Weight loss and peircings?

Options
I want to get my belly button pierced. Will losing weight affect this if I get it done before I lose the weight? If it's relevant, I'm 240, hoping to get down to 150 or so. I can't really find any helpful info online, I get things like "I'm 130, trying to lose ten pounds or so, will it affect my piercing?" and I need to lose a lot more than that, so I don't know.

Also I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum area but I didn't know where it should go.

Replies

• tcpowell25
    Options
    I have my naval pierced and it didn't affect anything. The more inches and weight that I lost the better it looked.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Why not use the piercing as a reward for losing some weight. Like if you lose 50 pounds, you'll get your piercing. Me, I'm going to get a new tatoo when I get to goal weight.
  • spreag
    spreag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm the same I have 5 tattoos atm but I really want a piece down my ribs and I'm not doing that until I reach my goal of 125lbs :D
    i'm not really into belly-button piercings they're kinda common but I think I will get one as a reward in the new year, just because it won't be gross to show it off haha (:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I had my belly button pierced when I was slim, but I gained weight rapidly around that time and that may have contributed to it never really healing properly. Though it was ramming the lawnmower into it repeatedly that made me realise I was probably too old for it :laugh:

I'd wait to get a bit closer to your goal weight as it's hard to know if you'll have any loose skin that may or may not firm up to see what your belly will look like when you're ready to show it off.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't affect your piercing if you are losing weight, although I can't speak from experience with belly button piercings. My only piercing is below the waist and that's doing fine. The girl bits didn't seem to be altered by weight loss :laugh:
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    whilst it won't affect the piercing as pp said i would wait a bit to see what your tummy will look like. Maybe treat yourself at your half way point, the only reason i say this is that as a body piercer i've seen many womens tummies & sometimes weight loss leaves stretch marks/wrinkles through the navel which can affect the way the jewellery sits therefore i think you would be happier with the end result after you've lost some weight. Also without sounding rude, if you've got too much belly the piercing won't heal wel as when you're sitting/bending the piercing will get squashed by the fat putting pressure on the wound causing imflammation & swelling which could cause the jewellery to embed in the wound. Not trying to scare you but this is the advice i give larger ladies, (i'm over 200lb myself)
  • marmitebirdie
    marmitebirdie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i had mine pierced and after having 2 kids its stretched out really badly. but most ppl i know theirs are fine, think i was just unlucky
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    Go to a piercing shop and ask your piercer. I weigh 120lbs but my fat sits in a 'shelf' above my naval which means the bar would sit diagonally and possibly reject. I could try somewhere else but he's done all 25 of my piercings and I'd trust him with my life
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I got mine pierced when I was younger and bigger. I had just stopped doing activites and had gained some weight was still gaining after my piercing. Now, since being on here I've loss about 20-25 pounds since then and it hasn't affected mine piercing yet. If this doesn't help you could always ask the person that is going to actually do the piercing or a tattoo parlor will give some good advice also. Hope this helps out.
  • nadsazombie
    Options
    mine has stayed the same looking actually you can see it better now ahhahahahaha
    granted ive only lost 17 pounds.

my tattoos have all stayed the same.
    and hoping they will. id hate for my sleeves to get ruined:grumble:
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    tattoos and piercings usually don't alter unless its a rapid weight gain/loss for example pregnancy. my belly ring (like someone else posted) migrated during my pregnancy and now theres scar tissue. i'm hoping to re pierce it soon, atleast the scar tissue will be covered up somewhat by a ring.
  • hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i got my bellybutton piercing as a reward for when i reached 135 which was one of my big goals last year. the more i lose weight, the better it does, though! it sits straighter and is less likely to be forced in a weird position by the way your stomach lies when you are sitting down. i guess the only concern i would have for you, is if you do strenuous exercise on a weekly basis. Getting moved around and knocked is the fastest way to have a problem (ie infection or rejection) Unfortunately, i never really got into the whole "exercise" thing, ha, so that never really affected mine, but i was still surprised by the number of times i managed to hit it with a hula hoop, or, tmi, during sex. bellybutton piercings are some of the sloooooooowest healing piercings, and thats something to keep in mind.
  • nadsazombie
    Options
    so i have to ask since were on the subject of belly piercings. Did any mama’s out there use those pregnancy belly rings???
    Ya know with the silicone middle?
    and did they work???
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Also without sounding rude, if you've got too much belly the piercing won't heal wel as when you're sitting/bending the piercing will get squashed by the fat putting pressure on the wound causing imflammation & swelling which could cause the jewellery to embed in the wound. Not trying to scare you but this is the advice i give larger ladies, (i'm over 200lb myself)

You didn't sound rude, that was one thing I was worried about too. Thanks for letting me know it's legitimately a worry. :)
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    i guess the only concern i would have for you, is if you do strenuous exercise on a weekly basis.

What counts as strenuous enough to hurt a peircing? THat was another question I had. I do mostly things like the elliptical because it's the least painful for my joints. Hah.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not wearing tight clothing (like Spanx or something) and your navel isn't more 'inwards' to where you would need to move skin to see the piercing because of a stomach fold (sorry if that's a horrible description, haha) then you'll be fine. Mine has been okay throughout weight loss and gain.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    i guess the only concern i would have for you, is if you do strenuous exercise on a weekly basis.

What counts as strenuous enough to hurt a peircing? THat was another question I had. I do mostly things like the elliptical because it's the least painful for my joints. Hah.

It will be fine with exercise. Make sure you're not over-cleaning it though if you tend to exercise multiple times a day as you could really dry the piercing out and cause more issues. Also, I'd highly suggest a CBR as your initial jewelry for easier cleaning.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I would strongly suggust you wait!!!
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    so i have to ask since were on the subject of belly piercings. Did any mama’s out there use those pregnancy belly rings???
    Ya know with the silicone middle?
    and did they work???

I've never had to use them, but they are a good option for pregnant women as long as the piercing is FULLY healed.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Not sure I had my navel pierced and then got pregnant it didn,t cope well with that and ended up scarred.