Best time for a workout ?

Options
Maybe some of you have the answer to my question

Is it better to workout in the morning, or at night after a day of eating ?
any difference for cardio and weights ?

Thanks !
may

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of you have the answer to my question

Is it better to workout in the morning, or at night after a day of eating ?
    any difference for cardio and weights ?

Thanks !
    may
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I have always been taught to do cario after weights because you burn the most aft that way.

I have also read that doing Cardio in the am and weight training in the evening is great but who has time to go to the gym twice a day.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    I read that you should do weights first then cardio coz your muscles will have already used the carbs stored and then by doing cardio after your body is forced to use stored fat also you speed your matabolism up for hours after weight training so you get a double wammy once you begin cardio.

I personally do my exercise 1 hour after breakfast I find I get stitch if I do it later in the day but the only person who knows is yourself just workout out at whatever time of day suites you at the end of the day you need to make it do able or you won't stick to it and that is what is important.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    I read that you should do weights first then cardio coz your muscles will have already used the carbs stored and then by doing cardio after your body is forced to use stored fat also you speed your matabolism up for hours after weight training so you get a double wammy once you begin cardio.

I personally do my exercise 1 hour after breakfast I find I get stitch if I do it later in the day but the only person who knows is yourself just workout out at whatever time of day suites you at the end of the day you need to make it do able or you won't stick to it and that is what is important.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been told and read that exercising on the morning is better b/c it gives you tons of energy so you can get through the day. I agree with this ever since I started walking/running last year. It gives me such a boost and gets me in a good mood. but then again, you should exercise when the time is best for you.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    The time of day you work out is really up to you and what your body wants to do. Many people find that after a work out later in the day that it's more difficult to relax and go to sleep because you're all pumped up.

For me personally I've always gotten up early and accomplished my work outs first thing in the morning before breakfast. My exercise is cardio and weights mixed in with each other over the full time I'm working out. My wife will do about a mile on the treadmill jump off and do weights and abs then back on the treadmill for another mile followed by weights and then another mile on the treadmill with weights, exercise ball and cool down routine. Each of us have had success with our routines and they are different from each other.

You may want to visit these sites for some more detailed answers:

http://www.bluesuitmom.com/health/personaltrainer/exercisetime.html

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/a/cardio_weights_2.htm

Hope this helps. Bob
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can stick with. Most people can stick with a morning workout. I can't. I'm an afternoon person. Whatever works for you is best.
    As far as Cardio/weights goes, I do weights first because I can lift more when I'm fresh (after a short cardio warm up). But again, it's what works for you and what you will stick with.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what the BEST time for a workout is, but for me, it is whenever I can do it! So, just do it!!!