How do I stop being so horrible with my water ?

Options

Replies

• MsMandy23
    Options
    If you just make yourself do it, you will be surprised by how easy it becomes later. I use to have to FORCE myself to drink 8 glasses a day- I hated it! After months of making myself do it everyday, if I only drink 8 glasses im sooo thirsty. I usually drink 11-15 glasses a day. Just suck it up and drink it, its great for you!
  • CjsWifey
    Options
    Use a straw - weird, but I find I drink more with a straw.

I know when I drink alcohol I drink a lot more with a straw.. lol. But with water, if I have the sports top I drink a lot more and out of a bottle
  • MarissaH85
    Options
    Buy a really pretty water bottle that you love and take it EVERYWHERE you go! I got one with an easy snap open/closed lid so its fast.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Get a cup with a straw. You will be amazed how much more you will drink.

This is absolutely, unbelievably true.

And it may be a cheat, but I count Crystal Light and the like as water. I know, some will lecture about the artificial blah blah blah...and I know it, and don't care. I drink more water when it has some zero calorie flavor.

I agree. I hate plain water. I figure crystal in water is better than the soda. :ohwell:
  • JanineAron
    Options
    I find that I only enjoy my water if it is ice cold so I always make sure it comes straight from the fridge or if I am at the gym, I fill up on water from the fountain as it is always ice cold. I carry a 2 litre bottle with my wherever I go and make sure by the end of the day, I have finished it. I kind of challenge myself with this and find the more water I drink the more I want to drink. There is no quick solution but just perseverance. Good luck!
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I have filtered water. I also have 5, 24 oz metal bottles of water. I bought them at the dollar store. So I keep them filled and rotate them. When I get tired of water I add a crystal light. But for the most part the first two steps helped greatly. I cannot drink nasty tasting water either.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Open mouth. Drink Water. Do not dump water out, take glass with you.

or a straw. Straws always help.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the straw comments. I notoriously was HORRIBLE with my water intake. My fiance's family used to make fun of me and always give me toddler cups at dinner because they knew I wouldn't drink anything with my dinner. I bought a 24 oz nalgene bottle with a screw on straw top and I'm drinking over 200 oz a day!!! Seriously...straws work!
  • imlea
    Options
    I had a hard time drinking water as well. I had to play a game with myself, in order to get into a habit and now it is! I could not have my coffee until I had my 12 oz of water. And, I have to have my coffee. Then at lunch no tea until water first. At dinner water and then a diet soda drink. Eventually, I would just drink the water and be done. Just in the morning I still need my coffee.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Add alittle flavor/packet....
    Just know that its important and YOU HAVE to drink it lol.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it more if it is really ice cold. I take a big water bottle, cram as much ice in it as I can, then put in the water. I keep the water bottle with me and drink from it periodically. 2-3 bottles full = 1 day's water. You could also fill a water bottle and put it in the fridge over night so you would have pre-chilled water in the morning.

Oh, and a slice of cucumber in it really does make it extra refreshing.
  • deedeehopes
    deedeehopes Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get a cup with a straw. You will be amazed how much more you will drink.

I totally agree with this. I got one of the Venti sized insulated cold cups from Starbucks and end up drinking several cups per day.
    Yeah I didn't start drinking a lot of water until I got a straw! I think it's the whole mindless sipping that helps.
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree straw makes a big difference!!:drinker:
  • Shimmerrzz
    Shimmerrzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You dont even have to add a lot of crystal light...just a touch of lemon flavor helps so much!!! Totally counts as a water!!! One of the docs I work with does it too!:drinker:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd fill up a glass, take a few big sips / mouth full and dump the rest down the drain :indifferent:

That's OK, just have a few sips lots of times during the day and it will add up.
  • purplekitty13
    Options
    My well water tastes a bit metallic too. I found that using a PUR water pitcher does wonders. I can't even tell the difference between the filtered water and bottled.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it more if it is really ice cold. I take a big water bottle, cram as much ice in it as I can, then put in the water. I keep the water bottle with me and drink from it periodically. 2-3 bottles full = 1 day's water. You could also fill a water bottle and put it in the fridge over night so you would have pre-chilled water in the morning.

I have a Camelbak bottle with a built-in straw and a bite valve. I fill it halfway (at least) with ice then fill it to the rim with water, shove in the straw, close the lid and go. Usually drink the whole 24 oz. while at the gym or in the car on the way home (and sometimes have to refill there). At work, I always keep a cup full of ice and keep refilling it with water. Adds extra steps going back and forth to the ice machine and the water pitcher, too. Fill it up for the ride home and drink at least 12 oz in the car. At home, I only allow myself to drink water with my vitamins which adds another 6-8 oz in the morning and at night.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The best way to be better with your water is to drink more water. <3
  • tiffanybillig
    tiffanybillig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Id say if you absolutely don't enjoy it is to add some Mio. Then slowly start adding less until you get used to it. I was never a big water drinker and I just told myself that I need to get used to it because its good for me. And now I really enjoy it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Contigo brand, 24oz spill-proof water bottle. I fill it from my fridge dispenser with filtered water, and it goes everywhere I go. I drink waaaaay more water than I used to by keeping a bottle with me at all times. Everyone in my family has two bottles in a different color so we know who's is who's. Bottle and lid is dishwasher safe - yay!

Contigo also has a bottle with a straw, also spill-proof, some insulated models, larger capacity, etc.