Healthy Recipes for Picky Eaters

Options
I'm having a lot of trouble finding healthy recipes for dinner because they often include veggies that I don't eat! What are some good recipes for such a picky eater?

Here's what I eat:
Veggies - corn, peas, green beans, uncooked carrots, celery, lettuce
Fruit - apples, bananas, grapes
Meat - just about anything including fish

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Start eating more fruits and veggies. Diet's suck without variety. You'll be happy you made the effort once you start enjoying the awesomeness that is fruits and vegetables.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you like chickpeas (garbonzo beans)? You could do lettuce, grilled chicken, chickpeas, carrots, and apples sliced up in a salad with a vinegarette... What about brown rice or sweet potatoes? Those could be part of a healthy lunch or dinner with grilled meat and veggies. :happy:
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    Take a few favorite veggies and roast them in the oven for 20" until lightly browned. Blend them up for a great pasta sauce.
    Take some of your lean (I hope) meat and grill it along with some of your favorite fruits (yes, fruits are great on the grill). Blend the fruits up for a great sauce for the meat.
    p.s.: Lean meats benefit greatly by being marinated for a few hours to tenderize them. Great example is Chimmichuri sauce for beef or chicken or fish. Really try to expand your horizons regarding foods. I suspect your Mom let you get away too often without trying a variety of foods!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm having a lot of trouble finding healthy recipes for dinner because they often include veggies that I don't eat! What are some good recipes for such a picky eater?

Here's what I eat:

Thanks for the help!

You can omit things you don't enjoy from recipes. :wink:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Here's what I eat:

Thanks for the help!

Well - salad's are always a great side with some lean meats. Try switching them up. Mix your veggies by adding some fruit to your salad - use a nice neutral dressing - really changes it.
    In the recipe section here, there recipes for green bean fries. That could switch it up.
    Have you tried different methods of cooking your meats. What about taking the veggies you like, throwing in some ground lean meat, and making a chilli?
    Have you tried making Fish tacos? Find a low cal wrap. Cube up the fish, season it up, bake them. Toss them on the wrap with some grated carrot, lettuce, corn if you like too. Add some salsa and or sour cream/greek yogurt. Red onion, tomato and avocado go great - but I don't know if you are wanting to try those.
    What about soups? Do you like soups? Sautee up some veggies, add in broth, a bay leaf. Shred up some chicken, maybe some pasta or rice and you have a hearty soup.
    What about taking the fruits you like and making a fruit salad? Or a smoothie? Heck, bake or sautee the fruits, and throw a little oatmeal and brown sugar on top to make a quick, low fat fruit crumble?
    Hope some of these ideas helped :)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked basmati rice with garlic and onion (1 cup) , grilled chicken thighs (4 oz) and no salt peas (1/2 cup) .................mixed it all up and Mmmmmmm.....it was like fried rice without the frying pan..........454 Calories
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There are so many things you can do!!

I have a one dish oven recipe and a one dish Stove recipe:
    OVEN:
    Pick Meat (Pork Chop, Lean Beef, Chicken, Turkey Meatballs). Pick veggies you like to eat. Roast them in same dish, using dehydrated onion and garlic powder/chopped garlic, add a bit of water to bottom of pan, and maybe some Butter Flavored Cooking Spray.

STOVE:
    Pick meat (Ground Turkey, Turkey Sausage/Kielbasa, Ground Beef). Pick flavor you're going for (Mexican, Italian, Greek, American). Just before meat has browned completely, add "liquid" (Salsa, Tomato Sauce, Broth/Stock - whatever goes with the flavor you're aiming for). Put appropriate veggies in (Corn for Mexican, Diced Tomatoes for Italian, Potatoes for Greek) and season (Cumin/Chili Powder, Oregano, Feta Cheese). Add whole grain pasta/rice if desired.
    Some of our favorite combos: Ground Turkey with Green Pepper, Salsa and Rice; Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Feta, Kielbasa with rice and Black Beans and corn)

Final plate should be 1/4 meat, 1/2 roasted veggies and remaining 1/4 as a salad or 100-150 cals of a whole grain pasta/rice/bread or potato.

Don't forget you can add some of these things to your lettuce and make a pretty terrific salad or even stand alone without the lettuce and make pretty great side dishes: Corn and salsa; Corn and black beans; Shredded or diced Chicken or Beef; Tuna Salad with Peas and Pasta; Apples with Raspberry Vinagraitte; Grapes, Chicken and Walnuts;
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Have you tried other vegetables? Don't knock it until you try it! Otherwise, take a recipe you like, and replace the veggies with ones you do like. :)