabilizers, including your core, plus you're in full control of the eccentric and concentric (easy & hard part) of a lift..

So basically - more control of the weight you're lifting and better overall for the body as the stabilizers are involved. More bang for the buck...
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    but why?

When you use machines you're basically stuck in one plane of motion. With free weights you're using your stabilizers, including your core, plus you're in full control of the eccentric and concentric (easy & hard part) of a lift..

So basically - more control of the weight you're lifting and better overall for the body as the stabilizers are involved. More bang for the buck...

I agree. Plus, I can do overhead presses and a lunge together. I hate to just do one muscle group at a time.
  • carotnatalie
    Options
    but why?

true! hadn't thought of it in that perspective. I need to get some books on it, that way I can work into it actually knowing what I'm doing. I totally spy on the trainers and other people free weight lifting haha.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    but why?

true! hadn't thought of it in that perspective. I need to get some books on it, that way I can work into it actually knowing what I'm doing. I totally spy on the trainers and other people free weight lifting haha.

I recommend Starting Strength 3rd edition, you can get it on amazon. Hundreds of pages on how to perform the basic compound exercises.
  • carotnatalie
    Options
    but why?

I recommend Starting Strength 3rd edition, you can get it on amazon. Hundreds of pages on how to perform the basic compound exercises.
    I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    but why?

Some people prefer the safety of weight machines, especially if they're weak or new to strength training. If you can't lift a free weight with good form it's unlikely to do you much good.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    but why?

Some people prefer the safety of weight machines, especially if they're weak or new to strength training. If you can't lift a free weight with good form it's unlikely to do you much good.
    if you don't practice with free weights you're not going to learn good form...

there is zero reason to use machines outside of bodybuilding or rehab.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Machines isolate just the specific muscle you want to work. It can be good for that targeted approach. It also limits the positions you go into as a beginner and you don't need a spotter. So, I can arm press (like a seated bench press) and work my way up in weight and not worry about dropping it on my neck and choking to death without a spotter. If I don't know form yet, it can limit and guide the muscle group through the form by having a preset range on the machine. But,...

Free weights work both the targeted muscle and the counterbalanced structural muscles. If you must support the arm and hold it straight while doing a bicep curl, you work the triceps and the biceps, and to some extent the shoulder, core muscles and everything else you use to hold yourself in position. You are less likely to develop unbalanced muscles (though you still have to work the opposite group e.g. chest and back), such as a bulging bicep on an arm that is not structurally in proportion to it - which can lead to injury.

Machines you are often seated. For women, doing weight lifting and weight bearing activities is important to building bone and calcium. So, the standing with free weights can be better for that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    but why?

Free weights start at 2lb. When you are new, you start light with slighter higher reps to learn good form and then when you have that down, up the weights.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Free Weights > Machines.

yep.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Machines tend to only target one or two areas, while free weights tend to give more "full body" workouts. Both are good, but I generally stick with free weights and supplement with machines.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I usually work out ALONE at 5:30 in the morning in my home. I do not go to a gym, I do not have a partner and I do not have a trainer. So, for me to bench press alone would be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE. There are times when machines ARE safer and do have a place in your training. By doing the types of exercises that are not safe without a spotter, you can still get the benefits and avoid the risks... with a machine. I use both and there is a place for both. JMO.
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    free weights.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Free weights since I have them in my bedroom and not weight machines lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its already been commented on a lot, but here is my 2c:

Free weights > machines. However there are some exercises that cable machines (not fixed machines) are better for that you cannot really do with free weights.

Free weights, and to a slightly lesser degree cable machines engage your stabilizer muscles and core much more - therefore giving you 'more bang for your buck'.

The other issue with the fixed machines is that they will not teach proper form and can in fact make you do the lift at an unnatural angle so it actually increases the risk of injury.
  • LiftHuff
    Options

I usually work out ALONE at 5:30 in the morning in my home. I do not go to a gym, I do not have a partner and I do not have a trainer. So, for me to bench press alone would be VERY IRRESPONSIBLE. There are times when machines ARE safer and do have a place in your training. By doing the types of exercises that are not safe without a spotter, you can still get the benefits and avoid the risks... with a machine. I use both and there is a place for both. JMO.

home racks are quite inexpensive and make any lift safe. If you care to have a well-outfitted home gym, a rack is only about the size of a bench press setup and far more versatile.