Evening exercisers, sleep question

Options
13»

Replies

• Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym late. Sometimes I don't get home until 1:30am to 2:00am. I never have trouble sleeping. I am usually passed out on the couch within 15 minutes of being home. My poor husband has the most awful time trying to get me from the couch to the bed.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    If I work out too close to bed I can't sleep. I get a lot of endorphins and adrenaline and it's just no good. I work out right after work (I get to the gym around 6) and I have found that working out at this time helps me sleep better at eleven. Everything starts to fade by ten and I am in bed lights out an hour later.
    I think I need to try to work out straight after work and not after dinner. Lately it just hasn't worked out that way because I haven't gotten many calories during the day, so I need some fuel before I try to work out. Thank goodness I get paid tomorrow so I can restock on fruit, snacks, and good lunches I can bring to work so I'm not skimping so much--the past couple days I've been at like 500/600 calories for the day when I head home and I've already burned that just by being awake and working. It's not enough to get me through a work out with the kind of energy I feel I need to make it worth it.

I think nailing the timing down with food is important. I don't know if you're like me, but left to do things intuitively I'll drift all over the clock (with eating, sleeping, what have you). Just doesn't sync up with the way the world works, unfortunately :(