At what weight should I run ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You can start running whenever you feel like starting! Couch to 5k is a great way to get started. I used a series of programs from Cardio Coach.

Just remember to pace yourself, I run a lot of races and I see people that go all out and by mile one they are pooped, you don't have to run fast to be a runner, slow and steady wins the race, speed will come later! :bigsmile:
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I started running at 315lbs but then realized that my knees were not very forgiving. I had to stop until I lost more weight. I am now 262 and I can run 2 1/2 miles in one go so far! After my run I feel great and my knees do not bother me anymore.

My suggestion is try running but listen to your body, if you experience severe discomfort or pain in any of your joints I would suggest to take it easy until your body adjusts a bit more.

Congrats on your loss so far, and best of luck with your running!
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Get some good shoes and walk! The idea is just to get your heart rate up. As you lose more, go faster!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One tip for running (at any weight) is to try to strengthen the muscles in your hips. The stronger those are, the less impact you will feel on your knees. As long as you are safe, start slow, and don't overdo it to injure yourself, I think it's ok to run at any size.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    First, you need to have some leg strength. If you can do squats and lunges, leg lifts and crunches, you'll be a good candidate for running. Plus you are walking a lot already!

Second, get shoes that SUPPORT your weight. I have inserts made for me, but in many cases a good running store can set you up.

Third: I would try the elliptical for a few weeks to see where you are at. Your feet maybe fine and your knee may give you trouble. Just go slow.

Of course, checking in with a doctor is a great idea. However; you are the one that needs to listen to your body. I am assuming that you don't have any other issues like heart trouble or something.

I started running at 276 and have never looked back - well, except for a heart attack and knee surgery, neither of which were because of the running. In fact, the running saved my life.

I say go for it!
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was over 300lbs. I am sure you can too.

My only suggestion is do not spend money on unnecessary clothing and equipment.

The beauty of running is that it's cheap.

Invest in good sneakers, go to a running store and get fitted, and buy all of your tech gear from Wal-Mart or K-mart.

They use the same tech as NIKE and Reebock on their brands at a fraction of the price.

Also, jumping right into running is going to be super hard.

It is going to be tough so listen to the other MFP'ers and start with a program like C25K.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I don't think weight has much to do with it, rather the state of your joints and your stamina. Also, running or jogging on a treadmill is going to be a little easier on your joints than running on pavement - there is a little more cushion.

I was a runner in high school so my stamina is still there, I do have a bad knee but have been working out with a trainer that has me running (at a jogging pace) again. One of the reasons we started working it into my program is because I had to work too hard to get my heart rate up (even with the treadmill at a 15% incline), we started working the jogging in at 30 second intervals. I now do a few jogging segments for ~90 seconds with the incline at 6% and speed at 4.0. I have a long-term plan to run a half-marathon in December 2013 so I do a lot of zone training - I do interval training on the treadmill on my own, usually wallking for 3-5 minutes and then jog for 3-5 minutes. The thing that I have always love about running is that it gets your endorphins going, to the point that you don't want to stop once you start. Its something I have always loved, so makes me happy to be doing it again. :bigsmile:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    If you have strong muscles and joint you can start now. I would start slow and steady though...

Run 1 min, walk 2, etc... Do what you can. However, maybe try speed walking initially. It can burn just as many calories.
  • riotshows
    Options
    I don't believe that how much you weight should determine whether you are ready to run. It is how you have prepared and prepped yourself for a higher degree of exercise. You need to train and build momentum for any type of strenuous physical exersion.