Diet pills

Options
I know there is no "miracle pill" but has anyone tried something that actually helped with appetite suppression or energy levels?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Most contain caffeine as the stimulant giving you "energy." Save your money, stop lining the pockets of companies in the billion dollar diet industry, and just drink a cup of coffee. If diet pills worked there wouldn't be so many overweight people. As you said, there is no magic pill, just people willing to pay for perceived help in losing weight and companies eager to take your money.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've heard people use this appetite suppressant called Skinny Fiber but I don't believe in it. It's bull and after you stop using it your appetite will go back to normal because you aren't taking it to help stop the hunger. I suggest just trying to count your calories and your portion size. Really it works because I've been exercising for a month in a half now and I have been watching my portion size well turns out I can't eat as much as I use to any more.
  • Limlynn
    Options
    i also did think of taking pills to lose weight but forget it, its not good for your body, many ppl end up laying in hospital because of all this "miracle pill" , waste money and lose health, not lose weight.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Green Tea with a lemon slice!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I know there is no "miracle pill" but has anyone tried something that actually helped with appetite suppression or energy levels?

drink some black coffee. the caffeine along with things in the coffee can help w/ appetite.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ephedra... it does both of those just combine with caffeine
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I went on Strattera for ADD recently and it has drastically reduced my appetite and improved my impulse control, making it much easier to stick to my calories. I'm surprised there aren't more appetite suppressants on the market, since so many drugs have that as a side effect.
  • GEMINI_STL
    GEMINI_STL Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Green Tea Capsules supposed to help like Green Tea. Also, Hoodia, which is natural helps suppress your appetite. Check it out.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't a vegetarian, just add two chicken breasts prepared in a healthy way (baking, grilling, etc). Your hunger issues will be solved.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are dangerous- and expensive! Plus when you stop taking them the weight will all come straight back on plus some more! Don't do it!!

Jx
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Better to find alternatives to boredom eating/emotional eating/comfort eating. Don't not eat when you're hungry! That's when you're supposed to eat!! Diet pills are full of chemicals that will ultimately mess with your metabolism and give you false confidence (thinking you've 'learnt' how to cope with eating habits.

No magic pills. Just eating good food and exercise.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    stay away from diet pills...unless you want to take them for the rest of your life......thats the only way you wont gain the weight you have lost back. as far as appetite suppression........water.......it works for me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A couple of times I've taken meds that had appetite suppression as a side effect. They did help. Of course I knew I couldn't rely on them, but I certainly appreciated the SE while it lasted.

For me, not thinking about food helps. That's why I do Intermittent Fasting a few times a week.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    that reminds me.....

Have to take my vitamins :) .....

take care of your body and your body will take care of you :):flowerforyou:
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Diet pills aren't the answer anyways. I did try the green coffee bean thing because I saw it on Dr. Oz. It pretty much worked like anyhting else. I had a lot of bowel movements. Not that I was upset with that but working and going to school, that was beginning to be inconvient! haha. Plus I have no idea if it helped in my weight loss. I was already working out 5 days a week, including with my trainer, and using MFP. I think it just replaced my daily cup of coffee :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Most contain caffeine as the stimulant giving you "energy." Save your money, stop lining the pockets of companies in the billion dollar diet industry, and just drink a cup of coffee. If diet pills worked there wouldn't be so many overweight people. As you said, there is no magic pill, just people willing to pay for perceived help in losing weight and companies eager to take your money.

Yep just coffee or diet soda does it for me. (diet soda only on rare occasions!!), but it's the caffeine that does it.

But other times just filling up with water or herbal tea, or green tea. My favorite herbal tea is spicy ginger lemon tea.

At night you can take Konjac Glucomannan Powder in water. You can take this during the day too, I just find it makes me bloated, but it definitely curbs hunger.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    There was a piece about them in UK Glamour a couple of months ago, they highligted the fact that they don't have to prove they work as they're considered a 'medical aid' they don't have to be vetted either.

Some of the ones they investigated had nasty side effects, ranging from putting more weight on to anal seepage (ie not able to control one's own bowel movements) and these aren't the clinical strength ones. These are the over the counter tablets. The ones that have to be prescribed are so strong that people have more of less been attached to their loo.

A friend of mine was on Adios and she described it as dieting in fear- if she had just a little bit too much fat (less then I'm on with my counter) she'd end up soiling herself. She came off them quickly and she's not sure what she wants to do.

My view on it is that I put this weight on by myself I'm going to get it off by myself.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Phetermine... I had to force myself to eat. But then it also made me super depressed, dehydrated, cranky, and run down. Totally not worth it to me. A good diet and exercise is the way to go.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post about it, complete with types, research, and my opinions.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/my-take-on-diet-pills/
  • worthliving4
    worthliving4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are prescription weight loss appetite suppresants which are simply put doctor prescribed speed! They do suppress your appetite but also can become additive and in the end are only good for short term use. I have found that the best appetite suppressant is in fact drinking lemon water or green tea with lemon (lemon is a natural diuretic) and/or drinking a protein shake. The worst time of day for most people is around 3-4pm inbetween lunch and dinner. To power through this time try this and see if you can make it through without over eating and spoiling your dinner.