Grocery Shopping (need new ideas)

Options
2»

Replies

• nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I love hummus, how do you make it?

It's very easy to make! Chick peas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper all mixed up in a food processor. Of course, you can do many variations. There are tons of recipes on the web. :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Jeannie- what are the Pepperidge Farm low cal breads like? Which one is your fave? I'm in the market for some new bread. I get Nature's Own Double Fiber now, but it gets so dry so fast :( And I hope the Pepperidge aren't skimpy pieces of bread; I'm used to Nature's Own and their pieces are regular sized! :smile:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    My grocery list varies, depending what I plan to eat for the week, but generally consists of the following staples:

Fruits
    Frozen blueberries
    Strawberries
    Apples

Veggies
    Baby carrots
    Bell peppers
    Potatoes
    Brocolli
    Spinach
    Celery
    Cherry tomatoes
    Onion
    Corn
    Green Beans
    Mixed greens
    Romain lettuce

Meat/Protein
    Beef
    Chicken Breast
    Frozen Chicken fingers (for those lazy cooking nights)
    Edamame
    Beans
    Deli meats for lunches
    Fish (only if i plan to eat that week)
    Eggs

Dairy
    1% milk
    Soymilk
    Buttermilk
    Plain yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Mozza Cheese

Grains/Breads
    WG bread
    WG wraps
    WW couscous
    WG waffles
    WG & Regular Pasta
    Crackers

Then I stock up on my others such as snacks, condiments, sauces, etc.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    if y'all buy veggies or beans in a can.....rinse them under cold water to reduce the sodium.

I like canned chick peas for salad and to make hummus.

my grocery list must haves:

baby carrots
    hummus
    cheese
    triscuits

bagged lettuce and baby spinach
    fruit
    yogurt
    water
    pepperidge farms low cal bread.
    OH....almost forgot................Natural Peanut Butter.......mmmmmmmm

I learned on here to shop the perimeter 1st. All the fresh wholesome stuff is on the perimeter of the store. I start with the bakery for whole grain bread, pick up my PB, get my deli meats for the week, on to fruits and veggies and bagged lettuce. next is cheese and milk, yogurt and cottage cheese. The fish counter and then meats.

i do buy a lot of frozen, micro in the bag veggies because of time. although fresh veggies nuke up in the same time in a bowl with a bit of water or lemon.

Good luck! Jeannie

Can U tell me how exactly how U use the "hummus" ?? I have seen it and picked it up and put it back. I hear on this site its a really GOOD fat just like avocado's.

Well, I use hummus for a lot of things. Started out as a way to get me to eat raw veggies. See I am a 'dipper' and this was a healthy dip. Carrots, celery, cucs, good crackers

I now use it as a spread on pitas, wraps and bread. Instead of mayo...........and on veggie wraps it is delish and adds protein.

I get Sabra.......I like that consistancy. I like the spicy or pine nut...or green olive...mmmmm
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Jeannie- what are the Pepperidge Farm low cal breads like? Which one is your fave? I'm in the market for some new bread. I get Nature's Own Double Fiber now, but it gets so dry so fast :( And I hope the Pepperidge aren't skimpy pieces of bread; I'm used to Nature's Own and their pieces are regular sized! :smile:

I like the Natures Own too!

I get Pepperidge Farms Litestyle Oatmeal. I sub it for white bread for stuff like PBJ. It is 40 cals a slice.

Carboholic that I am, I love my carbs.........a sandwhich is just meat without bread, right?? :laugh:

The wheat is good too!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I love hummus, how do you make it?

It's very easy to make! Chick peas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper all mixed up in a food processor. Of course, you can do many variations. There are tons of recipes on the web. :)

this is how I make it, but I find tahini hard to keep for the price, so I use yogurt in place of the 2 tsp of tahini.

And then I add what I am in the mood for. spicy pepper, roasted reds, sundried tomatoes or olives...
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Tilapia fillets
    Mrs. Dash
    EVOO
    Ground Turkey
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Fresh veggies
    And my husband wants doritos, French Fries, and Brownies
    My shopping cart is going to look somewhat confused!:tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I divide mine roughly by food groups...

Carbs

Old fashioned oats
    Cheerios/Total cereal
    Minute brown rice
    High protein whole grain bread
    Frozen veggies- peas, carrots, spinach, broccoli, green beans, and/or a blend
    Canned fruit- (in its own juice) apricots, pineapple, pears
    Fresh fruit- apples, bananas

Fats

Natural peanut butter
    Eggs
    Salmon
    Brummel & Brown yogurt spread (butter replacement)
    2% cheese
    93% lean beef

Lean Proteins

Tilapia
    Chicken breast
    Egg white
    Fat free milk/soy milk
    Nonfat plain yogurt (usually greek if affordable)

Condiments

Light marinades
    Light salad dressing
    No-sugar-added jam
    low-sodium low-fat condensed soups for casseroles