Shoveling!?!?!

Options
Everyone's so helpful here so I figured I'd ask. Is shoveling considered exercise? I have a large driveway that takes me at least 30 minutes to shovel, and that's if we only get around an inch. It snowed about 4 inches overnight and I have to go shovel soon. I was just wondering if it counted for any sort of exercise.

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Of course!!! It is a VERY good workout! I live in north east MT and we have to shovel too. If you have a heart rate monitor that would be the perfect answer to the calorie burn and to list it under the cardio for exercise I had to use high intensity gardening!!!! Healthy New Year!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Of course! It can even be found in the exercise database. Just be careful and don't overdo it. They recommend 15 minutes of shoveling then 15 minutes of rest is you are older, like me. :laugh: :laugh:
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I think it does. I do it so rarely that when I DO have to do it, it's definitely a workout. However, it's not listed in the exercises here. I'm sure you can do a search and find some general guidelines as to how many calories it may burn, and list it in your exercise log if you like. However, I usually just still do my regular exercises and let things like that be a kind of "bonus."
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Of course! It can even be found in the exercise database. Just be careful and don't overdo it. They recommend 15 minutes of shoveling then 15 minutes of rest is you are older, like me. :laugh: :laugh:

Is it in the database?! I swear it wasn't there a few weeks ago. Hmm... well then disregard my last little blurb! :laugh:
  • trisaratops
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I couldn't find it in the database but I found a website that may be helpful for some others who need to shovel.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp
    It has other exercises too. I just put that I was walking into my exercise diary thingy and changed the calories and the time to what the shoveling thing told me.
    :D
    P.S. I looked through some of the other exercises and they even have the Wii/Wii Fit listed!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I counted it when we had the 2 feet of snow a couple weeks back...got myself 800+ calories for 3 hours.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I counted it when we had the 2 feet of snow a couple weeks back...got myself 800+ calories for 3 hours.