1/2 Marathon...346 days away

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for ANYONE that may have a similar goal. I am running a 1/2 marathon in 346 days (August 31, 2013) and I would like to drop about 35 pounds in the process. I have been up and down with my weight for three years and the last time I lost most of my weight, I was running 5 & 10K's and doing 30 day shred.

I just really need to stay motivated and focused on this looonnnnggg but hopefully never forgettable adventure!

Any helpful hints, I am willing to listen! :-)

Thank you everyone!!

Replies

• jtslim42
    Options
    I am running a half marathon October 28th. Feel free to add me. I can help keep you motivated throughout your journey. You can totally do this:happy:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 3rd half in June 2013. Always looking for other runners for support and advice! Feel free to add me!
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am currently running 5K's and 10K's but I plan on starting a half marathon training program in February for a May half. My goal is to be running a strong 4 mile by then. I would love to be at my goal weight (about 20 pounds from where I am now) before the race.

Feel free to add me - I would love to have friends that have the same goals!
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been running halfs since 2006, and have done about 9 so far. But this past August was my first one after dropping weight, and was the first one that I ran all the way! It was pretty awesome... an achievement I think I probably wouldn't have done if I didn't loose weight. I was running at anywhere between 180-200lbs, and the one I just did I was about 153lbs or so.

So for now I'm going to do one half per year (we have a Rock N' Roll Half here in Providence every year), and do a few 5k's. And speaking of 5k's, since the half I did I've been running 5k distances and shattered my PR from before loosing weight.

So it's all having a positive effect on me. Feel free to add me as well...
  • betstone17
    Options
    I am running my 5th half marathon in a few weeks and I will say it's really difficult to lose weight while training for long distance running. I would work on doing HIIT from now until the spring and do sprints and other work to help you burn fat before you start training.

When I ran a marathon I burned 6000+ calories a week and gained 3 pounds! Granted I was a stronger and faster runner than when I began, but I was eating more and your body does get used to the movement after a while.
  • lexismom1003
    lexismom1003 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am looking to run the 2014 Princess Half Marathon at Walt Disney World for my 40th Birthday (did I really say 40???). I am currently running 5ks and working on 10k distances (almost ready for my 1st 10k).

You can do this!!!!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Running my first half in a little less than two months! Feel free to add me. Good luck with your training! :)
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I plan on doing a half marathon next summer. Right now I'm working on my 10k distance.

I hate racing. I thought maybe if I do a half, I might enjoy it more than 5k's (because I am too competitive and it just erks me that I can never win lol).

Most importantly I'm a runner....whether I do no races, run a 5k or run a half ;-)

Feel free to add me too.
  • il_duce
    Options
    Im doing the great birmingham run on 21st october 12 and i found the my asics website a real help. It gives you a plan that gets you ready for the run. I had 2 months to get ready :-)
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 8th marathon in 2 1/2 weeks, then a half marathon three weeks after that. Feel free to add me.

I will echo the comment that it is hard to lose weight while running long distances, you need a lot of energy for those long weekend runs, so it's tough to maintain a calorie deficit. But, you should be able to lose fat as you get stronger and are adding muscle, so watch the measurements even if the scale doesn't move. I would try to lose the weight early on before you get your training distances up higher. it is easier to lose the weight then.
  • espi180
    espi180 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ran my first half two years ago. About to run my fifth in a couple of months. Don't give up! Nothing like crossing that finish line and getting that medal around your neck!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 3rd half in about a month.

Good luck!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 1/2 this weekend. Feel free to add me..I can help get you through those longer runs when the time comes. :bigsmile:
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    40 days out from my 4th full and I have ran about 18 halves. Willing to share all I know and point you in the right direction......as for losing weight while you are trng for a half or full, it can be done, you just need to eat right and take back most of the calories you burn. Willing to walk you down this road....I will be running the NYC Full Marathon about that time next year.
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this but I am so glad to hear others having trouble losing during marathon training! I can't believe I'm running 50miles a week and not losing.

Back to the OP, I did my first half marathon almost a year ago, after training for 9 months -- starting out from sedentary. By the time my event came, after training steadily but not insanely, I was 40 lbs lighter. So depending on your current weight I think your goal is totally achievable! As you increase your long run over 40 minutes you'll start burning more fat. Easy does it -- it really does. 1min run, 4 min walk for 30-45 minutes to start. Gradually build the run portion. Worked for me!
  • betstone17
    Options
    I am running my 5th half marathon in a few weeks and I will say it's really difficult to lose weight while training for long distance running. I would work on doing HIIT from now until the spring and do sprints and other work to help you burn fat before you start training.

When I ran a marathon I burned 6000+ calories a week and gained 3 pounds! Granted I was a stronger and faster runner than when I began, but I was eating more and your body does get used to the movement after a while.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have my 4th half marathon on October 21st (Tucson), another on November 11th (Tucson), December 2nd (Las Vegas) and January 20th (Tempe). I'll probably try to squeeze a few more in before it gets too hot to run here, which is early May. :laugh:

I was able to successfully lose weight last year while training. I ran my first official race, a 10K in late October, and my first half marathon in late January. Granted, I didn't have a lot to lose but I started running not long after I joined MFP so almost all of my loss was while doing some sort of running. I've watched my body composition changing, too, which is more important than pounds, IMHO.

Unlike training for a marathon, you won't be running a lot of really long distances while you train. Your training distances are going to be anywhere up to around 11 miles, with the longest about 2 weeks before the race. Most runs will probably be in the 4-6 mile range with slowly increasing long runs on weekends, or every other weekend, depending on your training plan. You can do strength training or low impact cardio on the days between runs.

Feel free to add me, if you like. I have a few other runners amongst my friends and we enjoy cheering each other on while we train.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Build and maintain an adequate running volume throughout the year as average weekly running volume is the strongest influencer of aerobic fitness and race performance.

How much is adequate? As much as you can do without getting injured. If you are just starting out or restarting after a long layoff it is probably around 35 to 40 miles a week when your target is a half marathon..
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would love to train along side you. I am training for my 1st 1/2 marathon in June of 2013. I'm following a training program from the Runners World website. Not sure how the winter training will go since I live in Illinois but we'll see. I too am all ears for suggetsions and tips.

I need to lose more than 35 pounds but that would certainly be a bonus along the way. I'll be 50 next year and thought a 1/2 would be the way to cap it off!

Good luck to you!
  • Rebeccawks
    Rebeccawks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm running the Tampa Bay Gasparilla Fest half on Feb 22, 2013. This will be my second half but my last one was half walked and I was fifty pounds heavier. I too have about 30 lbs left to goal and would love to lose a bit while I train. :) I did my first training run today and am planning on maintaining my long rins at 8 mi. until January when I will lengthen them. :) gives me a chance to work on speed.

Add me if you'd like some encouragement. I love having friends with similar goals!

Becky