Geocaching anyone?

Options
I am very interested in geocaching. Have joined the www and have found one geo this summer. I live in New England. Anyone into this wanna buddy up for exercise?

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i had to look this up to see what it was, looks like a fun hobby that will give a decent workout! have fun
  • hilarij
    hilarij Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks, I will. Got to laugh at your smile. Last year I tried to wii box and hit myself in the face! :laugh:
  • mswing7674
    Options
    if you go to www.geocaching.com you can find a ton of them logged on the website :) it is so much fun
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    before i start an account please explain what exactly this is?
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    From the geocaching website:

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

The caches are everywhere. Some are easy to find and others hard. Exercise comes in by walking (or canoeing) to the site. GPS coordinates are given and you have to find the hidden surprise. Its a great way to get kids involved in exercise. Adults have fun too.
  • hilarij
    hilarij Posts: 22
    Options
    I belong to the Geo Cache www. TONS of great info. I want to join the New England Group at some point.
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been hearing about geo caching for about a year now. I'm an avid hiker and I really would like to get into this and incorporate it in with my hiking. It sounds like a blast.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Hi there MFPers ... I just did a search on MFP for Geocaching and came across this thread. A friend of mine just started geocaching and is so excited about it ... she told me about it because she knows I love hiking and thought this might add a new dimension to it. It all looks so interesting, I've checked out the web site and am now looking into getting a handheld gps, and I've registered for the basic membership too. I was walking a trail the other day and saw a couple of women with their gps's and pointing out into a field so I asked them if they were geocaching and they were. One of them has been at it for a couple of years and has logged over 900 caches ... holy cow eh? I can't wait to get started.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Well, I've been Geocaching now since May and I must say ... it's definitely my new addiction. I use a handheld Garmin with a Geocaching program that allows me to download 5 caches per day from their site. It's been awesome, I'm constantly amazed at the things I've discovered right here in my own neighbourhood ... trails, beaches, lighthouses, cemeteries, streams, waterfalls, you name it ...I had no idea these things were here, and I've lived here my whole life!!! My BFF and I went on a weekend road trip so I found out what caches would be in the area we were going to and we cached there too ... seriously, I love doing this and I get great pictures and memories along the way. If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend it for fresh air and exercise :flowerforyou: