Are you bipolar?

Options
angelicasmommy
angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
My dr suggested at my last visit that he thinks I may have bipolar disorder. I never thought much of it but I just looked up the symptoms and holy crap it sounds like me. I have been like this for the last 2 ish years but I thought I was just messed up. Is anyone here bipolar, and f so can you tell me how it affects you? Do you take meds? Do they help you?

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    No. But my dh's ex is. If you are bi polar PLEASE get on medication and take it seriously. Hugs.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    I have an appt at the end of October and I will bring it up. I am just going to try to read up as much as possible until then.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm not but I have known people who are. If your doctor thinks you may be, try and see a psychiatrist and have them prescribe you meds, rather than your PCP. I am always in favor of natural remedies when possible, but for something like bipolarism, I think meds are generally needed. I have seen the most amazing transformations in people when they are taking the appropriate medication for this disorder.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    I am on anti depressants right now (I was diagnosed with depression maybe 6 months ago) and I have been finding it hard in the last month or so to remember to take the meds every day. I really hate the thought of having to take more.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're open to getting on meds and getting treatment for this disorder.

My mom has it, and it went untreated for a long long time. She's now on medication, and it has made our relationship and her life 100% better. She's much more steady now emotionally, and it's just wonderful. I know she's had some issues with side effects, and it took a few months to get the dosage figured out, but it's been so worth it to have my mom in my life in a meaningful way.

Good luck to you no matter what course of treatment you choose to go with! :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with bi-polar when she was in 6th grade. After several therapists telling I was parenting all wrong, and not helping the situation, I finally found one that sent her in for a psych eval. After a month our house was no longer a war zone.

Seriously look into it. My daughter takes zyprexa and depakote ER with no bad side affects.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My ex is bi-polar. It was seriously aweful because he wouldn't take any meds.

On the other end my best friend married someone who is bi-polar who takes meds and he is an awesome human bieng. Always the life of the party and willing to lend a hand.

Educate yourself and find some meds that work for you. Its awesome that you're working on bettering yourself.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

OP, please don't listen to that moron. Thousands of men and women in this country have this condition. It is nothing to be ashamed of and there are ways to manage it. Big hugs to you.

I have it too and joking about it isn't off limits to me. And in chit chat with the garbage posted here, it made me giggle.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my wife says I am
  • ccludden
    ccludden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a psych nurse, and some anti depressants can make mood swings worse. You should talk to your Dr. about a mood stabilizer. If you get on the right meds you will feel much happier.
  • Webona293
    Webona293 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    go get checked. And don't take any diet pills with stimulants or caffeine until you know because that will send you into mania where you do crazy **** before thinking about it...like oxypro elite or hydroxycut stuff like that.
  • Webona293
    Webona293 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a psych nurse, and some anti depressants can make mood swings worse. You should talk to your Dr. about a mood stabilizer. If you get on the right meds you will feel much happier.

^^^ *BUMP* very true! so will some diet pills that have stimulants in them like caffine, guarana extract, and any thermogenic fat burner
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Q: Are you bipolar?

A: Aren't all women.

Totally off topic but I got a chuckle out of this, and I am female... also nice buck..

OP, have you had symptoms your whole life or is this just new since you were put on anti-depressants? I was on some anti-depressants that made my depression 100 times worse and made my symptoms act like I was bi-polar. Please do not wait until your appointment, try to get in to see your Dr. before that.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My husband is bipolar, and he has voiced concerns that I am exhibiting signs of it myself. Any and all meds he has been prescribed turn him into a zombie. Since he was a stay at home dad, being drugged to a zombie state was not good (we were going through MHMR at the time). It's difficult with him not being on medications, but it's not horrible. It really depends on the severity. I work at a jail and see some people who are completely off the wall unless they are on their medication. Talk to your doctor and get an actual psychiatrist referral, or schedule your own appointment. They really do understand the disease and can help you better than any PCP can. From our experience, it takes a while to find the right combination of medications that will help. So don't get discouraged if it doesn't work right away. And I definitely recommend regular counseling (that's what my husband is doing) until they get the combination correct.
  • sizzle92
    Options

OP, please don't listen to that moron. Thousands of men and women in this country have this condition. It is nothing to be ashamed of and there are ways to manage it. Big hugs to you.

I have it too and joking about it isn't off limits to me. And in chit chat with the garbage posted here, it made me giggle.

I get that. I don't have a stick up my *kitten* so to say......but maybe have some compassion for the OP who is newly putting it out there and is very fresh to this all?
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Meds are SO important and it may take some time to find the right combination for you. Unfortunatley you will probably have to take several to control it if you are actually bipolar (I'm hoping a p-doc made the suggestion not a PCP). It is very controlable but can be a heck of an emotional ride to get there. My B-I-L has gone off his meds and with therapy and exercise he is doing great. Good luck to you and please ignore the insensitive *kitten* on here.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    I have an appt at the end of October and I will bring it up. I am just going to try to read up as much as possible until then.

Can't you get in sooner?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and ADHD and I have struggled with depression in the past. Feel free to add me!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I seriously feel for ignorant ****s who make ignorant statements on here. Or anywhere for that matter. Especially while holding pictures of dead animals smiling ear to ear like an uneducated moron. Mental illness is no joke and to talk about women that way is disgusting. I feel for your wife. (you are beating the spread by the way). And I hope you do not have daughters. Why even come on this thread???? WHY? I sure hope you or your loved ones never get plagued with mental illness because you obviously don't have the capacity to deal with it and because of you they will suffer even more.

Totally agree with this! There are times and places when joking is ok but even though depression can't be seen doesn't mean to say its not an illness.

OP, I would go and get help hun, I have depression too and I am on tablets every day although one brand of tablets that i was on give me similar symptoms to that off someone that has bipolar so really do get checked out and don't let them fob you off. Demand answers before you settle for any sorts of tablets as unfortunately the medical doctors nowadays (especially in UK) just will give you medication thinking that drugs are the answers to everything. 60% of the time they are not always right so please make sure you look into it and get the help that you need, take care
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My dr suggested at my last visit that he thinks I may have bipolar disorder. I never thought much of it but I just looked up the symptoms and holy crap it sounds like me. I have been like this for the last 2 ish years but I thought I was just messed up. Is anyone here bipolar, and f so can you tell me how it affects you? Do you take meds? Do they help you?

Yes I currently suffer from bipolar depression. It sucks because I can just spend days in bed. And god help you if I skip on my meds...