WHEY PROTEIN?

Options
WHEY PROTEIN? Was thinking of getting a protein powder to make shakes in the morning for breakfast or when I am on the go? What is the best for someone trying to lose weight & not necessarily for exercise. Because when I checked the can out it said to use "After Exercise" but can it be taken daily as just a supplement & help weight loss ????

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The directions just say that. you're fine taking it any time.

If you're watching your weight I'd reccommend looking into Scivation Whey. No carbs.

I also like Dymatize and Optimum Nutrition.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh okay, thanks!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake for breakfast 3 to 5 days a week. Holds me well.
    Cytosport 100% whey at Costco.
    Mixed with skim milk.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I only do it once a day after every workout but I think working with protein shakes you have to be careful how much you take and how much you burn while doing exercises. If your workouts are intense, you should take a lot but if your workout is moderate you should not take so much!
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes is also a fattening supplement. If you don't exercise as much your body turns that protein into extra storage fat.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes is also a fattening supplement. If you don't exercise as much your body turns that protein into extra storage fat.

^^^^ wrong... protein shakes are just a food not a supplement. its like eating a chicken breast or a can of tuna its just protein. can you get fat off eating tuna fish? sure but u have to eat a caloric surplus.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I really like the Biochem Vanilla Whey Isolate Powder. It's only 110 calories per 2 scoops and 20g of protein, 0 fat, and very little carbs. It mixes really well, either in water, milk, or in a breakfast shake, and doesn't have the chalky taste like some other powders can. Amazon also has it on sale right now for $23.50 + shipping for a 29.9oz can.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake for breakfast 3 to 5 days a week. Holds me well.
    Cytosport 100% whey at Costco.
    Mixed with skim milk.

MMM muscle milk right? My favorite and it isn't too bad with water and ice blended up :)
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    great topic! was JUST thinking about adding protein shakes to get my protein up. i seem to stall out around 60-70g per day.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input.

My weeks rotate in shifts at work - so every other week its nearly impossible for me to "Eat" breakfast so I thought if I could find a delicious, healthy, protein shake that would be better than the iced coffee I have been drinking recently instead haha.

I really appreciate all the suggestions - Im gonna take a look around & find something :) I will keep you all updated. Thanks!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein, I don't know if it is just placebo effect, but "slow digesting protein" makes me feel fuller longer. I like Optimum Nutrition for both whey and casein. Currently obsessed with their cake batter casein flavor. So decadent tasting.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cytosport 100% whey at Costco is good stuff. I blend mine in a Vitamix with frozen blueberries, water, kale, and spinach.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I prefer casein, I don't know if it is just placebo effect, but "slow digesting protein" makes me feel fuller longer. I like Optimum Nutrition for both whey and casein. Currently obsessed with their cake batter casein flavor. So decadent tasting.

^ Generally speaking I don't think that's placebo, I think it's correct. Casein digests slower and mixes a lot thicker, so for most people you will tend to feel fuller on casein.
  • notevenhere
    notevenhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Protein blends (whey, casein, and egg) taste much better than whey supps.. Look into iForce Protean, XF UP 2.0, or Trutein. And take your protein any time to supplement your overall caloric intake. That is your determining factor in weight loss.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Myofusion Probiotic. I have the cinnamon roll flavour right now and can't wait to try the peanut butter chocolate.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My protein powder is being shipped right now. I dont like shakes so I plan to add to my greek yogurt to get to my protein limit without add ing so much fat to my diet. My selection has only one 1g of fat and 2g of carbs.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Genuine Health Protein Plus Natural Chocolate is my current whey protein of choice. Two scoops are 110 calories, 2 g of carbs and 25 g of protein. It doesn't even taste bad. Just make sure to dissolve the powder in a bit of warm water and then top up your water bottle with cold. This stuff doesn't dissolve in cold water.
  • Awkward30
    Options
    My protein powder is being shipped right now. I dont like shakes so I plan to add to my greek yogurt to get to my protein limit without add ing so much fat to my diet. My selection has only one 1g of fat and 2g of carbs.

I tried that and hated it. I think my protein powder just wasn't sweet enough to cut the sour of greek yogurt.
  • Awkward30
    Options

^ Generally speaking I don't think that's placebo, I think it's correct. Casein digests slower and mixes a lot thicker, so for most people you will tend to feel fuller on casein.

I mostly put that in because I didn't want to attract people yelling broscience, since the only conclusive science I've read on the topic is that casein takes over 2 hours to digest... I haven't seen that that necessarily effects satiety, as compared to a whey protein.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I tried that and hated it. I think my protein powder just wasn't sweet enough to cut the sour of greek yogurt.

I love the taste of the flavored greek yogurts. It was funny it made the yogurt taste like cake batter to me haha