New and Just quit smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I quit in January, and had smoked for 15 years. I used the patches and did 2 weeks of each step. I can give my kids good night kisses now without feeling like I am shoving an ashtray in their face! That is the biggest and most disgusting image I kept in my head. Everyday I wanted to light a smoke I thought of them. How much I didn't want them to smoking as something you just do. I only think about it once in a while now, but I can run, play, exercise and so much more, all of those things make staying smoke free worth it!
    p.s. Food tastes so much better, the world smells different, I have time for things now, it is really amazing how much I missed out on!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    congrats! and well done! i quit smoking cold turkey on May 28, 2000. You can do it!
  • bridgettx78
    bridgettx78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was a 13 year smoker. quit for 18 months, smoked for 2 years - quit for 5 years, then was a closet smoker for a year and quit this past January. I have gained 10-15 lbs since, but I craved the cookies, candies. My advice is chewing gum, and when you feel the urge to eat - go for healthy foods. Celery, carrots, cucumbers, nuts. Cinnamon sticks and gum also help with the cravings.

You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking not only for yourself, but for the future of child. They have a better chance of not smoking since you will be a non smoker!!!
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. I have been smoke-free for more than four years and quitting was the best decision I ever made. But boy was it HARD. I had smoked for almost 15 years by that point. To keep from going crazy I always had something to chew on, whether it was carrots or sugar free gum... anything that would keep my mouth busy. That really helped. I also had a pencil handy to put in my hand and fidget with whenever the cravings hit. I know that might sound silly but just having something between my fingers helped. I also made sure to avoid all the places I used to smoke. Changing my daily routine (as much as I could) and focusing on eating healthy made the process easier. I spent a lot of time preparing extra tasty, healthy meals. This kept my mind off the cravings and because the meals were healthy I wasn't worried about gaining weight.

Feel free to add me and good luck! I always say if I could quit smoking, anyone can. It's difficult but doable.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You gave birth, so maybe not the HARDEST thing you've ever done :laugh:

I LOST weight when I quit b/c my cardiovascular health increased tremendously and I could do SO MUCH MORE. 5 min on a treadmill and I was done. Now at the gym if there's a movie or show on I like, I end up losing track of time, and not breath!!

BEST OF LUCK!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's funny how everyone remembers the date they quit smoking. I quit smoking cigarettes December 13, 2011. It was the single most amazing accomplishment of my life. But, don't get too congratulatory as far as I am concerned. You see, I switched to the electronic cigarette. In other words, I still use nicotine (although you can get it without nicotine) only. Since nicotine does not cause cancer and can be found in potatoes and red peppers, etc.. I thought this was the single most greatest step I could take Successfully (and I save a Ton of money when I finally got the right electronic cigarette and flavor). It was the easiest transition in the world. I still feel like I'm smoking (it's just water vapor), but all my blood results show that I am a non-smoker. One day, I hope to put that aside. But, for now.. I can breathe again, I can taste things again, and I'm so darned proud of myself!

I've tried quitting cold turkey before.. even lasted 2.5 years once. But, I wasn't strong enough. You have my complete and utter praise for making one of the single most important decision in your life.
  • Lady_Tilika
    Options
    Hi there :)

Congrats and best of luck with quitting :) ....

I have smoked for just over 30yrs now and a few ago I decided to give up for the time.... I wasn't game to just go cold but was timing my smokes and found that 1 week I only need to get 4 packets which was great :D.... In the end I stopped tring to quit as I was eatting more and putting on more weight :grumble:

Good luck with it again :happy: ... If you like add me as a friend and who knows I might even try again as I keep thinking about it :blushing: I do realize it will much better for any smoker to give up :flowerforyou:
  • gkent2012
    Options
    Think of quitting smoking this way - when you have a craving it is the cigarette chemicals stored in your body being released into your bloodstream to be flushed out of your system. Over time they get less and less as the body rids itself of the chemicals. Remember that you taught yourself to smoke while you were doing things life driving, after a meal, talking on the phone, drinking, break time at work. Now you have to "retrain" your brain to do these things without the cigarette. After you have done these activities a few times without the cigarette it gets easier and easier. I am now 24 years smoke free.
  • wapntake
    Options
    i would like to say congratulations for making this decision. I stopped smoking 15 years ago after smoking about 40 a day from being 16 (stopped at 36), it does get easier the longer you go and eventually you will get to dislike the smell of the cigarette, i hate the smell of cigarettes now and i realize how bad i must have smelled for all those years without knowing (like an ashtray as they say). my advice is keep at it and don't give in and you'll be better (and richer) off in the long run. if i could go back in my life and change one thing it would be to that night on my 16th birthday where someone gave me a cigar and i smoked it which set me off on 20 years of cigarettes. Be strong and don't let it beat you, feel free to add me if you like and keep me informed of your progress or if you need any support.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I joined the site 6 months ago... I quit smoking and started eating healthy and exercising.

I've lost 20lbs, Smoke Free, and have begun Free Weight Training
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I did it last year! Keep working at it. Be selfish and take care of yourself first. Workout when you want to smoke, drink lots of water and just start hating the smell. If you tell yourself it's nasty, it will be.

You can do this and not gain weight! raw green beans are a great snack, healthy and low fat!!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 18 years ago when my DH and I decided to have a baby. Every time I had a craving I did three jumping jacks and a glass of water. Congratulations on your decision to quit....you are doing it!
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old female, mother to a 7 year old son. Monday September 10, 2012 I smoked my LAST cigarette and quit COLD Turkey!! It has been quite a ride for the last 8 days but I am determined to be smoke free AND Healthy!! I need all the advice and support anyone has to offer on quitting smoking AND NOT gaining weight. :)

I just officially quit days ago. I've been on Chantix for a month and 1/2 and you are supposed to give up smoking after week 1 - which I did, but I still took in nicotine via e cigs or gum. I am a nicotine addict and it's been a difficult road but I want to really quit for good.

Deep deep breaths, if you feel the hand to mouth problem, see what works for you - snacking on veggies, chewing on a straw, sugar free gum ( I'm enjoying the mint chocolate gum).

If you can afford it there are e-cigs where you can buy 0 nicotine cartridges (which I am currently using now) helps with the gradually reduction of the psychological aspect.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago with the patch . A quick word on E cigs , while they are better than tradition cigs they do contain chemicals . Most people don't realize this as most of the info out there is from the e cig manufactures . The best plan for quitting is to just do it . I feel like I prolonged my misery by having just one cig if I was out drinking or around other smokers .
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I remember the date because it was our 20th anniversary.

I had better remember the date because it was our 20th anniversary.

I will continue to remember the date because otherwise it might no longer be our anniversary.