Starting Insanity: a couple questions

So I'm planning on starting Insanity starting October 1, when my college classes officially start so I can get myself into a good routine right off the bat. I've never done Insanity before, and I'm expecting it to kick my butt. I'm not totally out of shape, but I'm definitely no athlete.

I guess what I'm asking is this: do you guys have any tips? How much space will I need? About how many calories do you burn per session? How sore are you the next day?

Replies

• tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    You will need a 8 X 8 space. Watch out for ceiling fans for the jumping. My calves probably hurt the most. I'm only on day 6. Take breaks as you need them. It will kick your butt. Although the workout say 40 minutes, you will take extra breaks. Give yourself at least an hour. I'm still confused as to the caloric burn. My watch doesn't work, so I need a new heart rate monitor. My metabolism has increased, so be sure to have quality food around.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Don't try to keep up with those folks on the video, they're out of control. Keep a sweat towel handy. Take some ibuprofren after your workout, and again the day after, your muscles will thank you. You can expect to burn 400-1000 calories, depeinding on the video and how hard you push it. I've heard of people burning more.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Go at YOUR own pace, you will take less rests as time goes on. I only burn about 400 cal per 45min session per my HRM. It sucks because it feels like it should be more. i'm at the point where I don't take extra breaks and keep my heart rate up so it's the maximum burn for me :(

I think it depends on your personal fitness level and size. Being small and in good shape seems to work against you lol
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You dont need that much space maybe 8 by 8 or 2 of your wing spans (if that makes sense).. watch their form and make sure you get as close as possible.. focus on the form instead of doing it really quick until you get the hang of it.. Don't Skip the stretches. Get a HRM as it will help you determine your calorie burn, me its usually 400-700 depending how the workout is going or which one.. I never was sore from Insanity, but if your not used to it expect it to be really bad the first week.
  • yes go at your own pace you will get better over time do not drink alot of water during or you might puke never eat right before either
  • Danita_dawn
    Danita_dawn Posts: 2 Member
    one thing you should look into is something called a "rumble roller". They have them available on the beachbody website and will help with the sore muscles. My husband and I swear by it!