Running outside only

Options
I don't have a gym membership and no treadmill and it's not looking like those things are coming my way anytime soon. I've been doing the Couch to 5K program outside for the past 6 weeks. My questions are:

Does anyone only run outside? Is it possible to keep up a good routine with weather causing issues? I know it will be dark soon when I get up and when I get home from work. I'm scared to death of the dark. But I want to run, so I'll have to get over that. What about the cold and the heat? How do you work around that?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I only run outside! Running on the treadmill sucks butt!!! ;)

I dunno....I just do it. There are plenty of clothing options for cold weather runs. Trial and error has helped me figure out what to wear for what weather and I pick up a lot of stuff at thrift stores to keep the cost down. I don't know where you live or the kind of area you live in..........I live in California in a fairly large city. We have a few parks and tracks that are well lit and well used by other runners, so I stick to those areas and areas I know well when going for runs in the dark. Honestly, I prefer running in the fall and winter....it's nice to not feel overheated on runs. I find it easier to run longer.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm still a beginner runner, but here are some suggestions

reflective vest - cheap, screams dork, but it will keep you safe
    head lamp - most of the roads I'm running don't have street lights, and no sun at 5am = rolled ankles
    layers - wear layers when running. In case you get hot you can always take one off
    light gloves

I'm sure more experienced guys will have better suggestions.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Join a running club (any Running Room stores near you?) if you're afraid of the dark. Find a running buddy. The weather you can deal with (wear proper layers, etc.), but being afraid of the dark is something you'll have to deal with. Finding a running friend or group is your best bet.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I live in New England and run outside year round. I can't run on the dreadmill for more than 20 minutes without wanting to jump out a window. Get good winter running clothes (no cotton) and a good flashlight or headlamp and reflective jacket or vest. Mace or a dog or a running buddy if you live in an urban area. It's actually very soothing to run in the dark. I run with my light off and only turn it on when a car comes (I live in a rural area with no street lights, so my eyes adjust to the dark and I can see pretty well, especially with snow on the ground). Hearing coyotes makes me pick up my pace, but other than that I love running in the winter!
  • tephey
    tephey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We live in TN and on a farm outside of a small town. I don't thinking finding a running buddy is possible, but getting a headlamp and having my dogs run with me might work. I'm more scared of coyotes and other animals than anything else. I usually run our farm roads. I think I can get passed my scared self. I know the cold will be okay, I'm hoping. I keep thinking about the rain, snow and ice this winter. I don't want to be sidelined because of the weather.I stopped training a few months ago because I got to hot and almost passed out. Stupid me ran at 5 in the afternoon and it was like 100 outside still. I am determined to do this. I just got to get my head on straight and get the equipment I need to get it done. :)
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Options
    I run outside 95% of the time. I belong to a running club that has group runs all over town almost every day, so I have people to run with in the dark. I also run with my very large dog. I would suggest finding a local running group (check at running stores or online) and making some running buddies -- I am pretty darn slow, and have plenty of folks to run with. My group costs $35/year, so it's cost-effective (this includes water/powerade stops every few miles on group runs).

If you are running somewhere really dark, invest in a headlamp or a small flashlight. Also, don't forget to wear reflective gear.

As for cold, coldest temp. I've run in is 17 degrees -- it was fine after the first mile, once we warmed up. Just layer, I rarely need more than a thermal shirt and tights and a light vest over it. You'll be surprised how fast you warm up. I actually love winter training because it is not so hot. good luck!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I only run outside since I love to be outside over indoors. I run in the dark in the morning at a local park. I take a headlight and a tail light that I attached to my hydration belt. I will run regardless of the weather, I love to run in the rain since I live in the desert where we hardly have any rain. Just need to make sure you have a good rain jacket (I use my cycling jacket) to keep you dry.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Rare for me to run inside. It has to be something that makes it a safety issue - lightning, ice storm. That kind of stuff.

Agree with a couple of other comments. Headlamp. Reflective vest or arm/ankle bands. I'm also a fan of wearing a flashing LED light on front and back. Some may think it screams dork, but at least in my area the runners who are taking hardware home from races wear that stuff. So if winning is dorky... well.

Cold is easy to deal with. They make all kinds of specialized running gear for that and it layers. I'll run early morning most days in the winter because it fits the family schedule best. Even below freezing I'm fine once the body gets warmed up if I'm dressed correctly.

When it's hot I run in the coolest part of the day.

If your concern with the dark is being alone, as others have said finding a friend is best option.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I try to only run outside except when it is too cold to do so. Any other weather is running weather. In fact I have been running in rain storms the last couple of days. For cold weather layer up, light cotton hoody, beanie and gloves. How weather light clothes with a runners shirt to wisk away wetness so you will sweat more and keep cool.
  • tephey
    Options
    I live in New England and run outside year round. I can't run on the dreadmill for more than 20 minutes without wanting to jump out a window. Get good winter running clothes (no cotton) and a good flashlight or headlamp and reflective jacket or vest. Mace or a dog or a running buddy if you live in an urban area. It's actually very soothing to run in the dark. I run with my light off and only turn it on when a car comes (I live in a rural area with no street lights, so my eyes adjust to the dark and I can see pretty well, especially with snow on the ground). Hearing coyotes makes me pick up my pace, but other than that I love running in the winter!

Yes those stinking coyotes! They come right up to our house! I have a Great Pyrenees, so hopefully this will keep them away.
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes to layering and some bright/reflective clothing, although you are rarely as cold as you think you're going to be. Running with a friend always feels safer. You could always mix things up a bit e.g. do short sprints or hill sprints so that you can stay in roughly the same place, get a skipping rope and use that in your garden/yard if you have one (or do other similar cardio things) and just do longer runs at weekends (or whenever you can get out in the light) I'm happy to run in the early evening in the dark, it's no more dangerous than in the light, load of people are around as they are getting home from work etc.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    We live in TN and on a farm outside of a small town. I don't thinking finding a running buddy is possible, but getting a headlamp and having my dogs run with me might work. I'm more scared of coyotes and other animals than anything else. I usually run our farm roads. I think I can get passed my scared self. I know the cold will be okay, I'm hoping. I keep thinking about the rain, snow and ice this winter. I don't want to be sidelined because of the weather.I stopped training a few months ago because I got to hot and almost passed out. Stupid me ran at 5 in the afternoon and it was like 100 outside still. I am determined to do this. I just got to get my head on straight and get the equipment I need to get it done. :)

I find it WAY less taxing to run in the cold than in 100 degrees, here, too. I think you'll probably have an easier time with that than running in the heat. You lose SO MUCH WATER while running in the heat it really is hard!
  • tephey
    Options
    I try to only run outside except when it is too cold to do so. Any other weather is running weather. In fact I have been running in rain storms the last couple of days. For cold weather layer up, light cotton hoody, beanie and gloves. How weather light clothes with a runners shirt to wisk away wetness so you will sweat more and keep cool.

What do you suggest for running in the rain? I don't mind getting soaked, just don't want to be weighed down. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I only run outside now. For the most part, it's easier for me to run in the cold than the heat, but if the weather is really bad (very, very cold or icy), I'll just have to work my exercise schedule around that. For that matter, I had to stop running last January for about 6 weeks while a stress fracture (which I'm convinced I got on the treadmill), and even taking that amount of time off from running didn't have much of an effect on my fitness or progress. Within four weeks of running again, I was back to the same pace as I was before my injury.

I enjoy running in light rain if it's fairly warm, but I'll postpone my run if it's a heavy rain.
  • summerincoming
    Options
    Running is great, and it's awesome that you've been doing the couch to 5k! Treadmills suck, but I understand your fear of running in the dark. If possible, find a park or a city block that's well-lit and run there, even if it means driving a little ways to get there. Or find yourself a running buddy who can run with you after the sun sets.

As for weather, cold is always more of a problem for me, since my ears hurt like mad after a run in the cold, but running in sweats helps, and no matter how dorky they look, earmuffs do help as well. Heat wise, I avoid that problem by running in the mornings before it gets hot, or in the evenings right after the sun goes down. I figure I'm going to be sweating anyways, so a little heat isn't going to change much. ;)

Good luck! :D
  • jtslim42
    Options
    I usually only run outside. I would suggest getting a buddy or joining a running club. Great way to meet new people too. As far as weather conditions go, i don't make excuses. I live in Houston and run in the summer. A few weeks ago the index was 111 and i had my water bottle in hand so i didn't dehydrate. Winter isn't much of a factor for me down here. You can do it!
  • tephey
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to look for a good headlamp or flashlight and my try just turning it on when I think I see something...LOL! Find me some good layers for this winter and a baseball cap for when it's raining. : ) I CAN continue to do this and nothing will get in my way, even the summer.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To me running outside is the best and only way to run. I have to admit it was a bit hard when it was over 100 degrees. You will find that rain is a nice and welcome distraction. At night its important to make sure you are seen and that you can see where your feet are landing. But, when this is all part of your routine you will probably not want to trade it for anything else. The only caution from personal experience I would like to add is to be very careful in icy conditions. This is coming from someone who learned the hard way.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I only run outside too - but I just began this training so I have many of the same questions as you as our season begins to change to Fall...

I have flexibility in the time that I run since I work from home so I was thinking I would just wait until a little later and run with layers on so I don't freeze, but also so I can strip layers so I don't overheat either.

Soon we will have a lot of rain - that will be my biggest challenge. I suppose I will have to buy rain gear soon.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I run outside only as well. And yes, it's dark when I run to. I have a fear as well, but I keep my eyes and ears open. I have a reflective vest and blinker to make sure people can see me.

As far as weather....you just deal with it I guess. I was asking the same thing yesterday about coolness...it'll be around 36 when I get up and run tomorrow, so definately cooler. It's a learning process I guess!