Running and cold

Options
Runners. How do you protect yourself from catching cold while running? It's getting cold over here. I have a sore throat from yesterday's run. It was windy. What should I do to continue running outside without getting sick? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A cold is a viral infection. You get it from being exposed to the virus. Running, so far as I know, is not a virus!

However, you can bring your immune system down so that you are more likely to succumb to a viral infection by overtraining, not sleeping properly, under eating, stress. If any of those things apply to you, I would start there.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey yes it's said that you dont catch a cold because of cold wheather conditions but I had a sore throat just after I had finished my run and suddenly started to shiver. I was absolutely fine before the run. I think my wet clothes and the wind somehow have a lot to do with it . I am not stuck in bed today but I still have a sore throat.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A sore throat after running in cold weather is normally caused by inhaling through your mouth. It wont hurt as much if you inhale through your nose however this is hard/ impossible when out of breath. There is nothing you can do about it really. warm drink when you get in?
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd just adjust your gear appropriately: so full length leggings, and full sleeved tops. I've taken to wearing a short sleeved wicking t-shirt over my full sleeved wicking top and that certainly helps. I tend to fnd it's the wind that gets to me, not the cold, so if I wear a few layers it protects me a weenie bit better from the chill. If needs be wear a loose fitting thin hooded cardigan (cotton- not wool), although I have to say despite doing this last week it ended up around my waist mid run.

Also, try to plan your run so the end of your run is as close to home as possible. That way you won't have to spend long outside with the sweat evaporating off your back.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Treadmill?
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Treadmill?

I'll go back to gym next month. I am waiting for the weather to get worse:) I work out late in the evening so the gym is so full which is a turnoff for me. So I postpone gym as long as I can. Thanks for the advices. I feel better now after drinking a lot of warm tea. I'll wear 3 layers for today's run.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Polypropelene is great to run in, or merino woollen tops. I once ran in snow last year, wearing only my running gear and polyprops. The knees of my polyprops iced up! Wear warmer clothes, and warm up before you go outside, you've got the right idea!
    (I now stick to the treadmill unless it's a sunny day outside, I'm cold enough at home without having to endure 45 mins running outside in the cold as well!)