Frozen Meals

2»

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    I have been really lazy not wanting to cook and I was wondering buying Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy choices are good for you? They have them for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack. :happy:

For sure, they are all limited in sodium. Try to make sure you add some veggies with them to bulk them out with some fibre and stuff!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    What do you freeze them in and how do you re heat them?

I would think a freezer and then a microwave???
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    One of the problems is that it's processed food, and most of them have a ton of sodium.

If you're super busy, is there one day a week where you're not? You can make your own meals ahead of time and freeze/refridgerate them... it'd probably end up being cheaper than frozen dinners in addition to being better for you.

^ That
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    A few times a week, or even once a day, I would say you're fine. But eating them for every single meal isn't going to be helping you in the long run. You're probably getting about 500-800mg of sodium each time, so you're dropping 2000-3200mg of sodium into your system every day when 2000 should be about the maximum you want (the FDA actually officially dropped it to 1500 a little while ago).

You aren't learning anything about what to buy, make, and eat to lead a sustained healthy lifestyle. You should try to wean yourself off of the the frozen meals and start cooking food for yourself for most of your meals and snacks. Fresh meats and produce are going to be the cornerstones of being healthy and staying at a healthy weight for the rest of your life. Now is the time to start learning about cooking and preparing them in a meaningful way to the journey that you are on.

Try starting with even just one meal a day that you make yourself instead of having the frozen meal. Then move onto two meals. And eventually try to reduce the frozen meals to only an occasion supplement to your diet. I'll bet you'll find that fresh chicken breast, fresh veggies, and even freshly cooked pasta all taste better than what you find in those meals. And fill you up better too. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    I have been really lazy not wanting to cook and I

it is so incredibly easy to eat better food than frozen dinners. unless you are "really lazy".
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    I use the steamers when i dont have time to cook. yes, they are kind of high in sodium but I sweat enough and drink plenty of fluids and I'm rarely over so I' dont worry too much about that. I agree fresher is better.. but the bottom line is calories is calories. The portion size is right for me and it leaves me room caloric wise to have an evening snack later.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    It's still processed food, try to make a day during the week to cook all your meals and cut up veggies for the week. Saves a ton of time!