The person you want to be...

Options
I've seen a couple of posts recently about people's successes on here talking about "becoming the person they want to be". I was wondering if many people have thought about this - who do you want to be and how is your weightloss "journey" (for lack of a better word) helping you become that person?

I would like to be less cynical and judgmental and just generally "happier". I want to be "the fit one", and I want to look it.

I feel that as I'm been striving towards fitness and health, I'm also struggling with coming to terms with myself, and I find myself trying harder to be positive and enjoy life. Meeting my exercise goals makes me feel better about myself and generally happier with life, I think. I reckon I've still got a lot of work to do, but I'm confident that I'm on my way to becoming "the person I want to be".

What about you?

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No one? Sweet then :tongue:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'll just be the person I am now, only a lot smaller and in clothes available at any shop.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i wanna be the hot one. Losing 50lbs now has helped me out by making me hotter. :tongue:
  • happypath101
    Options
    Oh boy! I could talk all day on this subject. Just look at my username here! :O)

I highly, highly, highly recommend a book called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin (sp?). It's a fun read and you can just absorb her thoughts and experiences or do your own project. But, it's really cool to step back and take inventory - what makes me happy, who do I want to be, what makes me unhappy, how do I absorb the happiness and avoid the other stuff? It sounds so elementary, but we often are too busy working out and paying the bills to pay it much attention. And, we have goofy thoughts like:

* Why should I be happy when others suffer?
    * If I'm happy and I know it, then the universe will rain calamity on me. So, I'd better control my level of sadness and lay low.
    * Shut up and just eat the damn cookie. No, your not full yet.

:o)

Can't wait to see how this conversation evolves!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I know I will be the same person personality wise. I'll just have a hot body to match. It's okay getting by socially as the funny fat girl...but I'm done with that. I'll be the funny fit girl!

Also, I want to be a better athlete - this will definitely help :).
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy.

I'm already a lot closer than I was a couple years ago.
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The person I am now. The beautifully flawed, strong, confident woman I am today.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My goal is to become a stronger person physically, mentally and spiritually!!! The stonger i get the better i feel, therefore the better person i become!! less focus on myself and more on helping others!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I thought when I lost 40kg a miracle would happen and I'd suddenly be happy and my life would be amazing. But not surprisingly my thinking was still out of kilter, my life didn't suddenly improve, I still had issues in my marriage but I did fit smaller clothes. I've now started the journey again after regaining the 40kg and am waaaaaayyyyyyy happier. I appreciate life a lot more, I adore my kids and husband, I'm gratefuly for a good job, and love being fit and healthy (even though I've got 20kg to go).
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    On average, we only have about 80 years on this 4.5 billion year old planet. Therefore, we may as well try to do something extraordinary, however we define it. That's my current outlook and motivation for becoming the best physical specimen I can.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was perfectly happy with the person i was/am until my soon to be ex wife stated I had let myself go and was now fat and she was no longer attracted to me. Sorry for the run on sentence.
  • Mgoose92
    Mgoose92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to be a role model... I want to inspire the people around me and the kids I work with.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I want to be the other person here say ewwwwwww I don't want to have that much muscles...well newbies at least. Pretty much everyone on me FL like women with muscles.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    On average, we only have about 80 years on this 4.5 billion year old planet. Therefore, we may as well try to do something extraordinary, however we define it. That's my current outlook and motivation for becoming the best physical specimen I can.

:heart:
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to be as fit as I was when I was 18 years old, which was a LONG time ago... :)

I feel that I am there now, but my other goal is to be more healthy for my 5-year-old son. With losing weight I can keep up with him a lot better, since he LOVES to run.

I also HATED to look at myself in the mirror, or even hated to not wear a shirt when swimming and such. Now it's not so badand I don't mind as much.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My journey here at MFP was not really about loosing weight, although I did need to. It really was about learning how to have a healthier relationship with food. One that was not obsessive, overindulgent, or avoidant. During my 10 months here, I have not only truly developed a healthier relationship with food, but also learned how to use those same skills with anything I tended to be "lop-sided" about, which included relationships with other people (especially romantic relationships) and the one I had with myself. The best way I can describe my transformation isn't that I am thinner or physically more fit or feel better physically (although those things are a by-product) , it is that I am more aware, more mindful, more in tune, and more present in my life! I am an active participant in my day to day decisions, not an emotionally reactive, impulsive zombie... I love making choices of what to eat, how to nourish my body, who to date, what healthy boundaries to put around me, etc. I love being PRESENT in my life, in my world, versus just reacting to it or doing what other people expect me to do...

All in all, I am simply more mindful and in tune to me, who I am at my core and I have learned to really care about me... To respect my needs and boundaries. I feel, for the first time in my life, all of my stars are aligned. Not one of them seems out of line... I am in total synch: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually... It's been a great, enlightening journey, one that I hope continues to grow and give me even more insight!
    What is Mindfulness? Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Some of these are really great responses. I think mindfulness was something I was really getting at; something that I'm looking to improve when it comes to all aspects of life, but also something that this weight loss progression is encouraging - thanks Dawn! :smile:
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    I've seen a couple of posts recently about people's successes on here talking about "becoming the person they want to be". I was wondering if many people have thought about this - who do you want to be and how is your weightloss "journey" (for lack of a better word) helping you become that person?

I would like to be less cynical and judgmental and just generally "happier". I want to be "the fit one", and I want to look it.

I feel that as I'm been striving towards fitness and health, I'm also struggling with coming to terms with myself, and I find myself trying harder to be positive and enjoy life. Meeting my exercise goals makes me feel better about myself and generally happier with life, I think. I reckon I've still got a lot of work to do, but I'm confident that I'm on my way to becoming "the person I want to be".

What about you?

I think it's a great attitude to have. I've been an MFP member for about 15 months and I've lost SO much weight that it has changed my confidence from zero to human! Tonight I launched a blog on Facebook with the hopes of showing others how a REAL girl like me could find that happiness and healthiness that comes from supportive people like on MFP, and from education about how food and exercise affects us individually.

This isn't sales - I make NO money from it, it's just for good REAL people to support each other further.
    https://www.facebook.com/Beingthisgirl
  • blessed0910
    Options
    I personally struggle with the thought of not being fat anymore. However, someone corrected me when I said that all of a sudden I would be a different person when I lost all the weight I wanted too. I will not lose all the weight over night so I will have time to adjust to it. I personally want to be confident in myself as well as healthy and sexy! The change will have to come not only physically but emotionally.
  • happypath101
    Options
    My journey here at MFP was not really about loosing weight, although I did need to. It really was about learning how to have a healthier relationship with food. One that was not obsessive, overindulgent, or avoidant. During my 10 months here, I have not only truly developed a healthier relationship with food, but also learned how to use those same skills with anything I tended to be "lop-sided" about, which included relationships with other people (especially romantic relationships) and the one I had with myself. The best way I can describe my transformation isn't that I am thinner or physically more fit or feel better physically (although those things are a by-product) , it is that I am more aware, more mindful, more in tune, and more present in my life! I am an active participant in my day to day decisions, not an emotionally reactive, impulsive zombie... I love making choices of what to eat, how to nourish my body, who to date, what healthy boundaries to put around me, etc. I love being PRESENT in my life, in my world, versus just reacting to it or doing what other people expect me to do...

All in all, I am simply more mindful and in tune to me, who I am at my core and I have learned to really care about me... To respect my needs and boundaries. I feel, for the first time in my life, all of my stars are aligned. Not one of them seems out of line... I am in total synch: physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually... It's been a great, enlightening journey, one that I hope continues to grow and give me even more insight!
    What is Mindfulness? Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

:heart: