Help! Bananas everywhere!

Options
OK, so I went to the Farmer's Market today, and picked up a case of bananas for $5 (yes, FIVE dollars. Could NOT pass that up!). They are ripe and I need to do SOMETHING with this abundance! I have already made peanut butter bana smoothies for the house, and bought items for banana pudding, but that only gets me through two bunches at best. I need recipe and STORAGE ideas: I have heard bananas freeze well, has anyone tried this? If so, how have you made it work out?

HELP!!!

S/N: for those on a budget, make it a point to get to know your local farmers. Monday is a good day to hit them up for deals, especially if they overbought for the weekend prior. $5 for a case of bananas, $10 for a case of bicolor sweet corn. My guys know me by name, ask about my kids, and cut me deals I know they don't give others. I know what we are eating all week!

Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    I peel them, cut them into half (or into thirds), and put them in the freezer to use for green smoothies. I'm sure you could also over-ripen some and then freeze them for things like banana bread. Just label your freezer bags :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I peel them, cut them into half (or into thirds), and put them in the freezer to use for green smoothies. I'm sure you could also over-ripen some and then freeze them for things like banana bread. Just label your freezer bags :)

So peel them and put them in Ziploc to freeze? I have tried freezing before, but it was not successful; however, the instructions were to put the whole bunch in the freezer. Nope.
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    I do the same as the above poster mentioned every week for my protein shakes. Also, banana ice cream made just from frozen bananas. Can't beat it! What a deal!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Or slice them before freezing, and later pulse a handful in the blender to make a faux ice cream with a consistency very similar to the real thing! It's also good with a spoonful of nut butter or some cocoa powder blended in.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, peel them and stick them in a baggie. Then you can take them out for smoothies, or just stick them in the food processor and add cinnamon (and honey, and walnuts, or whatever else you like) and make "ice cream" out of them. I also found a recipe for "No-Oat Meal" that is FABULOUS. She calls for a fresh banana, but all I had was frozen, and it worked the same. Just needed to cook it a bit longer. http://cavemanstrong.com/2011/01/no-oatmeal/
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I do tend to put my over-ripe bananas in the freezer if I know I won't be able to eat them. Problem is, after they've been frozen they are only really good for smoothies or baked goods once thawed. I just put them in straight up with the peel, no baggies or anything.
  • cristaine
    Options
    definitely peel and freeze. They make wonderful smoothies this way! (or semi-soft "ice cream" if you have a strong enough blender and can mix with cocoa etc.) chunks dipped into chocolate and kept frozen are also pretty good if you want a sweet/chocolate fix with less of the chocolate :)
  • redheaddee
    Options

Or slice them before freezing, and later pulse a handful in the blender to make a faux ice cream with a consistency very similar to the real thing! It's also good with a spoonful of nut butter or some cocoa powder blended in.

I am liking the way you thnk...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have to share this! I made homemade chocolate chip banana pancakes tonight! They're whole wheat and 171 calories a piece. Let me know if you'd like the recipe!

By the way bananas do freeze well but only if you intend to use them in something rather than just eating them. I just peel them and put them in ziploc bags to use for banana bread or other recipes later... You don't even have to peel them because they'll just slide right out of the peel when they're thawed but then the peel is kind of slimy.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Aww shucks bake some banana bread and donate it to a local shelter
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I LOVE frozen bananas! Cut them in half, put in a popsicle stick and freeze for a banana pop. If you need a sweet treat, buy some of the chocolate shell stuff and dip one - I grew up on those in the summer. Or, coat with peanut butter and copped nuts. They're the best!
  • redheaddee
    Options
    I do tend to put my over-ripe bananas in the freezer if I know I won't be able to eat them. Problem is, after they've been frozen they are only really good for smoothies or baked goods once thawed. I just put them in straight up with the peel, no baggies or anything.

This will work, and don't mind the smoothies or baked goods only part. In fact, I might have to stop by tomorrow and see if he has another case...
  • redheaddee
    Options
    I LOVE frozen bananas! Cut them in half, put in a popsicle stick and freeze for a banana pop. If you need a sweet treat, buy some of the chocolate shell stuff and dip one - I grew up on those in the summer. Or, coat with peanut butter and copped nuts. They're the best!

OMG this is a freaking excellent idea!
  • scottg1024
    Options
    I don't even peel them...freeze 'em whole. When they are needed, cut off the tip and they squeeze right out of the skin. And here -
    I haven't tried it yet, but this was posted on a thread a few days ago:

Banana Soft-Serve
    http://www.choosingraw.com/banana-soft-serve/

Even the thread had awesome ideas:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/735720-banana-soft-serve
  • Sililily115
    Options
    I love banana and avocado! You can make ice cream, pudding, smoothies, ect with them :smile:
    this is a good recipe for pudding! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/alexs-raw-chocolate-pudding/#

or...

this! http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/05/avocado-banana-ice-cream.html
    and you could add cocoa or peanut butter of whatever you want