When The Sugar Addicts Attack You...

Options
I have had my family "added sugar/sweetener" free for a few weeks now (since school started) because of the entire family having ADHD symptoms as a result of sugar intake. Even excessive fruit triggers this ADHD-like response so I have to watch how much fruit they have and I don't allow fruit juices. I'm a pretty fair guy, I like to give in to everyone's needs and show them that I care by respecting their thoughts and fulfilling their desires; but today I'm torn between being the good guy and being the smart guy...

My son woke up and gave me a 10 minute speech about his dreams about candyland and how he ate a doughnut in his dream; meanwhile my daughter was begging for cookies and chocolate laced cereal for breakfast instead of the eggs I made and the bowl of cheerios (plain with 1g of sugar) I served her in almond milk (<1g of sugar). I did serve them both half a banana but that wasn't enough to satisfy their sugar cravings.... And my wife, she isn't a great role model either; she reached in the freezer to her private stock and ate an ice cream snickers bar and had that for breakfast instead of the nectarine that I put within reaching distance from her.....

Me? I wasn't an angel either. While I would have been satisfied with the scrambled eggs, 5 color bell pepper (red, orange, yellow, white, and green), a turkey sausage patty, a nectarine, 1/4 cup of rice, and a cup of unsweetened almond milk; I did have some dark chocolate almonds to knock out my sweet tooth too...

*sigh* If the kids and everyone have sugar laden foods in the morning then I get calls from the school, letters home from teachers, oppositional defiance from the kids, moodiness from the kids (and the wife), and no one does what is expected of them (homework, eating when dinner is served, going to bed when needed, doing what's asked of them instead of continuing their mindless self indulgence, etc).

I understand the body needs a certain level of glucose to function, but to avoid medicating my family (yes, including myself and my wife whom also has issues with ADHD), diet has been working. I just wish they didn't work AGAINST the diet because the only other option is Ritalin/Adderall (something my wife and I are against and are unwilling to hear arguments supporting it)....

*THIS IS A RANT. NO ADVICE OR RESPONSES ARE NECESSARY. JUST WANTED TO PUT IT OUT THERE BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A FACEBOOK TO NAG TO LIKE THE REST OF YOU DO.*

Replies

• GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Progress not perfection, right. ;)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yeah, just wish the progress I was making didn't feel like me walking upstream. I'd build a dam, but blocking off sugar entirely is hitting dangerous dictatorship instead of "positive role model"... :indifferent:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Cutting out excess sugar is *hard*. At our work place they had an article today that might be helpful: Dress Your Carbs. The gist is to make sure that all your simple carbs-the ones that easily turn to glucose in your system-are consumed with added protein. So apples with peanut butter or cheese, figs with ham, nectarines with eggs, etc. Another thing my doc mentioned is that it really helps if you consume the protein first during the meal. When I feed my kids, I tend to give them the protein first, then serve the fruit after they started consuming the protein. So if we're having eggs, I serve the eggs first. Then, when they've taken a few bites, I'll bring out the plate of apples. It's extra work, but it means they have some protein in them and are getting full before that sugary fruit hits the system. Doc says that can actually cut down on the sweet tooth, too.

It's a tough race for all of us who love those sugary foods (me too!). Great job working through diet first-I love to see folks doing the hard work to make change naturally like this! Keep it up!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    It sounds like this is your idea that you are implementing on the family, not their idea that you as a family are implementing. Now, that may be the way you do things, but sugar as an addictive substance shares this in common with others; you aren't going to get anyone to drop the addictive substance by force.

I understand you are attempting to control their ADHD with carb restrictions. It does help. For my own part, I finally discovered that I could plan, organize, and carb-restrict all I liked, and in the end, I needed a few milligrams of Adderall for it all to come together and function. Everyone with ADHD is different. I had a great deal of grief and anger when I did get mine treated at the years and years of struggle that could have been treated simply and let me be the person I truly am within. I hope that this becomes a lifestyle they all can appreciate the benefits of and live with, for their sakes.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    It sounds like this is your idea that you are implementing on the family, not their idea that you as a family are implementing. Now, that may be the way you do things, but sugar as an addictive substance shares this in common with others; you aren't going to get anyone to drop the addictive substance by force.

I understand you are attempting to control their ADHD with carb restrictions. It does help. For my own part, I finally discovered that I could plan, organize, and carb-restrict all I liked, and in the end, I needed a few milligrams of Adderall for it all to come together and function. Everyone with ADHD is different. I had a great deal of grief and anger when I did get mine treated at the years and years of struggle that could have been treated simply and let me be the person I truly am within. I hope that this becomes a lifestyle they all can appreciate the benefits of and live with, for their sakes.

Yeah, my wife and children don't want to be on a restrictive diet. But then again, they don't have self control either; so given the ability to eat whatever their heart desires would lead to 3 course meals of doughtnuts, ribs, or a combination of the two. They care more about feeding their cravings than they do about feeding their bodies.
  • The book "Potatoes not Prozac" helped me to deal with my sugar addiction. I don't eat the potatoe at bedtime as recommended but I do take 5 HTP at bedtime which is casually mentioned in the book. It helped me to understand the triggers. I hope it helps you and your family. You seem to be on the right path. All the best to you.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

So...what are the benefits for the kids/wife of going along with the plan? You get the calls etc from school, how does that impact them? They need to bear the costs of the sugar frenzy to be motivated to change.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That sounds hard... my mom did the same thing for my little brother who also has ADHD (This was like 15 years ago, when the effects of sugar on ADHD weren't very well known, so everyone thought she was crazy.) I remember that he HATED IT... but in my house, there wasn't much room for "discussion" with my mom. She was definitely in charge! Looking back, she knew what was best for him.

Every family is different though, and I hope things get easier for you and your little ones! I know school can be tough for kids with ADHD.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all you can. Keep at it!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for working on cutting out sugar. Keep at it. Yes, it is hard. Yes, many will moan and groan, but continue to provide other options. In years to come, the kids will realize the benefit. Work on purging the items with added sugar out of the house. If it is not available, then the less likely it will be chosen. I am sure you are already doing this.

Hope your wife will come around and be more supportive. If she must have the added sugar, maybe she can do so outside of the house. Not in front of the kids.

Thanks for sharing your rant. It has made me think. I have a husband who is very high energy. ADHD diagnosis but he copes well with exercise and physical activity in his job. But I think I will be looking into cutting out more added sugar in our house. I am not going to hound on him for eating his peanut butter cups, but at least we can reduce more of it in the house and be able to have a few splurges because we are not consuming it in everyday food!

Good Luck to you and thanks for sharing your store!
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love your dedication to the health of your family! Good for you for doing the hard thing. Let's face it, we all love sugar. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who truly didn't want something sweet from time to time. No addict wants to be weaned off of their substance of choice! I have a terrible sweet tooth, but I'm finding ways to hit the spot without the blood sugar spike! One of my favorites is greek yogurt with a sprinkling of several seeds and nuts, add in a spoonful of dried cranberries or a small amount of fresh fruit. Super delicious and the protein from the yogurt plus the fat from the nuts balance the small bit of sugar in the fruit. Very satisfying and seems like a treat. Good for breakfast or a dessert. Anyway, consider finding a few treats that are slightly sweet but very healthy and soon they will be asking for yogurt parfaits instead of donuts! Seriously though, good job Dad!
  • memc1965
    Options
    I will admit...I'm a "Sugar Addict". It was easier to quit smoking. I try to remember: being perfect is not real...being real is perfect. Keep up the good fight and be a true role model, but it is ok to give in.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You could perhaps try oatmeal with fruit, or cook fruit into a thick syrup/jelly (no added sugar) and serve on toast with the eggs. Or perhaps unsweetened yogurt, granola and berry parfaits for breakfast. They look like dessert, but are quite nutritious. The fruit will give you the sweetness without the added sugar.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was tested for ADD earlier this year after 33 years of struggle. I don't take any meds, I just learned to do things like reading differently. I am a true sugar addict (I would be like 100 lbs without the stuff). How did you start the no sugar? Do you think it's true that the chemicals in food such as MSG are as bad (if not worse) than sugar?
    If you try to be GF free do you still eat white rice?
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Stick with it. Children don't need donuts and candy, they need healthy nutritious foods that help their bodies and brains grow. We never had sugary stuff in the house at all when I was growing up, and none of the kids I know now do either.

They're just used to eating it - once they've adjusted they'll be fine. :smile:
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice on dealing with the sugar addiction... but now I know what I'm craving!
    3 course meals of doughtnuts, ribs, or a combination of the two.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

So...what are the benefits for the kids/wife of going along with the plan? You get the calls etc from school, how does that impact them? They need to bear the costs of the sugar frenzy to be motivated to change.

While I agree with this, the children (and wife) are oppositional and would blame authority over their behavior instead of themselves. So while I agree that letting them fail would be the best thing I could do for them, it would be many weeks, if not months, before they realize THEY are the problem and not the system. And sure, the system could be fixed, but are they going to fix the system to accommodate my wife and children? No.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive! Which is why it's hard for your family to cut it out. From my experience, gradually cutting back on processed foods (which have hidden sugars), sweets, and carbs (which turn into sugar) helped the transition be manageable. Fruit was the hardest to cut out for me because I've always been big on fruit, so I finally just stopped buying it altogether. Once I got adjusted to a low sugar diet, I actually couldn't eat a whole apple without feeling "sugar overload".

If you replace the sugars with yummy healthy fats, your kids may lose their taste for sugar quicker. Bacon with peanut butter, cheese fried in coconut oil, coconut milk/greek yogurt smoothies...all good alternatives that shouldn't mess with their blood sugar and cause hyperactivity. Good luck and keep on trying!
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have ADD and follow a very low sugar diet. Although not because of my ADD, but I'm sure that my ADD probably played a role in my sugar addiction.

Anyway, by "low sugar", I mean that I try to stay under 20g of added sugar per day, which for me would be any non fruit or vegetable source. Then when it comes to fruits and veggies, I try to keep those sugar grams under 20g, but usually no more than 10g. The health benefits have been amazing. I've lost 68 pounds, reduced my blood pressure medications and my intestines just work better, although that can be attributed to all the fiber I take in - usually around 30g per day.

On to my point.... My first week or so of sugar elimination was crazy! Serious withdrawal symptoms - dreams and cravings and general crankiness. But, it soon passed and all is well. Now, if I eat any sort of high sugar food item, I find that it often tastes too sweet. I also find that I get hungrier very quickly after eating sugar - it doesn't take long for the addictive behavior to resurface.

One note of advice if you're serious... highly refined foods such as white rice, white or enriched flour such as in breads, pastas, crackers, etc...behave like sugar.

You might want to institute something fun into the week - maybe dessert night on Friday or Saturday nights, after all the homeowrk and chores are done.

One more thing to think about... I know how hard it is with ADD/ADHD to get to sleep - y'know, the going going going CRASH behavior... then the alarm goes off at 6am and you haven't gotten enough sleep, The sugar and lack of sleep feed each other - you crave the sugar/carbs because of lack of sleep. Eliminating the sugar will help all of you fall to sleep easier at night. But, also quiet time reading or meditating at a set bedtime will help. I know those two things are hard for someone with ADD/ADHD, but that combined with sugar elimination will do a lot of good. The more sleep everyone gets, the less the sugar cravings.

Good luck to you and your family.
    Ronita
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing! I myself was addicted to sugar and finally quit it almost 3 months ago. I was probably near committing a homicide during the first month but I got through it and I'm fine now. They'll get over it as long as you stay strong. Nice to see some parents willing to make family sacrifices to keep their kiddos off medication. Nice!