1yr. on MFP, 35lbs. lighter. Many things learned! Pics!

Options
Yesterday I hit my one year mark here on MFP. Honestly when I first started one year ago I didn't really know what to expect. Had no idea if I'd succeed or fail at losing weight. I actually bumped into MFP because I had a new iPhone and wanted an app that would let me scan bar codes on food and voila I found MFP!! I also joined a gym at the same time I signed up for MFP.

My stats on September 16, 2011
Weight- 237.4 pounds
Right arm- 14 inches
Waist- 43 inches
Hips- 53 inches
Right thigh- 29.5

My stats on September 17, 2012
Weight-201.8
Right arm-11.5
Waist-38.5 inches
Hips- 46 inches
Right thigh- 27 inches

My original goal was to lose 50-100 pounds by my first year anniversary. That didn't happen, which is hard to accept, when I see so many people who do lose that much in the first year. I've learned that I needed to come to terms with that if I was going to succeed at this little game of getting healthy :) So, I put my big girl pants on and just kept fighting!!

What I've learned this first year:

*this wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!
*it also wasn't as easy as I thought it would be!
*you can't do this alone, my Heavenly Father who loves me and wants me to succeed at this! Pray for help :-)
*everyone loses at different rates
*don't compare yourself to someone else, just compare yourself to your old self. You'll see improvement!
*give yourself an event to lose weight for...for me a family vacation
*just because you're really heavy doesn't mean you'll lose the weight really fast, some might but I didn't
*I feel better if I do some sort of exercise EVERYDAY!!
*You can lose weight if you're eating everyday food. Maybe this might be why I lost a bit slower but I also wanted to be able to do this the rest of my life. So I pretty much ate what I fed my family, just in smaller portions.
*With that being said, I found myself eating healthier choices of food because I felt better when I did.
*I didn't let one day or even one week of eating bad ruin my whole plan.
*If you make a bad choice put it behind you and start again. You'll do this MANY times, so forgive yourself!!
*My body is amazing and can do amazing things! Give your body a chance and you'll be surprised at what it can do!!
*Having friends who support you makes all the difference! I have an AMAZING group of MFP family!!
*I posted positive thoughts on my "weight loss notebook" Seeing these positive, motivational thoughts helped me keep going!!
*My "weight loss notebook" has recipes, goals, measurements, fitness routine, etc in it
*Log in EVERYDAY if you want to succeed! If you do it helps keep you focused on what you want to accomplish.
*Drink LOTS of water!!
*Get a heart rate monitor and/or something to help you keep track of calories burned (I have a HRM and a Fitbit and love them both!!)
*EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!! or at least most of them, starving yourself doesn't work!!

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more things I learned after I post this but we'll leave it at that for now. I still have at least 50 more pounds to go so I'm sure I'll be making a "what I learned after being on MFP for 2 years...haha!" post a year from now!!

Now for a few photos....

September 2010- I'm sure I weighed at least 237 if not a pound or two more

IMG_4918Liz.jpg

September 2012

Rexberg2.jpg

October 2011- The beginning of my journey

photo61edit.jpg

20 pounds into my journey

photo62edit.jpg

Family Vacation this summer 2012
DisneyCollageSmaller.jpg
IMG_00772smaller.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
36619540012Edit.jpg

Positive Thoughts That Helped Me On This Journey!!

"A year from now you will wish you started today"

"If you started exercising when you first thought about it, you'd be done by now"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it"

"Success is not always what you see"

"You don't always get what you wish for, you get what you WORK for!"

Replies

• Morningstar93
    Options
    Well done!! you look fabulous.. the smile you have now speaks a thousand words
  • lmdee73
    Options
    Great job on your success!
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What an awesome journey! Congratulations on your weight loss, you can really see a difference.
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    you look great! congratulations!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Amazing change, keep up the great work!! Your family vacation looks like it was lots of fun.
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! I CAN'T WAIT TO HIT MY YEAR MARK.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congrats and keep up the good work!!!
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done! Such an inspiration :D I'm sending you a friend request to hopefully be added to your MFP family :flowerforyou:
  • Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look wonderful! I really needed this. We overcome by each others testimony. I really need to pray for strenght and patience. I also need to admit that I haven't been putting forth my all by logging in everyday. It just really gets frustrating when from one day to the next I gain a lb after a clean eat and workout day. But I resolve to hang in there! Keep up the good work and thanks again!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look fantastic :-)
  • RayeTaylor
    Options
    Yeah! Great job. You look fabulous!
  • ceajules
    Options
    Awesome
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Awesome, way to go!!
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement so far. You look great!:flowerforyou:
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing! Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your pics and your experiences.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Can I just say a huge thank you for pointing out that larger people do not necessarily lose weight faster. I started at 245lbs and the most I have lost in one week is 3lbs, I usually go down by 1lb-1 1/2lb a week and I am sure people look at me like I am kidding or something. I lose slowly and it sucks but it is the way I am, anyway a HUGE congratulations on your loss, you look so much healthier now and thank you for the tips, I sure as heck can use them.
  • USM1983
    Options
    Congratulations well done!!!!!!!!
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You're such a beautiful woman! Your smile is so contagious! And you already know this, but wow, you look absolutely amazing!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    So inspiring!! And what a beautiful family! I absolutely LOVED what you said about eating what your family does just in smaller portions. This is exactly what I'm struggling to do. I've been on Jenny Craig, but put all the weight back on once I started eating meals with my family again. I need to figure out how to do this long term, and if it takes a little longer that's ok :).
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You look fabulous. Gorgeous smile =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!