Is it reversable?

Options
Until recently I was considered obese, I was probably obese for around 8 years. At the moment Im still overweight and have probably been in this category most of my adult life (Im 35 years old). My family has a history of heart disease and this is one of the primary reasons for me losing my weight and getting fit (still have around 17pounds to lose).

My question is any damage I may have done to my heart i.e. clogging of arteries etc is this reversable and will this furring reduce and get better as I lose weight and become fitter?

Replies

• ddore63
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor these questions? Good for you for having such great intent and doing so well!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes....you should go to the doctor and get a full work up.

BUT yes, heart damage can be reversible. Have you watched SuperSize Me or Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? Both have really great examples of people who were very overweight and reversed a lot of the damage they did to their insides, along with studies to back it up.
  • S6Kev
    S6Kev Posts: 16
    Options
    No I dont go to the doctors.

The last time I went to the doctors was 11 years ago after being made to go by my girlfriend, I had a broken coccyx and he sent me to the hospital. Im a typical man, I feel a doctor is only there for those that are really ill and wouldnt want to bother or waste his time with questions and things that are not really effecting me.

If Im well enough to walk to the doctors then Im well enough not to need a doctor.

Thanks for your replies, I guess I really should just go for a check up. Is it ok to phone up and when the receptionist asks what is wrong you answer 'Nothing I just want a check up?'
  • IveLanded
    Options
    No I dont go to the doctors.

The last time I went to the doctors was 11 years ago after being made to go by my girlfriend, I had a broken coccyx and he sent me to the hospital. Im a typical man, I feel a doctor is only there for those that are really ill and wouldnt want to bother or waste his time with questions and things that are not really effecting me.

If Im well enough to walk to the doctors then Im well enough not to need a doctor.

Thanks for your replies, I guess I really should just go for a check up. Is it ok to phone up and when the receptionist asks what is wrong you answer 'Nothing I just want a check up?'

lol....GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For you, it's not about being sick but you need information that you can only get from a doctor. Make an appointment to ask exactly what you asked us, and you can get a full blood work up and maybe an ultrasound on your heart so your doctor can tell you what your baseline is now. It would probably be a great motivator to get your blood work done now and then in a year and see the progress, right? :)

And yes you can call and say "Hey I haven't been in a long time and I need a check up" too.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Dude if you have the health coverage get your moneys worth. Call up a doctor and say you want a sports physical, and your blood work done. If they offer a prostate check go for it.
  • can i get some advice on the best exercise program to use..I am a beginner..:) Thanks...and all of my activities are done at home, but
    I'm not against a good workout DVD....I have lost almost 10 pounds since I started, but I think alot of it is water weight lol :)
  • S6Kev
    Options
    Dude if you have the health coverage get your moneys worth. Call up a doctor and say you want a sports physical, and your blood work done. If they offer a prostate check go for it.

And thats the way to put a man off. Its exactly what Im worried about, I go for a check up and he starts putting his fingers in places I really dont want them.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Drop your drawers, son.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance, GO! It will be good to see where you are at now and how far you will go. I would write down all of your questions before you go and take it with you. White coat syndrome is very common and it's great to remember what you were going to ask. YOU NEED TO GO THOUGH!!! Good luck!! :D
  • Plates559
    Options

And thats the way to put a man off. Its exactly what Im worried about, I go for a check up and he starts putting his fingers in places I really dont want them.

I'm only joking. Tell him you are a nervous and that if he/she plans on touching you to explain why you are being touched, what the doctor is looking for etc etc
  • Plates559
    Options
    The doctor isn't going to walk into the room and slip a finger in your butt. Especially if you don't ask for it.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Being macho is great and all, but the only one you hurt is yourself. Doesn't hurt any of the people here appropriately telling you to go for a health screening. If you're worried about your heart there's only one way to know - and it isn't here on the forums.
  • Devild0ll
    Options
    Definitely go to the doctor for a checkup. Have your CRP tested as well (C-reactive protein). It's a measure of systemic swelling, and will allow those icky LDL particles to adhere and create blockages. The other thing I can tell you is to do your own research. Your doctor is a resource for finding out where you are now, and giving some generic guidelines for where to go next, but they are no substitute for having the knowledge yourself!
  • S6Kev
    Options
    I wouldnt say Im nervous, I just dont want a finger in my bum.

Thanks people, I will go to the doctors and being here in England we have the NHS so its all free to everyone, normally why its so hard to get an appointment.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, then yes. As your muscles start demanding more and more oxygen, your body will start to build new blood vessels to get oxygen there more efficiently.
  • Plates559
    Options

Thanks people, I will go to the doctors and being here in England we have the NHS so its all free to everyone, normally why its so hard to get an appointment.

Make it a goal to go like ever4 - 6 months and work on improving things like your cholesterol levels, or your body fat %, Blood pressure, resting heart rate. You get it.
  • IveLanded
    Options

You're gettin' to the age where a finger up the bum once a year is going to have to happen. You don't want all that weight loss to go to waste, do you? GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

And that's the way to put a man off. Its exactly what I'm worried about, I go for a check up and he starts putting his fingers in places I really don't want them.

That is why I have a petite female doctor. Small hands. :bigsmile:
    I is because of my regular checkup that I know exactly how much low carb high fat has helped me. Also, early warnings of slow developing conditions can be found in a regular "wellness visit": they don't call it an annual physical anymore.
    With your family history of heart problem, the annual check is even more critical unless you want your obit to say "he died of a previously undiagnosed condition."
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options

OKAY AFTER I STOPPED LAUGHING, BECAUSE (SORRY) THAT IS SOOOOO A TYPICAL MAN, TELL THEM NO, NO PROSTATE EXAMS.... TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR MEDICAL EVALUATION TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT DONE OR NOT DONE AND REMEMBER, HE GETS PAID BY YOU (OKAY REALLY THE GOVERNMENT BUT STILL) TO PERFORM A SERVICE FOR YOU. I JUST WANT TO REALLY STRESS THOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD GO. MY MAN, A TYPICAL (ALBEIT SEXY AS HELL) MAN, WAITED FOREVER, AND FOUND OUT HE HAS A PIOTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING ILLNESS THAT DIDNT REALLY SHOW SYMPTOMS. CONTROLLING THAT NOW, AND HE FEELS BETTER THAN HE EVER HAS....
  • Plates559
    Options
    You don't have to tell anyone you had a finger in your butt either.

Your abrasive friend - Say... you've ever gotten one of them homo check ups where they put a finger in your butt?
    You - Nope
    Your abrasive friend - *in his mind* Maybe I should tell him I got my prostate checked last week.