Time to loose baby weight-he is 24yrs old and getting marrie

beckyt54
beckyt54 Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
My son is getting married in Oct. 2010 and I don't want to be the short fat mom. I hope being a part of this site will help keep me honest. I need to loose 40lbs in 40 weeks. I know I can do it with what seems to be a ton of support. Thank you all for helping me.

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    My son is getting married in Oct. 2010 and I don't want to be the short fat mom. I hope being a part of this site will help keep me honest. I need to loose 40lbs in 40 weeks. I know I can do it with what seems to be a ton of support. Thank you all for helping me.

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    One of my (many!) motivations in losing weight when I came to MFP was ALSO because MY son was getting married and I wanted to look good for the pictures! :wink: AND, I DID! :bigsmile: :laugh:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "recent forum topics", and "view all", then "general diet", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Becky,:flowerforyou:

WELCOME TO MFP!! You have come to the right place!! If you are looking for a group of like-minded women, I invite you to check out the following thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74199-women-ages-50-for-january?page=2#posts-1011300

We offer one another encouragement and support and information. The tools on this website, along with the support and encouragement you will get from other members, combined with your own determination and willingness to create new and healthy habits--a "lifestyle change" NOT a "diet"--will make you successful. Your goal is very realistic.

Don't try to change everything overnight. That is why diets fail. Start with logging your calories, try and get out and walk every day. If you live in a cold climate, go walk inside a shopping mall if you want to stay out of the cold. DRINK WATER:drinker: :drinker: It does help!! And it has the added benefit of keeping you full.

I lost 50 lbs. in about 8 months, and I can eat ANYTHING I want, as long as I plan for it. Others have been successful by eliminating "trigger foods" that resulted in them eating to excess. Everyone's story is different, but you are more likely to keep the weight off if you adopt a program you can live with for the rest of your life. The trouble with "diets" is that people go off them and gain weight back :brokenheart:

BrenNew posted after I started my post, so I didn't see it before I saved mine. I am glad she did so, because she has condensed the essence of success down to a few paragraphs!!!

Good luck to you!!!
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Welcome newbie! You first answer was a wonderful post. Great job! (Want to be my friend to motivate me?!) I agree with everything she said, including measuring food. I bought a cheap diet scale from Wa-Mart (around $5) and have never regretted it. I weigh everything that cannot be measured with measuring spoons. Another necessity. I keep them within reach. DO NOT every estimate your food intate! You will be surprised how little a cup really is and how easy it would be to overeat. Portions, portions, portions!!

I am on a "journey" to loose about 32 lbs. I broke my weight loss into 3 goals: (1) Loose 10% of my beginning weight which is 16 lbs. I am working on this shorter goal first. Weight Watcher doe this and I think it is a great idea. (2) I want to get into my wedding dress, see the picture of me in Jun 2006. On my 4th anniversary this year, I vow to be able to wear that dress on a date with my husband. (3) Loose the weight to get to 125 - 130 lbs. and maintain the weight and a healthy lifestyle.

I have started this sooo many times. But over the past few months I have been asked 3 times if I am pregnant. (No I am not...). I am making a pictorial journey as well. I took a picture of me in the dress on December 30, 2009. After fighting with the buttons to get them to close, my daughter snapped the picture (then off with the dress, so I could breathe!) I am going to take a picture every month on the 30th (except Feb of course) to document my weight loss until I reach June 30th. I will keep you posted!

Sit back (no scratch that, get up and get moving!) and enjoy the ride. A pound a week is recommended and you can do it with motiviation and self control.

Good Luck!!
  • :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP. I hope you love it as much as I do. The people on here are so helpful I have learned so many new things!:flowerforyou:
  • :laugh: Hahahaha

I just love the title!

Good luck to you. A pound per week is definitely a very accomplishable goal. Keep your focus and you can do it!
This discussion has been closed.