Pedaling the Taco Bell diet? Really?

Options
2»

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    ...Taco Bell on the other hand goes straight through me so I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I rarely ever have it....

:laugh: I thought that's how the woman in the commercial lost weight....the intestinal effect! :laugh:

Exactly!!!!!
  • judy2010
    Options
    oops, post in error
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right that salt is bad for hypertension. Sorry, I didn't think of that. I just don't have a hypertension issue..

When I am watching my calories, I ditch the salty, packaged foods (fries, chips, bottled salad dressings, bread etc). and try to make most things at home and from scratch. I have to remember to routinely add iodine into my diet. Our bodies do not store iodine. Iodine deficiency is not a good thing, and has been linked to hypothyroidism, brain deficiencies, mental retardation, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain.... So, a pinch here while making my food is good for me. But, it may not be good for others.

Beans? I looked at www.tacobell.com , and here's just their bowl of beans (both regular and al fresco)

YOUR TRAY

(1) Pintos 'n Cheese Beans, Cheddar Cheese, Red Sauce
    180 calories and 7 grams of fat (3.0 saturated)

(2) Fresco Style:
    130 calories and 2.5 grams of fat (.5 saturated).

Thank you, Skating.....:flowerforyou:

I learned something about the TB menu. I thought the only beans they had were refried. I will have to check their website to see if they have sodium info included for the al fresco beans. In a pinch, they might keep me from starvation, as their is a TB about 2 blocks from my office.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Taco Bell! I love all Mexican food, for that matter, and wish I was Mexican. What a grand heritage of food they have. From the chef Rick Bayless's recipes...to the corporate chefs at Yum!/Pepsi that make the Taco Bell menu.

As for Taco Bell, I eat it about once a month. When I do, I stick with a bean burrito and a tostada (just a weakness of superb flavors). I try to get them al fresco, and have for years. Salt, is not so bad for women, especialy if it is iodized (supports healthy thyroid...which is the master of our weight). Beans aren't bad for you! And, shouldn't cilantro be a super food? Even so, I can't say that I ever lost weight on Taco Bell. It's a treat.

SALT IS NOT SO BAD FOR WOMEN???? Hello?? Have you ever heard of HYPERTENSION ( AKA High Blood Pressure)? Yes it is true that iodized salt is better for your thyroid, BUT the fact remains that too much sodium is a BAD thing, even for those who don't have high BP. I do, so I watch it.

Beans are a good thing, but they can be laced with sodium and in the case of refried beans, lots of fat.
    They played that commercial on the Rose Bowl, just as I was leaving to watch the rest of it at my parents' place. If my pc hadn't already been shut down, I would have posted about it then, so I am glad the original poster did. I agree it is relative. The al fresco menu is a little better, BUT I still haven't eaten Taco bell in about 5 or 6 months because anything I can choose to get there--for the calories--won't fill me for very long, compared to other choices.
    \

everyone needs sodium. look it up. over 2000 a day i believe. my doctor recommended more sodium to me because i have blood pressure drops throughout the day. so there are two sides.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Yes, agreed, everyone does need sodium. Especially those who sweat a good deal exercising on a daily basis. Along with sodium, we also need iodine, which outside of natural sea salts, is consumed hand in hand with good 'ole table salt. Certainly those with hypertension may require a lower daily dose of sodium, but they need SOME in their diet.

And honestly, I think the commercial is goofy and about the same level of stupidity as the Subway "Jared" diet - eat a whole sub and get twice your daily allowance of carbs YUMMMY!...but I digress... Like someone else posted it seems to be aimed at those who do consume food on the go on a daily basis. For those folks, the fresco menu is an improvement over the regular menu, believe it or not.

Let's look at it this way - you're on a road trip and need some grub and FAST. Where do you go? Which chains effectively market "healthier" options on their menu? Well, I'm sure Subway comes to mind. Maybe a McD's chicken wrap or grilled salad? Possibly a Chick Fil 'A grilled chix salad? Or how about a bit of grilled KFC chicken (nevermind the sodium content)? These are all considerably BETTER choices than a bacon double cheeseburger, are they not? Taco Bell has simply begun to market to the health conscious consumer. I may not agree with their "fresco diet" campaign, but certainly increasing awareness that they have lower calorie menu options is a start. And mark my word, you'll see other chains following the trend in the coming months.