What do you put in your coffee?

Options
Hello All and Happy New Year!!!
I am about to run out of my Splenda and I wanted something that wasn't fake and wasn't high in calories for my coffee. I'm considering just using real sugar but wanted to see what other people use. Right now I use 3 packets of Splenda and 1-2 Tbl spoons of Coffee Mate. I'm not ready to give up the Coffee Mate yet, but up for suggestions.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I weaned myself off adding anything to my coffee, but it took some time. I would use sugar in the raw or any other form of unrefined sugar if you're looking to make a change. I got myself off of sugar and cream (I used to use a LOT) by cutting down on the sugar first, then cutting it out and just using cream, then took away the cream. It doesn't hurt that we now splurge on really good coffee. I'm from Portland, so it's easy, but depending on where you are, it could be hard to find really good coffee (read: not bitter). It's really hard to go back to adding anything to your coffee after getting off all the additives. Good luck!

Oh, there's also that stevia extract, which is a natural sweetener found in the stevia plant. I'm not sure how it tastes and I would do some more research, but it might be a good alternative.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off adding anything to my coffee, but it took some time. I would use sugar in the raw or any other form of unrefined sugar if you're looking to make a change. I got myself off of sugar and cream (I used to use a LOT) by cutting down on the sugar first, then cutting it out and just using cream, then took away the cream. It doesn't hurt that we now splurge on really good coffee. I'm from Portland, so it's easy, but depending on where you are, it could be hard to find really good coffee (read: not bitter). It's really hard to go back to adding anything to your coffee after getting off all the additives. Good luck!

Oh, there's also that stevia extract, which is a natural sweetener found in the stevia plant. I'm not sure how it tastes and I would do some more research, but it might be a good alternative.

the stevia is good, .
    BUT I Still use my vanilla fat free creamer ,and I will not give it up!
  • judy2010
    Options
    oops post in error
  • becca2010
    Options
    I put 2 tsp of half & half in my coffee-- very few calories for the real thing, and it's a lot healthier than the powdered stuff, which I think still has hydrogenated oil in it (trans fat). I don't take my coffee sweetened, but I have a friend who uses those sugar-free flavored syrups (mint, hazelnut, etc) and loves them.

Hey, on the subject of coffee, does anybody notice that coffee makes you hungrier, or am I just imagining that? I think coffee is really satisfying, but about 15-20 minutes after I drink it, I seem to have what feel like gnawing hunger pangs.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I usually just drink those Nescafe 3-in 1 regular 20g packets. But I dilute it into 250ml water - so it's not really sweet not creamy nor strong :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it myself, but there is a liquid called Agave nectar that I have seen others post positive comments about.

There is also a new sugar alternative that is granulated and I think is a combination of real sugar and a natural alternative. I can't think of the name, but I have seen it in the vicinity of the Splenda, & etc. in the baking aisle at my local supermarket. Sorry I can't remember the name. I have seen a couple of tv ads for it also.
  • MissBHaven
    MissBHaven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love stevia- I use the kind that comes in little packets, just like splenda. I also add frothed milk... I have a little hand held milk frother that I got at a kitchen store. I works on skim milk, soy and light coconut milk. YUM!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I make my own espresso macchiato - espresso with a drop of steamed partially skimmed milk and a scoop of foam. I've been using Twin (same as equal), but looking for an alternative.
    I hate splenda - makes me sick and detest the taste in my coffee
    I've tried stevia and could find the right balance...
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have used brown sugar. It has less calories and you dont have to use as much. I won't give up my Coffee Mate either!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use fat free vanilla caramel creamer and one tsp of sugar.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use anything in my coffee but if I did I would use stevia like others have suggested.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I put 2 tsp of half & half in my coffee-- very few calories for the real thing, and it's a lot healthier than the powdered stuff, which I think still has hydrogenated oil in it (trans fat). I don't take my coffee sweetened, but I have a friend who uses those sugar-free flavored syrups (mint, hazelnut, etc) and loves them.

Hey, on the subject of coffee, does anybody notice that coffee makes you hungrier, or am I just imagining that? I think coffee is really satisfying, but about 15-20 minutes after I drink it, I seem to have what feel like gnawing hunger pangs.

Thank you! My next step is to get away from Coffee Mate, but only one at a time :smile:

I always think coffee fills me up, but now I'm going to watch myself this morning and see.
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I have a few more days of Splenda left. Keep 'em coming if you think of anything else.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I used to use a ton of splenda and coffee mate, but then one day I didn't have any of those things so I just drank it black. I actually prefer it black now, unless it is from Starbucks--then I have to load it up with Truvia because it is burnt and horribly bitter. Black is the way to go if you ask me! But Truvia is really pleasant, too :)
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Bump
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Any other ideas????
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    A couple of shots of Baileys! Oh, did you mean healthy ideas? :tongue:
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    You are funny Jill!!
  • augustbells
    Options
    I don't drink coffee myself but a couple friends of mine both put honey in theirs.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    A couple of shots of Baileys! Oh, did you mean healthy ideas? :tongue:

Oh heck yeah! I'm hanging out at Jill's house in the morning!