Farm girl, horse nut looking for like friends!

Options
Hi,

New member here. I am a farm girl who loves her horses and cattle looking to lose 40-50 pounds. 48 years old. I ride as much as I can, but added a bunch of extra weight in the last few months (lost our house to a fire, life totally disrupted) and am finding it uncomfortable / difficult to ride as much. Would love a buddy or two (male or female) to share this struggle with.

Replies

• carlosfrederico
    Options
    Hang in there, girls..I am sad to hear about your loss.....and cant really imagine what it is like to loose a home.....but you are alive and healthy...so material stuff will come again...be happy you are still around and kicking.
    Hope to be around long time to see you doing nicely....take care.
    From Brazil, cheers!!
  • rocraz
    Options
    Hi there Savvygurl,

I´m a urban boy who loves farms. My father-in-law lives in farm in the heart of Brazil (in the center of the country), a place we visit often, chiefly because my kids love their grands, horses and the farm itself. And they are only 5yo and 8yo, but they are already able to ride the horses by themselves.

It´s sad to hear you have just lost your home in a fire. I do hope you had insurance, which will make things easier. Otherwise you look safe and sound and strong enough to recover from it. That´s one of the beauty of human beings: the ability to start from the scratch with a strenght that one can´t explain.

Stick around, don´t get down and blue and join us to lose those extra pounds.

Cheers
  • TiffanysWorld
    Options
    ya'll can add me: TiffanysJourney
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, horse nut here also.

Sorry to here about your home. Are you able to rebuild?

I just turned 50 and have about 50 more pounds to lose. I have three grown children, one with one yr of college left, and a 7 yr old grandson. I don't live on a farm, but would love to, would be cheaper than paying someone else to care for my horses. I have been riding since the age of 12, but stopped about 5 yrs ago. Trying to get back into it, but my body just doesn't feel right in the saddle. I miss it so much.

Have a 33 year old paint mare that has been retired for 6 yrs and an 11 year old paint gelding. My youngest was the only one to show interest and showed both horses for about 5 yrs. The gelding is now mine to ride, as she no longer shows. One of the reasons I have started this healthy eating to lose weight is to justify keeping him. I have to ride him, too good to let sit in a pasture.

Feel free to add me,

Lynn
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You can add me also if you like. I'm 37, have been on MFP for almost a year and my horses are definitely a motivator for losing weight. I want to feel comfortable and confident in the saddle again and I am sure my horses wouldnt mind if I was a bit lighter! Good luck and welcome.
  • nis75p06
    Options
    My fav mare is one of my prime reasons for losing my lard! I want t be able to ride again! I do combined driving. My horses do that, plus eventing/dressage/jumping/endurance with riders that actually look good in the saddle - part of my goal is getting small enough to fit in my saddle again so I can do more cool things with my best girl!

I have a grey Arabian mare named Anduril, a grey Arabian mare named Hadha (daughter of Anduril), a chestnut Arabian mare named Anna, a chestnut Arabian gelding named Gizmo, a chestnut Arabian gelding named Willie (sister of Anna), a bay Half-Arabian mare named Blossom, a grey Half-Arabian mare named Glory (daughter of Anduril), a grey Half-Arabian mare named Falchion (daughter of Anduril), and a bay Welsh Cob named Heartly!
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    nis75po6,

Wow, I'd say you love your Arabians! I do have one mare that is half Arabian and she is one of the most responsive horses I have ridden. She is also a very attentive mother and a smooth ride. Of course, she also has her moody days, but what female doesn't, lol. Glad to have you as a friend!

I know what you mean about fitting in the saddle. I have started using my son's saddle to ride. The seat is a bit bigger and more comfortable since I gained a bunch of weight.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    Options
    DMOMofTHREE,

Thanks for the comment. I, too, am a paint lover. Dreamed of having one since I was a girl of three. Finally got my paint mare in 2003. She is nine years old and has given me two beautiful foals and hours of pleasure.

My whole family rides (except my husband), but they are all so busy going here and there, they never have time to ride with me. I am currently teaching my 5yo granddaughter to ride so I'll at least have a riding buddy.

As for my house, We bought a new one and will be moving it in. We will be going from a bog old two story farm house to a much smaller ranch style. A lot of changes, but being back on the farm is the most important thing (we currently live in a very small rental in town). I miss looking out the patio doors and seeing the horses graze in the pasture or hearing them call to me when I walk out on the porch.

All in good time. I have decided that when I move in to the new house, it will be as a new me!

Good luck on your journey!
  • SavvyGurl0528
    Options
    Tiffany,

Awesome! Another paint lover! Thanks for adding me.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    Options
    mindyhenry74,

Love your pic. Beautiful horse. I'll have to put some pics of my horses on here. I have a palomino paint as well.

Thanks for adding me!!
  • TraciWestphal
    TraciWestphal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    HI there, I'm a farm girl. horse crazy person trying to lose weight too..lol. I'm from Iowa. I live and breath horses. I struggle losing weight.. instead of working out I make excuses to ride. I need to lose about 30 pounds. I'm 47 years old. I would be glad to help if you'd help me :-)
  • SavvyGurl0528
    Options
    Traci,

Awesome! Glad to add you. By the way, nice looking buckskin you are riding in your picture.

Good luck on your journey. I'll be seeing you!

Beth
  • westie007
    westie007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. Had horses when I was a teenager, father breeds cattle - Aberdeen Angus and I don't eat meat lol They are far too pretty to eat and such gorgeous eyes. I now live in a village and own the prettiest westie - Miss Darcey.
  • myprettyworld
    myprettyworld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I don't have horses but I ride and have always wanted one! I am a horse lover!
  • Merlot01
    Options
    early fifties...love my mare. We show on the Quarter Horse circuit. Have lost weight (125 lbs) in the past, but after a health battle put thirty back on. Have lost 13 lbs in the past 6 weeks using MFP. Would love to scrape another 25 off!
  • uptonia
    Options
    I ride hunter/jumpers and one of my biggest motivations for losing the weight (and keeping it off this time!) is my lovely OTTB gelding, who I adore. Feel free to add me! Good luck with your journey.
  • deeshober
    Options
    Hi there!! First and foremost---WELCOME! I have met some of the most incredible people here who truly understand my struggles. I hope that you will find the site as supportive and encouraging as I have. Second, I am so sorry to hear of all of the upheavel in your life. You must truly be a 'cowgirl' as you are hanging in there! Would love to keep in touch. 44-soon to turn 45 here. Had a standardbred in HS and college but over the years have gotten too fat to ride. I have lost 22 pounds with 17 more to go by march and then my daughter and I are going horseback riding on the beach during our cruise. She and I currently work on horses together. I am borrowing a sweet Belgian Mare and just enjoy riding for pleasure. Please feel free to friend me and again WELCOME!!!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi There and Welcome ! We have a large farm in Ohio, raise Paints & Quarter Horses. Daughter and son showed AQHA for years. We also raise cows, and have chickens for eggs and meat. My main reason to loose weight was to ride my gelding more. I have lost so much balance over these years of packing it on ! Feel free to add me if you would like, or anyone else that wants to add~ that's great, too. I am on daily, and will cheer you on . Good Luck to all =).
    To date for me on here:
    7 months in, 54 lbs lost, 71 inches gone and never coming back !
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and WELCOME to MFP..
    I am a horse lover as well. I had horses for years till my hubby and I moved to Germany ,He was in the Air Force.. I have been breaking , training and working with orse since I was 18yrs old.. I have worked on several ranches as a Groom and stable hand.. I really enjoy horses and miss having one.. My hubby and I owned a running quarter that we rescured from a ranch that starved several of them.. I also owned a Paso Fino/mustang cross.. We have had several others as well.I trained ponies to pull cart as well.
    You are welcome to add me if you wish.. :drinker: