Mid Workout Bonk!

Options
As I manage my calories (probably too tightly) I tend to bonk mid workout losing energy and at times needing to leave to get something to eat or I will get light headed. Any recommendations on a good source of protein/energy to eat either before or during a workout that isnt packed full of carbs?

Replies

• barbosa_art
    Options
    Carbs are what you need before a workout to give you the energy. Don't count them out completey
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping you were going somewhere else with this.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Carbs are what you need before a workout to give you the energy. Don't count them out completey

^^^ THIS

If your workout is longer than 1 hour in length, also consider drinking a sports drink like Gatorade during your workout to help prevent bonking.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Where I live a bonk is something quite different... I read the title and thought "I want to join THAT gym!" :bigsmile:
  • KayleighRebecca25
    Options
    Bonk? Where im from that means to have sex, just had to have myself an immature giggle at the word :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Aye. I'd recommend some fruit. That sugar will give you a nice boost.

Also, this is the first time I've heard the time "bonk" used in this fashion.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Haha...I usually wait until after my workout to bonk.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    AH HA - I see it's one of those translation issues... not meaning the same in the UK as it does in the US.

I was curious about managing a bonk and a workout, especially with the bonk in the middle :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Where I live a bonk is something quite different... I read the title and thought "I want to join THAT gym!" :bigsmile:

Same here! Haven't been onto a topic so fast, nor have I been so dissapointed so quickly.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i thought you meant you like to have a shag half way through your workout!! that should be included as a cardio workout!!
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, another English lost in translation. made me laugh
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Bonk means sex....jus sayin....

if it's mid workout...keep logging the calories and wear your HRM....
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    ... nor have I been so dissapointed so quickly.

That's what she said.
  • happypath101
    Options
    About an hour before I play hockey I have either some almonds or a banana with some yogurt. It really helps. Good luck! (Whatever your bonk is. wink, wink!)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    what exercise are you doing and how much are you restricting your calories. I'm on about 1000 a day deficit and exercise 5 times a week. With this I'm storing enough glycogen to run 6 mile (over an hour). Are you exercising too vigorously perhaps ? If you are the thing thats stopping you may be cardiovascular (oxygen/Co2) rather than the amount of energy you've actually stored. If thats the case eating more will just slow your weight loss and not do anything to help your burn more.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    Bonk? Where i from that meant to have sex, just had to have myself an immature giggle at the word :)

This.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I've been dupped... I came for the other "bonk"...
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Oh I love a good mid-workout bonk...
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    AH HA - I see it's one of those translation issues... not meaning the same in the UK as it does in the US.

I was curious about managing a bonk and a workout, especially with the bonk in the middle :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nope, it's just the OP - I'm straight up 'murrican & my mind went to sex immediately. Then again, that just happens on its own sometimes too...
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Try keeping a protein bar, good granola bar, piece of fruit, or a sports drink in your bag,