Inexpensive grocery shopping on a low carb diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 7 to feed (though many are small children) - I buy in bulk - esp meats. I just picked up an 8lb roaster chicken, a whole pork loin, boneless/skinless chicken thighs, and lean ground beef (93%) at Safeway on sale for $2/lb each. Definitely look for the sales. Buy larger cuts of meat and cut them yourselves, too. Last Xmas we got a whole beef tenderloin (a big annual splurge for us) and sliced it up ourselves using a YouTube video. I think I got the whole thing for $50 when it retails for like $35/lb if you get smaller cuts or filets. Not that any of us are eating filet regularly, but the logic applies to any large cuts.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to get my fruits and veggies at the stands rather than the grocery stores. Still not extremely cheap, but i can usually get about 4 full bags for about $30 at the veggie stand, versus one bad for $30 at the grocery store.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    People aren't obese because they find it's cheaper to eat junk than healthy. Feeble excuse.

You can eat junk and still be thin.

You can eat healthy food and still be obese.

The best option is to eat healthy and within a sensible calorie limit for your body.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    I decided it was cheaper and more delicious to make my own ranch with half generic sour cream/half generic mayo and buy the ranch powder in bulk.

I'm also a ranch fan...You should try the hidden valley ranch dip packet and mix it with a 500g container of 0% Fage greek yogurt! it tastes great, has more protein and no fat!
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    I grow my own veggies throughout the year - squash, beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers on raised beds. The tomatoes were never ending this year! Also buy meat when it's on special...our supermarket usually has special prices on chicken every month, or pork, or ground beef. Frozen veggies and fruit can be less expensive. Hope that helps a little?
  • demita1979
    Options
    I'm not trying to make excuses, but stating an observation, in my opinion. I don't typically buy groceries in my home so when I do I'm amazed at the amount of money it takes. I've lived by myself so I do know how high groceries can be. Living alone I often bought more bologna, bread, and hot dogs than I did healthier items because it was cheaper. I think our main problem right now is that we buy both healthy and non-healthy foods and it gets to be expensive. I'm not the one who usually buys the groceries (I have other bills that I pay in our household), but I have been looking for ways to help my aunt with the costs since we are buying more expensive items. There is a lot of temptation in the house from the male who still eats anything and everything he wants. Granted he's as thin as a rail and has the metabolism to eat tons and not gain an ounce.

I need to invest in a deep freezer so I can stock up on frozen items when I do have the extra money, or find a really good sale. We never have enough room. I could make up a lot of different things (healthy items) to freeze if I had more room.

This is only week 2 for my aunt and I, but I think we are doing great! It's not just about dieting but learning to change our eating habits. I grew up where groceries were limited, so as an adult I overcompensated by always makeing sure I had plenty of food in the house. Of course, that just added on the weight, too! It's hard breaking bad habits, but I know I can do it!!
  • EgglessKeto
    Options
    People aren't obese because they find it's cheaper to eat junk than healthy. Feeble excuse.

You can eat junk and still be thin.

You can eat healthy food and still be obese.

The best option is to eat healthy and within a sensible calorie limit for your body.
    The OP is making a statement about the societal environment, that doesn't mean personal responsibility is eliminated.

But, IMO, no one needs an "excuse" for their body, and your tone is very judgemental.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    canned tuna and salmon is fairly cheap and filling and a great protein. Ham steaks are usually fairly reasonable in price as well and if you cut them up into little cubes you can get a lot. I add it to salads and scrambled eggs throughout the week. Yes, you have to watch your sodium intake, but if you are careful with everything else in your day, it doesn't usually go overboard.