Buffet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    Well, considering my dining options here are pretty much buffet style, I have no choice.
    But it's still quite easy to not overdo it, especially since it's set up in a way that you pay for your food after you've weighed it out and such. I just make sure I take reasonable portions and I've always been statisfied, never felt stuffed or anything.

And I really stopped finding takeout Chinese food appetizing once I started watching what I ate. Some homemade Chinese dishes are great, but there's just something so...unsettling about eating Chinese food at a restaurant that I don't like. Maybe it's the salty sauces or something.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Probably once every other month. Since I don't go alot, I just enjoy myself and not worry too much about the calories. Gotta live life
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here go to buffets anymore? Do you go and exercise lots of restraint and eat very little? Do you eat a lot and make up for it the next day by eating less? Do you just avoid buffets altogether? :S would love to hear everyone's opinions!!!

Have you read Kitchen Confidential? Buffets are often leftovers covered in high calorie sauces.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Sushi buffet is the only exception. Mmmm...sushi...
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I avoid, don't have that much control
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I try to get one plate only. That way, I can have a couple of bites of everything I want and not go too far overboard. This might not work for everyone, though. I'm weird about my food touching, so it's good portion control for me, but if you don't mind it touching and pile up the one plate, you might end up with too much food anyway.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I don't have the Phone application since I have a cheap prepay phone. But I keep a close tab on my intake. Actually the kids wanted hot dogs while we were running errands so I gave in. But when I placed their order at a Sam's Club and asked how many calories the hot dog was and the clerk couldn't answer I decided not to eat. My Mom is in town for 3 weeks and she loves Chinese Food. They recently opened a new Buffet and they do offer Healthy Choices. THey have a grill and I can get everything grilled without adding sauce. It taste pretty good. But not like I used to eat but my eating has also changed so I am sure I will be eating less and be watching everything I put on my plate. Although there will be one Egg Roll calling my name as well as one Crab Wonton. Have a great evening.
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mmmm i love me some chinese buffets!

FAVORITE food by far!

but unfortunatly, i can only go once in a very great while... so hard!

I have tried eating some healthy fill me ups like peanut butter, nuts, egg or two before I go and this tends to help with over eating because I am already half full!

Good idea!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid buffets just cuz the food usually isn't worth it. Went to Stevie B pizza buffet today though and they have great choices for under 200 calories and a big salad :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    One of my kids has an annual team dinner at a buffet. That is a tough one. My goal is to eat things most in their natural state. No creamy, cheesy, gooey. Just the plainest meats and vegetables, especially vegetables!
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I make sn exception for Sweet Tomato buffet. Salad, soups, potato bar, frozen yogurt and fruit infused water.
  • lisamurphy7227
    Options
    we go out to eat pretty often. ive kinda turned it into a game to find better options on menus. i also dont eat any meat other than fish, so i take full advantage of talking with servers about substitutions. when i first started with this site i did an annoying (to my husband) amount of research on restaurants. we havnt tried a buffet yet but it doesnt really seem worth it. is there something at that buffet that youre reeeeally craving? but i can be polite and just go if the family wants to go that bad. id rather lose out on a few bucks and save my waist line than try to get my dollars worth at a buffet.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm low carbing it, so buffets are very doable! Salads with dressing, meats, some soups, veggies, yum!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have an aversion to buffets. Usually they emphasize quantity rather than quality.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the Chinese buffet a few times since starting in January. Fortunately the one I go to has an hibachi option, so I get to load my plate with fresh veggies and some protein (chicken or shrimp) and have them cook it in front of me. I always tell them to go light with the sauce because I'm also tracking my sodium intake. Also there is a salad bar with fruit if I want something else. If I pick other food, I try to get the baked, non-breaded items like fish or chicken and also veggies with minimal sauce.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Sushi buffet is the only exception. Mmmm...sushi...

i'll allow it