Best piece of fitness/weight loss advice you have...

Options

Replies

• AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do this for yourself, not for others. :)
  • leish85
    Options
    Best piece of advise i've ever been given....

"you can never regret a workout".

So true, how many of have decided to skip the gym, sat at home annoyed at ourselves & then possibly eaten crap. This sticks in my head all the time when i think about missing a workout. I walk out of the gym proud of myself for pushing through :)
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    It's too hard to choose just one, so here are the MAIN ones that I swear by:

Drink lots of water
    Don't drink your calories (limit your shakes, soda, alcohol etc)
    Don't eat carb heavy foods after lunchtime (if at all)

14 months ago I literally weighed 50% more than what I do now, so I know what I'm talking about. That being said, everyone is different and you need to see what works for you. Good luck to all the newbies out there who want to change their life! If I can do it, anyone can. x
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    If you look as "pretty" as you did before you worked out after you finish, you're not working hard enough.
    this ^

oh man I look like a hot mess when I'm done hhahaha. The sweat patches on the knees is the best!

'I totally regret that workout' said noone, ever.

Sweat is fat crying. I said that to a team mate who I was working with once, she completely lost it and put more effort in than I'd seen before.
  • cindybindyboo
    Options
    sweat is fat crying
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: Give a Damn!

About yourself, your health, those that care about you, your long term goals and dreams. Don't quit yourself and those that care about you.

That is all far more important than the passing satisfaction of eating whatever food craving that will push you over to giving up.
    ^ This is awesome. Totally agreed.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry and only eat until you're satiated, not bursting full.

Find a form of exercise that you enjoy doing, so it doesn't feel like a chore but instead you look forward to it.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    Set the goals, but NOT the timeline!

I got this advice from one of MFP user. She's lost 177 lbs! yes 177 lbs, and she's in her 50s.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Instead of setting one big goal like "I'm going to lose 45 pounds" set a million tiny goals like "I'm going to lose a pound this week" or "I'm going to be under my calorie goal today" or "I'm going to work out for two hours today."

You'll feel like you are accomplishing something instead of just thinking about how far away from your big goal you are. And as these little things keep adding up, you'll watch your big goal get closer and closer.

^^^. So agree! Sometimes for me it comes down to working on and getting through just today - one day turns into a full week of having met my goals and the week flows into a month, but I've only had to work the single day at hand
  • Devcon03
    Devcon03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    * Learn to love the work out, no matter what shape it comes in - be it the gym, hiking or cleaning your home.

* Think of food as fuel, and yourself as the finest piece of engineering ever made; nature is on your side.

* Treat yourself now and then, with moderation - just remember that food isn't the only way of spoiling the self.

* Ask yourself if you want a long, healthy life or just fast/easy results.

This works for me.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    To workout is using your body....not your mind to think about all that stuff around!
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Set the goals, but NOT the timeline!

I got this advice from one of MFP user. She's lost 177 lbs! yes 177 lbs, and she's in her 50s.

I love this one!! I tried to set a timeline and was disappointed when my body refused to stick to it, but of course it wouldn't! I am not a robot.

One of the best I've heard is "You are not a dog, don't reward yourself with food." This is great because it just reminds me that it's not just my habits that need to change but my attitude to food overall!!
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eat more, not less. Just change what you put in your face from crap to fuel. NEVER give up, even if you get stuck ... for 7 weeks ... and you want to just say screw it... don't stop, try harder!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    oh oh!
    and
    deiting is losing weight, you're bound to find it again.
    changing your life is getting rid of it. For good.

Love this bit of advise! Thanks!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    don't eat when you're not hungry.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    NEVER Give Up! =]
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    One bad choice doesn't ruin your diet, your week or even your day. Thinking that a bog of chips or a fast food meal or a giant bowl of icecream ruined you is what will ruin your hard work. Instead, thinking of it as just something to deal with and then making a better choice at your next opprotunity will get you to your goals.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Eat more, not less. Just change what you put in your face from crap to fuel. NEVER give up, even if you get stuck ... for 7 weeks ... and you want to just say screw it... don't stop, try harder!

I had been stuck since EASTER. I was ALMOST to that point. I upped my calories from 1750 to 1900...lost a pound my first week.

EAT PEOPLE!!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee to you that if you change your lifestyle to include more fresh fruits and vegetables you wont regret it. If you have a hard time eating the vegetables then make a smoothie. This way its easier to swallow.