A change of taste

Options
I'm down 35 lbs now and have pretty much converted myself to all healthy foods. I'm really proud of my progress but I've noticed one HUGE change; I now can not get enough spicy food!!! I used to HATE spicy anything. Even pepper was too much for me at times. Now that I've changed my eating habits I can't get enough spicy! I throw jalapenos on everything and eat peppers raw. I actaully CRAVE spicy foods now! I am curious if anyone else has had drastic changes in taste buds with a change?

Replies

• musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I already loved spicy foods, so welcome to a whole new world of flavors! That seems like an odd change - the only thing I've noticed is that I am much more sensitive to sweetness, and to a fatty mouthfeel, now that I have reduced those things.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've noticed fruits are a lot sweeter.
    Something like I used to eat...like chocolate death Ben and jerry's is way too sweet. I don't even crave ice cream anymore.
    I look at white pasta and don't want it, because it's not going to help anything...and it's going to cause my blood sugar to go up and then my insulin will go up...no. not worth it.
    I think that's probably the biggest change. A lot of things just aren't worth it.
    not that I'm saying I'm perfect...but I'm controlled. Even when I broke down for a muffin the other day I only ate 1/4 of it. A very small piece.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I too, have noticed things seem sweet enough. I use to love things really sweet. I can eat strawberries that aren't that ripe from the store on my cereal and not have to add sugar or honey.

I also notice I like to add heat to a lot of my food. Don't know if I'll be able to eat jalapenos straight any time soon, but I do like to add Sriracha sauce to things. The heat is just right for me. I add a squirt to all my salads with vinegar and flax oil. Tonight I made a soup for dinner and thought next time I'll add some Sriracha.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Our taste buds change. Usually as we get older, senses to certain flavors become duller, so salt, pepper and spices can make food taste better.
  • adietron
    Options
    Something like I used to eat...like chocolate death Ben and jerry's is way too sweet. I don't even crave ice cream anymore.
    Same here, the smell of a doughnut is almost nauseating. I don't even take sugar in my tea anymore.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of spicy food! Love spicy, hot food, because I come from a country with cuisines that have no lack of spices. And chillis has its great nutrients too, just don't go overboard with it, take care of the stomach lining.