6lb gain in 2 days?

Options
This is starting my 3rd week committed to MFP. I've been eating my recommended calories, walking for 30 min, 3x a week, and being super conscious about my every move.

The past two days I have indulged a little bit---family visiting---and I step on the scale and I'm up 6 lbs! For 2 days of not tracking. How is this possible?

Getting super discouraged that the last 2 weeks efforts were for nothing.

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Open diary or it didn't happen.

Obvious guess: it's water retention.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    likely too much salt leading to water retention. go for a run after you indulge or a long bike ride.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every few days. It's not accurate. If you don't drink enough water, or consume more salt than usual, or any number of things, your weight will appear to be up. It's an illusion. Step off the scale, track your food. Pick one time per week, the same time every week, and weigh yourself only then. All other weighing times don't count.
  • PhatGirlSlim35
    PhatGirlSlim35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Its water weight. The extream change in diet, eating things out of the normal. It happens. Push through results will follow.
  • mishfish7
    Options
    Diary's open!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When you first start a calorie deficit, you lose 5 lbs in a week. That's water weight from your body's short term energy stores, called glycogen. Whenever you go over, your body takes advantage and adds that water weight back. Then when you are back on the wagon, it falls right off again.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Diary's open!
    I just looked at your diary and WOW you need to eat healthier lots, cut back the sodium and drink more water.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been there done that... Went to the OBX in May and ate off menu, indulged in all my favorites still got in some good cardio and came back 7 lbs. heavier... Got back on point and the following weigh in was down the 7 lbs. plus lost 1 more.... It is water weight mostly due to sodium retention... Drink plenty of water this week to flush it and get back on your plan and everything will right itself... Best of Luck
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Normally, your sodium is quite low. The day you had pizza, it was quite high. Sodium seems to really kick you in the pants when your body isn't used to it. Example, last year, I was more strict about my sodium, trying to keep it under 1500, and after indulging on chips and dips and lots of brined pork at my brother's luau, I was up 8 pounds the next day, just from fluid retention (and it was gone within a week). This year, I'm less strict about sodium, averaging a little over 2500, and the same indulgences at this year's luau made the scale go up less than half a pound.

I'm not saying NOT to restrict your sodium, but don't stress about a dramatic increase on the scale. It's just water and it will go away.
  • firstsip
    Options
    You've eaten fast food or highly processed foods nearly every day with virtually NO water intake, and you're honestly wondering why the scale is wonky?
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! Don't worry about those 6 pounds, once you get back on your regular routine they'll come off! You may want to add in a couple more days of walking in the next couple of weeks to remind your body that you're not keeping all that good food on you! lol. Try to also up your ice water intake, will increase your metabolism and will help burn those extra cals and flush out some of that sodium.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    could be water weight, too much sodium or you lifted weights and your healing muscles are holding onto water.

Jump on the scale again in a couple of days -- first thing in the AM, naked.
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    You need to step up the veggies and fruit and bump down the processed and sodium filled foods. Also, need to really increase your water intake!

When you shop at the grocery store always try to stay on the outside aisles of the store that is where you are going to find the good for you food, once you start going down the inside aisles that is where all the high sodium food is.

You have lots of pizza, maybe cut that back to once a week as a treat day.....say maybe on the afternoon after you weigh in so you have plenty of time to work that off.
  • mishfish7
    Options
    Diary's open!
    I just looked at your diary and WOW you need to eat healthier lots, cut back the sodium and drink more water.

I drink about 64 oz a day. I just don't log it.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Why don't you log it?
  • mishfish7
    Options
    Why don't you log it?

I just don't see the need to keep clicking that button to fill the cup. All I drink is water, so it's not like I need to monitor that.
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i had last fri sat and sun off weighed mon and was 7lbs heavier but i didnt mind as i knew it was all water weight and general bloating.. im already about 4lbs of that down today and its only tues
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium
    Ditto.

I have had some upward weight swings when not watching the little things.
    But this is also why I avoid weighing myself every day. I usually only weigh the morning after a 2 mile swim and gym session.:bigsmile:
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yep, sodium levels. I can totally understand. I recently just weighed myself on Sunday (my weigh in day) and so happy to have lost 2lbs! and then after my sushi feast to celebrate my 32nd month with my fiance, i weight myself that night (lol i know right) and was 2lbs heavier! BUt I wasn't worried though, firstly because sushi is pretty much a treasure chest for sodium and secondly, I haven't indulged like that in awhile, and sushi is awesome. LOL. And just this morning, I was back to that 2lbs loss. yep, not worth it to worry.

So don't worry :) official weigh-ins once a week and keep up with your exercise and calories :) Also, don't weigh in everyday! lol.