Sushi

Options
theGuest
theGuest Posts: 117 Member
Is it ok to have sushi??

I adore sushi but I have been avoiding it mostly because of the rice content but I have been hearing that because the white rice content is fairly low, it's not that bad.

I usually don't have sashimi and stick to sushi salmon rolls.

I always order without mayo, and try try try not to have anything tempura (even though I love love love it!)

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• theGuest
    Options
    Is it ok to have sushi??

I adore sushi but I have been avoiding it mostly because of the rice content but I have been hearing that because the white rice content is fairly low, it's not that bad.

I usually don't have sashimi and stick to sushi salmon rolls.

I always order without mayo, and try try try not to have anything tempura (even though I love love love it!)

What are your thoughts?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/7053-i-love-sushi?hl=i+love+sushi#posts-48759

Here's a recent post with some nutrition contents.

Careful, as the sodium content can be very high. Also, my doctor has told me twice a month for tuna maximum, due to mercury concerns.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Sushi in maderation is not that bad. Remebmer that the rice is there and that contributes to the calorie and carb content.

I do Sashimi (Just the fish) and I might have a half of a roll or a few pieces of Sushi but mostly Sashimi
  • theGuest
    Options
    i'm not into the sashimi really
  • theGuest
    Options
    Thank you so much for the link!!

The calorie count is insane!! I shall be avoiding it!
  • Heatmiser
    Heatmiser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was a regular sushi eater, about 4 times a week and cut back to two. My restaurant knows me so well they wrap my rolls in brown rice. I only get the salmon because of the concern with the mercury, plus salmon in so good for your skin. If you get it wrapped in the brown rice, you are better off. Good luck.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Everything is good in moderation but I can't do sushi in moderation. There is a sushi bar near UNLV that does all you can eat for $20.00. There's nothing like having a sushi chef at your beck and call for that price and all the philly and spider rolls you can eat.

Yet, I urge you to check out the following site. It'll give you a ball park idea of the calories in the sushi you eat.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/category.php?partner=cmwm&category_id=26598&brand_id=10000001

I say go for it ^_^
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Ohhh! Great question! I am a huge fan of sushi! It's not all that bad.... is it?

Love the spring rolls. Yum!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    A*T*I*M*
    All Things In Moderation.
    Remember that in Japan 2 to 3 pieces is a serving. NOT 8 not 12.
    2 or 3.
    ---Diann...
  • theGuest
    Options
    I can't do sushi in moderation either.

or chocolate

thats why i stay away.

I have never heard of doing the brown rice - I don't know if my local sushi place does that???
  • aliciask
    aliciask Posts: 24
    Options
    Oh no! That's it for tuna? once or twice a month?

I eat it almost every day! A la sashimi, spicy roll, or straight out of the can.

Maybe I was a cat in a former life.

Seriously though....do I need to cut down? :frown: