What foods or combos make you feel full?

Options
I have noticed a trend with me personally. On the days that I eat a big salad as part of my meals, loaded with lots of veggies and greens, I am less hungry the entire day. I don't know why. I've read articles on how proteins are supposed to last longer or carbs burn first when exercising and whatever.... but, it just doesn't matter what else I try. I can eat enough protein for 3 people and find myself hungry all day. I can eat carbs that go over my calories by the hundreds... still hungry. But, if I have one good salad as part of my meals, I am fine all day and can even be tempted (but I don't) to skip meals because I don't get hungry.

Anyone else have this reaction to salads? Is there another food or food combination that you've found really nips the hunger in the bud?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm a bottomless pit most of the time. I can eat and eat and eat if I really want to. I can out eat my 275 pound hubby (something which he thinks is hilarious and loves to brag to people about. lol) So very few single meals really make me feel "full". I can feel satiated off of plenty of things, salad included (had one with no protein added last night actually), but rarely "full"

That said, the one meal that will always make me feel full, no matter what else I've had or not had that day is chicken and waffles. I eat chicken all the time, so it's not just the chicken. I've nommed through plenty of fried chicken at an AYCE soul food brunch place along with other foods. But pair up the chicken and the waffles (usually with a biscuit on the side) and something about it just stuffs me by the end of the meal.

And it's not just the unhealthy, restaurant versions. I make a version at home with breaded and backed chicken and home made high protein waffles. The amount of food on the plate looks like no more than any other meal I make at home, but I will always feel fuller after that one than almost any other meal I make.

No idea how/way it's that.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Could it be the water?
    They say lots of ppl arn't hungry, they are just thirsty.

Can you be my guinnia ( sp) pig?:flowerforyou:
    Next time its a non salad meal, try n extra 2 glasses of water 1/2 an hour before?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I eat either a chicken sandwich or an egg sandwich with an entire can of green vegetables for lunch and dinner. I started upping my vegetable intake after not being full with just a serving of them. It really helps bulk my meals for minimal calories.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    fiber bar and a full bottle of water
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Could it be the water?
    They say lots of ppl arn't hungry, they are just thirsty.

Can you be my guinnia ( sp) pig?:flowerforyou:
    Next time its a non salad meal, try n extra 2 glasses of water 1/2 an hour before?

Ummm, yesterday was a non-salad day and I was fiercely hungry and dying to binge at bedtime. I drank 10 glasses of water that day. Today was a salad day. I've been satiated all day (still haven't even eaten dinner and not really "hungry"). Only drank 6 glasses today so far. Thoughts on that?
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've heard having protein, fat and a carb at a meal is the best for satiety. For example, two scrambled eggs (protein) in olive oil (fat) and some veggie as your carb, like spinach. But everyone is different, I know people who work better on more carbs. You can also try splitting up your meals, like eat half of your breakfast and then and hour or two later eat the rest. This has helped me a lot in feeling full.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat.
  • elenaddp
    Options
    When hungry a snack of raw vegggies like carrots and hummus definitely takes the edge off. Munching on the veggies alone doesn't do it but the creamy tasty hummus does the trick for me.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. So easy to prepare and 2 cups of it is under 100 cals. Had it the other day for the first time, ate like a pig and no guilt.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg whites
  • deedeehopes
    deedeehopes Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love having a cup of grapes with 1/8 cup of almonds. it really fills me up as a snack
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ummm, yesterday was a non-salad day and I was fiercely hungry and dying to binge at bedtime. I drank 10 glasses of water that day. Today was a salad day. I've been satiated all day (still haven't even eaten dinner and not really "hungry"). Only drank 6 glasses today so far. Thoughts on that?
    theres a lot of water in most vegetables. and water soluble fibre.
    I'm guessing the combination of both keeps you full.

Do you change what you do on salad days/ vs non salad days??
    often if I'm busy doing stuff i don't get as hungry.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Not really. Similar days most days. No salad today and I've felt MUNCHIE all day. I'm going to have to work out to earn enough calories for dinner at this point.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Salads only fill me up if they contain a protein like fish, meat or beans. I'm not a huge fan of salads though and don't eat them often.

I find meals that contain a good amount of protein and fiber most filling. This is probably why I'm such a huge fan of beans.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    any kind of sandwich - halfway done and Im grabbing my tummy.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sammiches are great, especially loaded with veggies.

Huge salads full of spinach and veggies and lean meat and good stuff, no dressing required.

Brown rice fills me up much more than white rice, probably the higher fiber. Brown rice and beans with some salsa will keep you full for a long time, especially if you add in some ground beef/turkey/chicken/shrimp or lean sausage.

Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate whey powder with frozen strawberries thawing slowly and leaking into the yogurt, yum.

A baked white potato with chili, or a sweet potato with a little cinnamon and a small bit of butter will keep you stuffed for hours.

You can also accompany your meal with a glass of skim milk if you are still hungry. I find milk very filling.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Mixing some almond butter with protein powder and some sweetener looks totally gross but keeps me full for hours. More so than if I had mixed that all up into a protein shake with almond milk.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Full from salad? .... it's the fiber from the veggies ...... and fat from the dressing

Protein, fiber & fat ALL help to keep you full longer.