Why are we the last to see it

Options
sds76
sds76 Posts: 215 Member
I have lost 45 lbs so far. I have quite a ways to go but 45 lbs is a lot. I've had several people comment on my loss but I wasn't seeing it. I mean I have gone down several sizes in jeans and shirts, I measure, so I know I was decreasing in size but I didn't see it. Last night I decided to do my very first comparison shot. I have no idea how to post but you can see it on my profile. I looked at the comparison for quite a while last night. How can I change so much and not see it. I guess it's a mental game :). I'm going to start looking at mysef, really looking. I am working to darn hard to not be the first to "see' the results.

Replies

• rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I think it's because the changes are so gradual and we see ourselves in the mirror everyday. With such minor daily changes, it makes it hard to see. I did a program called Kosama that lasted 8 weeks and they took before and after photos for us and without those, I wouldn't have believed I had changed so much. Sure, I went down a couple sizes and people were noticing, but I wasn't. Now when I want to know what I look like, I take a picture instead of look in the mirror. I think that helps.

Congrats!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    What we see every day becomes the new normal... I was the same way, saw a bit of a difference but when I put two pictures up next to each other it's a total eye opener.

You're doing great and look awesome, keep up the outstanding work!
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you purchased new (smaller) clothes recently? I find that every time I buy new clothes, I start to feel fat again, because I just recognize that the clothes aren't loose... but they're smaller, so that makes no sense. Our brains do crazy things to us! I can totally see the difference in your profile picture!
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think we don't see it because we have spent so much time beating ourselves down in our head. I know that is how it is for me.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I climb in bed every night feeling like a blob...I honestly don't know how to change my mind!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Have you purchased new (smaller) clothes recently? I find that every time I buy new clothes, I start to feel fat again, because I just recognize that the clothes aren't loose... but they're smaller, so that makes no sense. Our brains do crazy things to us! I can totally see the difference in your profile picture!

Omg... I felt that way today. I bought a pair of jeans a size down and they're tighter that my other jeans which made me feel fat!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Huge difference already! WTG!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 lbs so far. I have quite a ways to go but 45 lbs is a lot. I've had several people comment on my loss but I wasn't seeing it. I mean I have gone down several sizes in jeans and shirts, I measure, so I know I was decreasing in size but I didn't see it. Last night I decided to do my very first comparison shot. I have no idea how to post but you can see it on my profile. I looked at the comparison for quite a while last night. How can I change so much and not see it. I guess it's a mental game :). I'm going to start looking at mysef, really looking. I am working to darn hard to not be the first to "see' the results.

Do you do front, side, and back profile pics in a bathing suit? I did this just for myself. I would never post the pictures but I did this once or month or so and you can see results that the scale and tape measure don't show. Most of the progress seems to show in the back view. It's this little bit of NSV that can keep you motivated.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It's a huge mental game. I can TOTALLY see a difference in your face shot you have as your profile pic.
    When I look at my pics I can see it, but when I look in the mirror I struggle to see it sometimes. It takes alot of self talk ... but I am getting better!
  • Maddielen
    Options
    You can't see the loss for the same reason you didn't "See the Gain".....

Like me, I bet that when you were gaining you avoided scales. Then one day you stepped on the scale and you saw a BIG number and couldn't believe it. Where did that number come from? I hadn't "seen" myself gaining....it was just 1 pound after another after another after another....until one day I arrived at a "big number".

So don't get frustrated if you don't "see it" going down. Instead, think about the joy you'll find when you arrive at a "Little Number".
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Up until now, you have been seeing the gradual daily change. Now you have seen the cumulative effect of your efforts! Great work!
  • sds76
    Options

Do you do front, side, and back profile pics in a bathing suit? I did this just for myself. I would never post the pictures but I did this once or month or so and you can see results that the scale and tape measure don't show. Most of the progress seems to show in the back view. It's this little bit of NSV that can keep you motivated.

no I haven't but I think I will...just for me :) thanks.
  • sds76
    Options
    thank you all for your kind words, glad to know I'm not alone :)
    120111 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    keep up the great job your doing...maybe take some pics and compare as weight drops off! :flowerforyou:
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    It is probably because we are our most harsh critic sometimes. It could be a matter of "I know I'm losing weigh, but this process is taking too long. Why isn't my stomach flat already? Where is my muscle definition?"
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You look great! There is definitely a difference!

I know what you mean though. Didn't see my parents for 3 months, then they are shocked at how thin I got. And it was only then I noticed that I hadn't undone buttons on any of my clothes for a month!

Strangely, now I'm focusing on losing weight, I see myself as bigger than I am I think; like, now I might look at myself and think 'wow! you have LOADS to lose!' when before I thought I was in pretty good shape (I wasn't). :huh:
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    For me it has always been about perfection. I do notice, in the mirror, when I lose weight or tone up something, but I never look at the big picture. My eyes always seem to focus in on the spots that "still need work". I'm down 60lbs of fat, but up 19lbs of muscle and even though I KNOW I look WAAAAAY better than I did 3 years ago I still can't look past the few bumps and bulges I have left to thin out. However, working out everyday is what keeps me thinking positive about myself. Even though I may not be happy with every aspect of my body at least I'm doing something about it! That mentality is what allows me to wear a bikini, short shorts and form fitting dresses without obsessing about the bulge because I know one day, if I keep working hard, it won't be there anymore!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures!
    We are the last to see it because (I think, this is my experience) your brain is so trained to seeing someone bigger. I still have many days on which I feel I am still 230 pounds and a size 20. In reality, I am 77 pounds lighter and a size 10, but I still SEE myself as obese. Some days are better than others and it gets clearer as you buy smaller clothes. :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic shows an amazing difference! Congratulations! I agree with everyone that you can't see it as much because you see yourself everyday and the changes are tiny on that basis. I also agree that if you thought of yourself as fat for a long time you may see yourself as that same fat person. It takes time to get used to. But don't let that stop you buying new things and seeing people you haven't seen in a while. I hate looking at pictures of myself, so the only pictures of me fat are ones other people have, except of course my driver's license photo!
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I had a fun experience the other day at a family cookout with people who haven't seen me in months. Perfect timing too because I had just been feeling kind of like it is taking soooooo long to lose this weight. When I walked into my cousins back yard at least 5 people practically lost their minds over how much weight ive lost! What an awesome boost that was! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!