For those who have had bariatric surgery

Options
Please help me to understand. I have met more people who have had weight loss surgery and gain thier weight back. The statistics are astounding. There is nothing in the media, but I am meeting more people who gain at least 50% or more of thier weight back.

I talked to a friend of mine today her husband had surgery a couple of months before I did, (approx 2 years ago). He still eats candy, fatty foods, drinks soda, and alcohol, doesn't exercise, not even a walk. I have to work everyday, logging my food and exercise, learning the best way to eat healthy and what I need to do to gain muscle and lose fat. I can't go back to my original 314 lbs.

Am I the only one? Am I crazy? Why...?

Replies

• dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure you know Bariatric Surgery is really just a tool to assist in weight loss. Sure it's a heck of a kick-start (for rapid weight loss it can't be matched) but without a sensible change in eating and exercise routine eventually the weight will find it's way back.

I also know someone who had the surgery, looked amazing for a couple years but did none of the work required to maintain it and gained back a bunch of weight. It's really too bad, such a tremendous opportunity for a healthier life wasted...

FYI- I am two months post-op so am fairly immersed in all this at the moment so figured I would reply...

Stay on your path of eating right and exercising and as far as I can tell based on my research the weight will stay off!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle cure for obesity. If surgery was a magic bullet, sure thing, 100% solution, every insurance company would be paying people to have it.

Surgery is a springboard to a healthy lifestyle. It is like a re-set button on a video game. It helps you lose the weight quickly and get to a normal place. From there, it's all you.

As a fat person for most of my life, I always thought that thin people were just lucky. I truly believed that thin people ate whatever they wanted and stayed thin. I thought that thin people exercised becaused they liked it.

Now I know that thin people watch what they eat. They exercise a lot. They don't eat massive quantities of junk food and lay on the couch all the time.

Surgery has given me the gift of a re-set, and I have finally realized that in order to be thin, I need to eat healthy foods in reasonable portions and exercise for the rest of my life. Surgery helped me get there, but it's not a permanent solution.

I am a year out from VSG, and honestly, although I still have decent restriction, I could eat a lot more than I do. I can also tolerate almost any junk food. I'm here logging and tracking every day so I stay thin. My surgery helped me lose weight fast, but didn't do a damn thing for my fitness level, strength or endurance. I work on that every day at the gym.

Everyone knows someone who has had bariatric surgery and has gained most or all of their weight back. That's why so many people are anti-bariatric surgery. Surgery is not a cure for compulsive eating. Permanent lifestyle changes are a cure for compulsive eating and obesity.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a springboard to a healthy lifestyle. It is like a re-set button on a video game. It helps you lose the weight quickly and get to a normal place. From there, it's all you.

Surgery has given me the gift of a re-set, and I have finally realized that in order to be thin, I need to eat healthy foods in reasonable portions and exercise for the rest of my life. Surgery helped me get there, but it's not a permanent solution.

You are right, it is a reset button, you get one chance at. I like that picture. I am so happy I had the surgery, I just can't let myself go back. I'm enjoying not getting winded, being able to tie my own shoes and all the other stuff I've never done well. I know that is why we are here on MFP logging everyday, exercising and watching what we eat. I just have a tendency to stress myself out about gaining back the weight, I think I've become obsessive with it.
  • kaygroth
    Options
    Hey don;t give up. As mentioned before Bariatric surgery is a tool. If you abuse it it will hurt you. If you use it properly it will last and give you what you need. I had surgery her on Toronto (Roux-En-Y procedure) six months ago now. We also have a support group which is very helpful and meet monthly. The professional I deal with have shared the good stories and bad. Bottom line is its up to you and you can do it. Keep it up your awesome...

8383004.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • melicharc
    melicharc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for seeking help. Everybody is different when it comes to weight loss surgery results. It does seem unfair that one can eat junk, not exercise and still lose weight. However that is the surgery working FOR NOW. Everyone comes to a point of now I gotta work with it! It is not uncommon to gain back 10% of your weight loss once your body adjusts. But sticking to the basics is key to success for a lifetime. Don't compare yourself to someone else. Do what you know works and stick with it. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Hang in there.
  • astrobob76
    Options
    i am 3 years post gastric, and i struggle every day. i was 340 day of surgery, got to a low of 213, and currently sit between 245 and 250. i am a compulsive eater. its not easy, but noone ever said it would be. i go to the gym every day, but cardio is few and far between. just gotta take it one day at a time and not let yesterdays failures sabotage tommorrow.
  • blackcadillacs5
    Options
    I had the Lapband Oct 22. Ive lost 77lbs with it however I stopped loosing weight at about 57. Statistically most people loose an average of 50lbs I knew this going in and I promised myself that I would get off my *kitten* and work for the rest and I have since June/July. I have not gone back for any more fills which would make it easier, I want to work hard at it now. My sedentary days are over. Ive lost 19 since I started using myfitnesspal and have joined a gym and exercise 5 days a week. I am working extra hard to loose 23lbs by my year anniversary of being banded which would total 100lbs loss. Im so close I can taste it...

Like everyone mentioned it is a tool and its up to the person, seems like some of us are the ones that make it but like you mentioned it takes a lot of work, its no magic.

For everyone fighting that everyday battle, don't give up! :glasses:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I needed to hear there are those of us that keep working every day at keeping the weight off or losing more. Keeping healthy through diet, portion control and exercise is key. Good luck everyone. We will overcome!!