Is your goal weight too low?

Having worked out my goal weight by BMI before I joined MFP, I have now recalculated by percentage of body fat and have found that my original ideal weight is a bit low. I would be very interested to see your views on this.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Your goal weight is "yours". Seriously, the charts can give you a general guideline, but for some the "calculated" BMI is too high or low. It really depends on your body type. And what weight "feels" right. I have long thin bones. From just "looks" I can easily weight 10-15 pounds heavier than I am. But I certainly feel better no more than 5-7 pounds higher than where I am right now. It also depends on how much muscle vs fat your have. I would and have changed my goal weight to see what makes sense for me. I think as long as I am within 5 pounds lower or higher than where I am right now I will feel great and keep good mobility.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    My goal weight is set by how I looked and felt last time I was at that weight. I don't think its too low.
  • I don't go by bmi. If I feel and look good, it's good enough for me. Right now my goal is 115lbs (I'm 5'6") but its more how I look and inches lost. Even at 119lbs right now I could still stand to have a lower BF% I'm basing my goals in what I think I'll weigh when I'm at a certain %

Edited for typos
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    I think it's totally personal. My current maintenance weight is lower than my original goal weight and it's what I'm happy with and now what my wardrobe is tailored too. I don't tend to weigh in so much now after maintaining for a year but can tell when I'm feeling a bit too thin or pudgy and just eat accordingly.

You'll know when you've found your 'happy place' and don't worry what anyone else thinks or BMI charts etc. :flowerforyou:
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    while it's ok to say that you should go on how you "feel", that's partially the reason too many people are clinically overweight or obese. There is a range that your body should be in based on your frame (bone structure) and your body fat %. BMI is a ridiculous number and should never be used for anything...

Frame Size: Find your frame size using elbow breadth method
    1. http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp

Weight: Find your weight based on frame size
    2. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Now a lot of your ideal weight will be based on your body fat %...reading over previous comments: "jennea189" is equating weight to body fat %..this is not good, too completely different things. She should be looking to gain mass by building more lean muscle, which in turn will lower her body fat%. Simply losing "weight" will lose fat and muscle.

Look at the charts and find your range, the lower body fat% your are (more muscle), the higher in your range you can be....the higher your body fat% (more fat), the lower in the range you should be.

Remember..."weight" is just total mass, it's the composition of that mass that matters...how much of you is fat vs. muscle...

• Now a lot of your ideal weight will be based on your body fat %...reading over previous comments: "jennea189" is equating weight to body fat %..this is not good, too completely different things. She should be looking to gain mass by building more lean muscle, which in turn will lower her body fat%. Simply losing "weight" will lose fat and muscle.

Look at the charts and find your range, the lower body fat% your are (more muscle), the higher in your range you can be....the higher your body fat% (more fat), the lower in the range you should be.

Remember..."weight" is just total mass, it's the composition of that mass that matters...how much of you is fat vs. muscle...

I can see how it seems like that but it's not what I meant. I measure my BF% instead of weight. I know if you don't do strength training and eat right/enough you will lose muscle mass in addition to fat. That's why I do strength training, cardio, and calculated calories based on TDEE. I was just saying I'm pretty sure that at my ideal BF% I will only be 4lbs lighter than I am now:smile:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    If i'm honest threads like this scare me! I read what weight other girls who are my height (5.4) and they sound so low. Like really really low. Personally I'm not overly bothered by weight. It has it's place as regards to monitoring progress yes, but i'm more bothered about what I see in the mirror and gym progress personally. I think you can get to focused on reaching that 'goal weight' when it reality it doesn't mean much, it's fat loss and muscle building that should be more important, buts thats only my opinion, I realise it's different for everyone.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member

Now a lot of your ideal weight will be based on your body fat %...reading over previous comments: "jennea189" is equating weight to body fat %..this is not good, too completely different things. She should be looking to gain mass by building more lean muscle, which in turn will lower her body fat%. Simply losing "weight" will lose fat and muscle.

I can see how it seems like that but it's not what I meant. I measure my BF% instead of weight. I know if you don't do strength training and eat right/enough you will lose muscle mass in addition to fat. That's why I do strength training, cardio, and calculated calories based on TDEE. I was just saying I'm pretty sure that at my ideal BF% I will only be 4lbs lighter than I am now:smile:

I knew what you meant and totally agree! BF blasting is my target, and adding muscle, I want to be strong and sexy lol
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Healthy weight for me before I gained all this weight was 130-140lbs
    Although I dont know what weight I will be when I factor extra muscle into the equation

In the long run it will be what looks good and feels good
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Thank you for your interesting views. In my twenties and thirties after having my first four children I weighed about 98lbs (I'm 5ft 4) and felt comfortable with that. My weight increased after my fifth child at nearly forty. I'm now over fifty and I think that would be too low. I'm relaxed about what I see on the scales and happy to feel so much fitter, but I still think it's nice to have a goal to aim for.

I always love to learn more from my MFP friends and wish everyone the best of luck!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Having worked out my goal weight by BMI before I joined MFP, I have now recalculated by percentage of body fat and have found that my original ideal weight is a bit low. I would be very interested to see your views on this.

More than likely your body fat projection is wrong. Unless you have a lot of experience in doing it. Just my general view. Don't be discouraged by this or offended.

Everyone is fatter than they expected and has less muscle than they think. It will only be evident as this person gets to relatively low body fat levels.

Besides, even if you're body fat is correct now, you have to account for LBM drop while losing weight, so you cannot just take your current body fat levels and do the math. Expect a 20% LBM drop while losing weight and that has to be accounted for in your ending weight projections.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    If i'm honest threads like this scare me! I read what weight other girls who are my height (5.4) and they sound so low. Like really really low. Personally I'm not overly bothered by weight. It has it's place as regards to monitoring progress yes, but i'm more bothered about what I see in the mirror and gym progress personally. I think you can get to focused on reaching that 'goal weight' when it reality it doesn't mean much, it's fat loss and muscle building that should be more important, buts thats only my opinion, I realise it's different for everyone.

I kind of agree with this - I am 5,4 also and the lowest I have weighed ever is about 138lbs and am most comfortable at about 145lbs...At 145lbs I managed to get into a UK size 10 or at a push a UK size 8 (if it was a slightly large!))

I found I looked ill at 138 and struggled to keep to that weight. I dont know if I am 'big boned' but seriously if I weighed 115lbs (as I see some people of my height wishing to weigh) I would look anorexic, very thin and very drawn looking

I suppose we are all different and our bodies are different but I try to go by BMI and keep to a healthy range for my height even if it is nearer the top end of the range
  • If i'm honest threads like this scare me! I read what weight other girls who are my height (5.4) and they sound so low. Like really really low. Personally I'm not overly bothered by weight. It has it's place as regards to monitoring progress yes, but i'm more bothered about what I see in the mirror and gym progress personally. I think you can get to focused on reaching that 'goal weight' when it reality it doesn't mean much, it's fat loss and muscle building that should be more important, buts thats only my opinion, I realise it's different for everyone.

I kind of agree with this - I am 5,4 also and the lowest I have weighed ever is about 138lbs and am most comfortable at about 145lbs...At 145lbs I managed to get into a UK size 10 or at a push a UK size 8 (if it was a slightly large!))

I found I looked ill at 138 and struggled to keep to that weight. I dont know if I am 'big boned' but seriously if I weighed 115lbs I would look anorexic, very thin and very drawn looking

I suppose we are all different and our bodies are different but I try to go by BMI and keep to a healthy range for my height even if it is nearer the top end of the range

You might have a medium-large frame. I have a small frame and look perfectly healthy at the lower end of my bmi :smile:
  • My goal weight is set by how I looked and felt last time I was at that weight. I don't think its too low.

yep me too
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=weight+goal&page=1#posts-10002223

Mine is very calculated at 187 so i dont lose muscle... this is why i also created the above thread.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I honestly just picked the number that would put my BMI just below "overweight." After reading a lot of message boards, I can see a lot of people don't put a lot of faith into that BMI number. I still have a long way to go before I get close and I know I will re-evaluate then...maybe more, maybe less depending on how I look. I really just want to get to the point where my actual weight doesn't matter and toning is my concern.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    I initially picked my goal weight as something that felt achievable and something that, mentally, I would be happy with.

Now I have been hanging around here for a while I am beginning to think that once I get to that goal I'll very likely select a new goal weight. But honestly it'll probably be a goal size and I won't know that until I'm there. I don't really care about BMI.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    One more note, BMI and weight are pretty meaningless. By definition at 187 lbs @ 6% body fat, I will be overweight according to both. It is very common for athletes to be overweight according to both standards. This is also why it's so important to know your body fat. If I went by my previous weight goal, which was 175 because that is what i was in high school, I would have to lose 10 lbs of muscle. More muscle means more calories burned, the ability to eat more, a leaner and tighter body, and so many other improvements.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    My goal weight is set by how I looked and felt last time I was at that weight. I don't think its too low.

THIS. I remember feeling fabulous and confident when I was at my goal weight and I want to feel that again. That, plus how my old clothes felt!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I set my goal weight for 15 pounds heavier than I was in high school, back when I ran 3-5 miles and lifted weights in the school's weight room. I exercised every day of the week, except Sunday and was 135. Since I am approaching 40, I decided to set my goal to 150, which is just barely on the light side of overweight for my height, according to BMI charts. My plan is to get there first, then see how I look and feel. I will probably eat close to maintenance calories and continue lifting weights, but we'll see when I get there.