what makes a good or bad server?

Options
Nothing quite pisses me off like going out for a meal and getting crap service
I'm sure this varies by person so what things does a server do that causes you to raise or lower a tip?

My biggest annoyances:

Everyone wants napkins. 2 to 4 people plus the table have touched the one the silverware is wrapped in, I'm not touching my face with it.

If the whole table orders sandwiches, please bring condiments before the food.

Bring appetizer plates...enough for the kids too. And yes my 2 yr old needs silverware.

Please don't make me wait ten minutes for my check. Especially if I can see you chatting With co workers.

If you treat my child like a person you get bonus points

I don't feel that's too much to ask. Yes I have waited tables and understand if its busy and I see you at other tables or waiting for bar drinks, but if you just dissapear I'm guessing you are smoking, eating, or chatting in the back. If another server or the busser gets more than one thing for me, they get part of your tip.

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Coming back from their smoke break and breathing their disgusting smoker breath all over you and your food.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants napkins. 2 to 4 people plus the table have touched the one the silverware is wrapped in, I'm not touching my face with it.

Oh, I never thought that was a big deal, and I used to be a server too. Just use the inside of the napkin.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Oh, I never thought that was a big deal, and I used to be a server too. Just use the inside of the napkin.

I rolled silverware last night and walked it over to the tables myself. One person, who washes their hands right before rolling, touches the end of the silverware where I work.
  • _granola
    Options
    I have never considered any of my experiences as poor service. I always tip 20%. I never assume that someone is just being a jerk and slacking off at their job. I'd rather assume first that they probably are just really busy, and that everyone makes mistakes. I think it's kind of rude to expect a server to be a mind reader and know all of your personal preferences when you come in to eat.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well I only eat at nice upscale places so I typically get great service.. I have been a server in fine dining and top scale places as well so I think it depends on where you are eating.. Also take into consideration how busy they are and are they understaffed if so that is not their problem or fault... Maybe their just having a bad day and nothing is going right and their not purposely trying to give you bad service... I find the worst service is usually at low class places so I don't eat at those places!
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    I have never considered any of my experiences as poor service. I always tip 20%. I never assume that someone is just being a jerk and slacking off at their job. I'd rather assume first that they probably are just really busy, and that everyone makes mistakes. I think it's kind of rude to expect a server to be a mind reader and know all of your personal preferences when you come in to eat.

exactly!!!!! Maybe we should talk about rude customers that irritate the servers!
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    Eh, well, I currently work in a restaurant, and I know first-hand how annoying, ridiculous, snobby and downright horrific people can be to servers/hosts/bussers. So I tend not to judge too harshly. However, I do work in a really accomidating restaurant, so if I go somewhere and can't get something done a little differently than it's usually served, that annoys me. But as long as a server's friendly and personable, I'm usually pretty chill about how things go. I've been there, so I get it.
  • MissMegan3119
    Options
    As a former server, I agree with you on most of these. The only one I will defend, is many restaurants have a policy of not giving silverware at the beginning of a meal to kids, as their meals tend to be aimed towards eating with a spoon or hands. It's really just safety precautions. While to some it seems like common sense to teach your kids not to be mini warriors with their silverware, it does happen, and there are parents who do not pay a lick of attention to what their kids are doing.
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    You know what annoys me as a restaurant employee? People who let their kids run RAMPANT. Coloring all over the table, crumbs everywhere, silverware thrown around, food and napkins all over the floor--it looks like a tiny tornado hit. I get that kids can be messy, but sometimes I think parents don't even CARE that their children are inconveniencing other people.

I think annoying things that customers do is a much more interesting topic, to be honest!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You know what annoys me as a restaurant employee? People who let their kids run RAMPANT. Coloring all over the table, crumbs everywhere, silverware thrown around, food and napkins all over the floor--it looks like a tiny tornado hit. I get that kids can be messy, but sometimes I think parents don't even CARE that their children are inconveniencing other people.
    My sister-in-law lets her kids do this. It's embarassing to go out with her.
  • deniseearheart
    Options

I think annoying things that customers do is a much more interesting topic, to be honest!

this^^^^ Or how about oneing you to death... they can't ask for everything they need at once , they see you busy yet every time you bring them something they decide they need something else to go with it... Or how about the cheap old ladies who want hot water only and they bring in their own tea bags!!!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the solution is here. If the server brings you a new napkin it's still been touched by other people.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Really the only issue I have is an unattentive waitress. I don't want to have to ask your coworker walking by for what I need because you fail to look up or even acknowledge me and my table as you walk by.

As for the check: I HATE being rushed with the check. We go to Mexico (cancun area) all the time and at the high end restaurants you have to ask for the check. Also service is impeccable. My husband has lifted his finger to say something and the waiters were right there asking what we need. Servers in the US can take a hint from the service that is offered in other countries.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

If I walk into a place and there are screaming unruly children I walk right out and never go back.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the solution is here. If the server brings you a new napkin it's still been touched by other people.

You know that plate your food is on? Yeah, it probably got touched by a few people too.

ETA: The steward who washed it and then put it back on the line, the cook/chef who plated your food, the expo who trayed it, the runner/server who served it... If people touching things is an issue for you, you may want to stay home.
  • OhKelsey1
    Options

this^^^^ Or how about oneing you to death... they can't ask for everything they need at once , they see you busy yet every time you bring them something they decide they need something else to go with it... Or how about the cheap old ladies who want hot water only and they bring in their own tea bags!!!

Down here it's ice water, Splenda and a lemon! And you know what gets me as a host? When you walk a group to their table, and they look at EACH OTHER and say, "Oh, is this okay?" Like there's not a reason I walked you to this particular table. Oh, sure, just sit anywhere.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second a lot of people here in saying most of those things are personal preferences. Servers aren't mind readers. Different restaurants have different policies regarding condiments, silverware, and so-forth (often for good reasons). If you want something, ask! Ask a server, a host, anyone who works there will probably help you out.

It's tough for me to complain about restaurant staff, knowing how hard my coworkers do their jobs. If even one person slacks off, the whole system suffers. Even if you don't see your server, he/she is probably in the back getting ice, replacing cups, replacing plates, or hunting for any number of obscure necessities a customer may have requested.

Customers can be wonderful and patient. They can also be completely irrational, with a sense of entitlement that simply makes no sense. Can I make one request to customers out there? A personal plea? If the host tells you that the wait is one hour, don't complain to the manager about the hour-long wait. It's not the staff's fault: we're working our buttocks off trying to get food served and tables clean; blame all of the other customers who came before you, and take two hours chatting at their table.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Down here it's ice water, Splenda and a lemon! And you know what gets me as a host? When you walk a group to their table, and they look at EACH OTHER and say, "Oh, is this okay?" Like there's not a reason I walked you to this particular table. Oh, sure, just sit anywhere.

You know what? I've done that before and it's because you are leading me to a section that is full of screaming babies. I'm sorry but I do jot want to sit any where near that. You, as the hostess,, can clearly see no one in my party has children so why on earth do you think we would want to sit near them?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    I'm going to second a lot of people here in saying most of those things are personal preferences. Servers aren't mind readers. Different restaurants have different policies regarding condiments, silverware, and so-forth (often for good reasons). If you want something, ask! Ask a server, a host, anyone who works there will probably help you out.

It's tough for me to complain about restaurant staff, knowing how hard my coworkers do their jobs. If even one person slacks off, the whole system suffers. Even if you don't see your server, he/she is probably in the back getting ice, replacing cups, replacing plates, or hunting for any number of obscure necessities a customer may have requested.

Customers can be wonderful and patient. They can also be completely irrational, with a sense of entitlement that simply makes no sense. Can I make one request to customers out there? A personal plea? If the host tells you that the wait is one hour, don't complain to the manager about the hour-long wait. It's not the staff's fault: we're working our buttocks off trying to get food served and tables clean; blame all of the other customers who came before you, and take two hours chatting at their table.

Good points.

I have never had an issue with a long wait as long as there is room at the bar. If not then I thank the hostess and go else where. This has nothing to do with the establishment but simply because I just don't want to wait that long for whatever reason.

Now what about the server who is seen but whose eyes are down an they never look around at who they are serving? I have encountered that took y times to count -- at high end restaurants mind you! That is the most annoying thing ever.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

You know what? I've done that before and it's because you are leading me to a section that is full of screaming babies. I'm sorry but I do jot want to sit any where near that. You, as the hostess,, can clearly see no one in my party has children so why on earth do you think we would want to sit near them?

Or, you took me to a booth and me and my fat eating partner aren't sure we can fit our fatness into it.