Help needed on supplements please - myprotein.com

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on a 1200 calorie diet, with less than 30g fat per day. I generally workout between 4-6 times a week, for around an hour each time, mainly doing treadmill, bike, cross-trainer and step machine (I had breast surgery 4 weeks ago and so am limited in terms of type of exercise at the moment!).

I'm at a point where I am slowly toning up but am not losing anymore weight, and ideally I need to lose another 7-14lb.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some protein shakes that might be beneficial to me?

I've been looking at MP Max Elle True Diet, Impact Diet Whey and Total Protein from the myprotein website...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• cheryldewin1986
    cheryldewin1986 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anyone....??
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes won't make you lose weight. They exist as a supplement in case your protein intake is too low on any given day.

IF you do go the shake route, I suggest Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey. It's one of the best, and the cookies and cream flavor is great.

Have you also considered swapping out carbs for more dietary fat?
  • cheryldewin1986
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to add that I'm simply not hitting my protein targets and thought that a protein supplement might be beneficial in line with my gym exercises?

I've just not been able to cut carbs out, everything I like is carb based! And although I have limited it, I've not managed to substantially decrease the amount I have, do you think carb cutting might be a good option for me?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eat real food if you can. Also that amount of fat is too low. Aim for a minimum of .45g\lb of LBM along with a minimum of 1g\lb of LBM in protein.

Your body needs a minimum amount of fat to function properly including loss of body fat. Despite the onslaught of marketing to the contrary in recent years, dietary fat does not directly equal body fat gain.
  • cheryldewin1986
    Options
    Thankyou, makes sense! Although I'm struggling to eat healthy and fulfill calories.

What suggestions do you have to increase my good fat consumption?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, makes sense! Although I'm struggling to eat healthy and fulfill calories.

How do you feel about salmon? Many nuts have really good fats too. Like almonds, macadamia nuts.
  • cheryldewin1986
    Options

How do you feel about salmon? Many nuts have really good fats too. Like almonds, macadamia nuts.

I don't eat any fish because I don't like it at all. I hadn't thought of nuts really as it's not something I would usually eat, but I will look into that! Thanks :-)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at MP Max Elle True Diet, Impact Diet Whey

none, I even made a thread on this very subject.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656516-word-of-advice-stop-buying-diet-whey-products

Where did you get your 1200 calorie allowance figure from. did you work this out yourself from BMR and TDEE?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Nuts, nut butter, regular butter, fattier meats, eggs, dairy, avacodo\guacamole, anything with olive oil, ranch dressing, fish oiil pills...
  • kpmuzzy
    kpmuzzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just done my first order at MP and got the impact whey protein, I was using the USN but this is cheaper so I'll see how I get on. I use protein shakes for post work out, but think there a great way to up your protein. If you decide to order you can use my referral code and get 5% off your first order it's: MP21236095

:)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    30g of fat is too low for any diet. Your body needs roughly 20g a day for basic survival.

Here is good info on proper fat requirements;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-2bJEQDvk