Grrrr... Plantar Fasciitis

Options

Replies

• MTGWW
    MTGWW Posts: 34
    Options
    Make sure the elliptical is at a low tension, then that shouldn't hurt the knees, but you can still get your cardio. I've had plantar fascitis for years, and I agree, the elliptical is better than the treadmill.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Standard treatment in the UK seems to be orthotics and calf stretches. The stretching really does help. Put one edge of a cutting board on top of the edge of a thick book and stand with your toes raised on that for a several minutes a couple of times a day.

In the meantime, rowing machine.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used Ice bottle, stretching and had massage therapy. No more PF, of course this was after $1500 worth of foot doctor PT. I refused to get the shots.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yoga! Lots of downward facing dogs. It healed mine.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I developed PF as a result of injuring my foot years ago.

1) Get yourself a passive night splint. I sleep in one every night and have for years. This keeps your foot flexed so that the tendon heals in the stretched position. I noticed an immediate reduction in pain and stiffness when I started to use one, and you may only need it for a month or so.

2) Stretch your calves and hamstrings! Stretch lots! And then stretch some more! I do yoga and have a heavy hamstrings and hip openers focus to my work, which keeps things loose and comfortable. (Plus it impresses people when you can bend over and put your hands on the floor....)
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I suffered quite a lot with arch pain at my heaviest and switched to MBT shoes, cleared it up for me but they are stupidly expensive.

I now wear sketchers shape ups which I can get a lot cheaper
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Rest it up, keep to your cals without the walk as best you can - the Fascitis should disperse on it's own with rest. The spur though, that will be trickier.

Try cycling or swimming!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have the same thing right now :(

From a combination of what my dad told me (he's had the same thing) and what the doctor told me, here's my plan of attack:
    1) Stretching http://www.carymed.com/plantar.pdf).
    2) Ice it.. my dad says before and after activity. One good way to do it is to freeze a water bottle.
    3) Make sure to not walk around barefoot.
    4) Shoe inserts.
    5) Good shoes (if only I had followed #5 earlier this month.. that's what got me!)
    6) I'm taking a week off from athletic activities to hopefully give it time to heal (no pun intended :P)

I also got a pack of steroids from the doctor to reduce inflammation. Good luck.. hope it feels better for you.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I read a little about ESWT. Hopefully, I caught this early enough that with some rest and maybe orthotics I'll be OK. Thanks for the information though, and I'm glad that you're over it!
    I suffered with this in both feet for about a year. I got orthotics and had a few pain relief injections but didn't really do much. In the end I had Extra-Corpreal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) and after 4 treatments and about 6 weeksafter I have never had pain again and that was about 5 years ago.

I still wear the orthotics in my gym shoes and do a range of cardio classes and my feet have been great. I do Body Balance and i am sure this also helps keep my feet in check with all the great stretches.

I suffered for several years (over 5), orthotics, special exercises, injections and rest did not help. Under water ultra-sound cured it for me. Two treatments and no more pain - that was over two years ago. I wasted a lot of money that ended up requiring a $50.00 cure. Good luck to you,
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had this exact thing happen! Orthotics helped a little, but getting better shoes helped a lot (buh-bye ballet flats!).

It took several months to truly subside, and during that time I couldn't exercise-walk, and limped when I had to walk just to get around.

Swimming was a good alternative, and also I got myself a recumbent exercise bike for home.

Good luck-- it's not an easy problem to get rid of.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I had it one time in the right foot more than the left. I had to wear that tin man boot for about a year, and it doesn't just hurt in the bottom of your foot but also around the ankles from weakness. I would suggest doing what she did to get it fixed or you will be on a long road to recovery. But think about joining somewhere who has indoor winter swimming for exercise, It burns ore calories than anything else I have tried. Just don't give up!
  • Hi everybody,

Most treatments for Plantar Fasciitis are just syptomatic relief. Even podiatry and orthodics is just a bandaid. They don't get to the true cause of the problem, which is your GAIT. (ie the way you walk.) And they don't teach you how to change your gait so that the problem goes away for good.

The only modality I know which addresses the true cause of problems like Plantar Fascitis is The Feldenkrais Method.

I suffered from Plantar Fasciitis and seve hell pain for about two years and I tried everything in that time, including all the bandaids like heel inserts and rolling my foot on a ball etc etc. I went to one Feldenkrais workshop and had one 1:1 session with a Feldenkrais Parctitioner in which I learned exactly what I was doing with my body when I walked that was aggravating my plantar fascia every time I took a step. Within a few weeks the pain and inflammation was gone and it HAS NEVER COME BACK.

So I suggest to everyone here to go out and track down a Feldenkrais Practitioner in your area and give it a try. It's the most cutting edge stuff out there.

It'll probably help you get to the true cause of most of your other aches and pains as well, eg back ache, neck ache etc . It's the only thing out there that actually shows you the habits of movement you are doing with your body that are causing all the aches and pains, and shows you how to stop doing them.

Good luck with it!

xx
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Does anyone have any other suggestions of cardio that I can do to keep this weight loss going, without having to be worried about damaging my feet?

I'm dealing with exactly this right now. I was running 2 miles a day, 6 days a week and then BAM one day my foot hurt like hell. The elliptical and the stationary bike have worked well for me and don't seem to irritate my foot at all.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I ruptured mine awhile back and now have problems with it sporadically. For me I make sure you have appropriate shoes (i.e. good shoes for walking) and Stretch, stretch, stretch!!

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/plantar-fasciitis/stretching-exercises-plantar-fasciitis

Even to now when I start jogging sometimes it will tighten up. I stop and stretch. I ruptured mine so this part may be different but I would elevate my foot and ice it. Sometimes after walking all day at a fishing or boat show on concrete floors (even with good sneakers on) when I get home I will ice my foot. It seems to help. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've had a pain for about month in one foot and I'm 99% sure its PF. I've increased my walking since I started MFP in May with no problems, but a month ago, I stopped daily walks and I started working on repairs and renovations and landscaping my house and the stop and start moving and lifting heavy stones and digging seems to have brought it on. If I sit and read with my foot flat and then get up, I can hardly walk across the room, but if I flex and stretch the foot before I stand,its less pain and 5 minutes later I'm able to go fora walk with no pain at all. I've also learnt to flex my foot before I get out of bed.

I'm not enthused about orthotics, spent years getting ripped off be some guy who was constantly prescribing new ones, claiming my stance was lobsided (I had no foot problems at the time). Also for other reasons - a major injury on my other foot from years ago - I need to be sock free and barefoot as much as possible - so wearing shoes all the time is not a solution.

From what I read, and from talking to a friend that has it, avoiding movement seems like the wrong thing to do.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim a lot. Degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet, surgery already on one foot, makes walking long distances not an option.
    But i can swim 5K (110 laps). Did last night. Felt really good.
    Swimming uses more muscles too without impact on any joints. It is a great way to get exercise and rebuilding muscle while losing weight.
  • Zoomie101
    Options
    I suffer with PF too - my GP has recomended swimming and the weight is starting to fall off. I go 3 times a week, and am only up to 30 lengths each time, but it's a start...
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well this just sucks... I've been on MFP for about 2 months now, and have lost 32 lbs. It's been a great experience so far, one of the things that I've enjoyed most is the 2-4 mile walk that I've been taking at lunch. Last Wed. I had a sharp searing pain in my right arch on and off all day, and then since then it's been a non stop pain since then.

I went to see a Podiatrist today, and sure enough, it's Plantar Fasciitis (and a developing heel spur too). He wrapped my foot up to give it some support, and when I go back next week, we'll talk about whether I need orthotics or not, but now, I'm scared to go walking again. The pain (other than that first day) hasn't been to bad, but the last thing that I want to do is to make it worse and have to deal with pain like that on a regular basis.

It's depressing to be making progress, and then have something like this happen. I've tried the recumbent bike in the gym a couple of times, and that just doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cardio that I can do to keep this weight loss going, without having to be worried about damaging my feet?

Thanks!
    I'm suffering with the same thing, and I have taken a week off of running and wearing high heels to work. The thing that has helped the most is the brace I sleep in. You can get it from any drug store, about $40. It was worth the investment. I too spend a lot of time stretching my tendon and pulling my foot up to keep it limber. Good luck to you, I'm going to start walking this weekend on the treadmill on an incline; it's supposed to help.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yeeeouch, I feel your pain! I had it in my right foot. Try freezing golf balls and rolling them under your arches (sounds crazy but the cold and the fact that they are small gets them riiiight where you need them) also stretch like there's no tomorrow and try walking in the pool, you can even get some of those webbed gloves to up the resistance and give your upper body a trashing too :) Another good exercise is 'heel drops' from a step, when you are stronger you can tippy toe to drop, its a great calf workout too. Feel better soon x x
  • NCISFanatic01
    NCISFanatic01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well this just sucks... I've been on MFP for about 2 months now, and have lost 32 lbs. It's been a great experience so far, one of the things that I've enjoyed most is the 2-4 mile walk that I've been taking at lunch. Last Wed. I had a sharp searing pain in my right arch on and off all day, and then since then it's been a non stop pain since then.

I went to see a Podiatrist today, and sure enough, it's Plantar Fasciitis (and a developing heel spur too). He wrapped my foot up to give it some support, and when I go back next week, we'll talk about whether I need orthotics or not, but now, I'm scared to go walking again. The pain (other than that first day) hasn't been to bad, but the last thing that I want to do is to make it worse and have to deal with pain like that on a regular basis.

It's depressing to be making progress, and then have something like this happen. I've tried the recumbent bike in the gym a couple of times, and that just doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions of cardio that I can do to keep this weight loss going, without having to be worried about damaging my feet?

Thanks!

Been there done that. Had it in both heels about 10 years ago. When I couldn't afford the $300+ orthodics they wanted me to get my doctor told me about one of the local drug stores that sold orthodic inserts from Dr. Scholl's. No not the ones you can get at walmart. These are only sold in RX stores that also rent wheel chairs crutches walkers..that kind of stuff. For about $20 (at the time that I got these) I was able to save a fortune and I know longer have any pain or spurs in my feet. If you can find them those will help you along with a good pair of sturdy lace up shoes. I wear them even now and the last pair I bought about
    7 years ago are still going strong. Good luck.