Diet saboteur

Options
Hi - I am here again in this place like every week for the past six months!

At the weekend I get my weight down to 12st 1lb, so near the 11st threshold (I am two stone overweight), but by Tuesday/Wednesday I am back up to 12st 4lb.

I have come down to this from 13st so something must have worked at some point but I am yo-yoing now and sick of it.

My Food Log is open to public - I have to say it embarrases me!

Replies

• keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Your food diary doesn't appear to be open to the public
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Sorry Keith - it is now.
  • lisav6
    Options
    Not sure if you are recording everything but even if you aren't, it's clear you have a bit of an addiction to biscuits! Maybe you should go cold turkey on the biscuits for a while and still to 3 square meals with healthy snacks such as dried fruit, seeds, some nuts etc.... I know its easier said than done but it depends how much you want something and how far you are prepared to go.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello C4RL05

While you are below the calorie goal most days (and soemtimes dramatically so) you are eating a lot of carbs, and those carbs are mostly processed sugar and flour. If you add more vegetables and more proteins to your diet, you may have both a more stable weight, and easier weight loss. I am not promoting a low-carb diet by saying this, just a more balanced diet. Building muscle and losing fat will be much easier on a balanced, healthy diet.

Good luck!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    if you're embarrassed by what we're seeing in your diary, you obviously know that you're eating some things you shouldn't. Start by cutting those things out!
  • RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Carlos

Good luck in your goal but your diary isn't overly helpful as it has too many gaps.

However, if todays breakfast is anything to go by! Half of your daily calories are already gone, and the bulk of those in the form of biscuits.
    I know biscuits are a real treat but they appear to crop up in your diary way too often to be regarded as a treat. For example 14/9 your lunch solely consisted of biscuits (with a coffee).

My suggestion is to still enjoy the biscuits - but as a treat, not as a primary food source.

I would never suggest that anyone cuts a food out that they enjoy, I don't, just be careful of the ammount.

Good luck again.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    ... it depends how much you want something and how far you are prepared to go.

that is my mantra now for the rest of the year - thank you.

and you are right about the biscuits. They are everywhere - at home, at work and the first thig I seem to reach for when I feel depresed at the end of the day.

I need to move to a different room in the house, get away from rubbish TV at night and do some yoga, which always steers my thoughts away from snacking.

Thanks Lisa
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    If that is honestly your diary I have some suggestions.
    Eat small meals frequently. Your eating pattern well... doesn't have a pattern. On days where you aren't eating much your body is going in to a bit of a freak out, it isn't sure if it's going to get the next meal or not.
    Your diet isn't balanced. It's very high carb and sugar. Try adding more lean meats, fruit and veg.
    Water. Water Water. Oh and when you're done more water.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Thanks apocalypsepwn. You would think eating more veg wouldn't be a problem as I have an allotment! It's just factoring it in.

I can see my eating pattern is erratic. I'm basically burning the midnight oil and then snacking until 1 - 2am most evenings. Need to pull myself together.

You are right about the water. I am trying to avoid tea and coffee when I know htere are biscuits freely to hand at work because I associate one with the other. If I take a sports bottle with me and drink water I can avoid the biscuits.

It seems I swing from being a fitness zealot to a diet dropout. Need to find the balance I guess.
  • pauljanet
    pauljanet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seems you are having an awful lot of sugar intake if Im honest, I did read somewhere the daily amount of sugar for the average person should not exceed 30g for women. On one of your days the intake was 78g, I suggest you swop your biscuits for more fruit and veg, and like other peoples suggestions.. Water, water and more water! Hope this has been some use to you.

Good Luck
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What deficit have you got set?

Mine is set to 1000, which means that if I eat over (as I have done for the last couple days - today MUST be better!) I've still got a decent 'buffer zone', which is also helps accounts for calories eaten and burnt being inaccurate.

I now use a motoactv with HRM to hopefully get a better idea of calories burnt.

But, yes, consistency.
    Can you make your meals the day before?
    I always found that helped me already having stuff planned out.
    Sure, there might be cakes/biscuits around at 11am, but I knew my next sandwhich was planned for 11:30am, so could wait for half an hour and have my own food.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Hi geebusuk. My target calories are set for 1570 - this was auto-generated by the programme when I put in my height and weight at the time. Does this get re-calulated as you progress or do I need to reset it as I go?

I am 158cm in height and started out at 13stone exact. I am now 12st 5lb today, but have enjoyed being 12st 1lb several times!

Making meals the day before is difficult as I grow nad harvest the vegetables and my wife likes to prepare the meals. The meals she prepares are not he problem with my diet. It is when I am at work and biscuits are too readily available and at every meeting table and at night when my head is still jangled with the day's work.

Water - yes, if I drank more of this, I would feel less hungry. Difficult to get hold of water that doesn't taste like swimming pool!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    What weight loss per week did you set it to?

I've been hovering around 12st too - also just hit 12st 1lb, but then put half a stone back on and now slowly coming off again.
    Was feeling hungry all the time, which then developed in to stomach pain that went away when I ate - turned out to be gastritis.
    Thankfully I was doing a fair bit of exercise (climbing, running and cycling) at the time, so at least those extra calories have gone towards me getting fitter.

I'm self employed at the moment and just moved my premises to one not right next door to Morrisons and their tasty hot food counter. However, have been doing a fair bit of work from home which hasn't helped.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    set to a loss of 1lb per week. I had tried 2lbs but found most weeks I just didn't meet the target. I thought 1lb per week I would be more likely to hit my target and keep it off.

I have managed to keep a half stone off and not go over 12st 7lb, but my next goal will be to get under the 12st mark.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Yea; I changed from just setting it 1650 calories (as was reasonably active at work) to a more sedentary 1350 and trying to 'eat back' my exercise calories, but do seem to find it harder this way.

With a 500 calorie deficit you definitely need to be careful.
    For instance MFP often over-values exercise so it gives a higher calorie burnt figure than reality.
    Mix in maybe a missed biscuit or two and some food manufacturers taking the lowest possible figures to put on their packets and it's easy to think you're under when in reality you may be a little over.
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    This may sound really simplistic, but it worked for me.
    I have approached getting healthy, (notice I didn't say 'losing weight') the same way I did quitting smoking 5 years ago. I just do it.

I know that there is no 'in between' for me. I can't say to myself "Well, it's 'ok' to have a pancake for breakfast" or "I've been good today, I'll have a piece of cake". For me, and for many others too, it's simply a matter of changing your entire approach. Stop thinking about dieting, and concentrate on doing things that make your body healthy.
    Eating only foods that are good for you.
    Exercising your body, and your mind.
    But don't do it as a punishment or in a way that makes you feel that you're depriving yourself. Be happy about the changes you're making for yourself.

There's an old saying that goes "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

Your current manner of living is not working for you to lose weight. It's never worked. So, change it.

Wishing you much strength in your journey. :)
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Add in a lot more work our, Second start listing anything that goes in. As a treat once a day I get .50X.50 chocolate square after my work out. It is only 30 cal and I get only one square a day. It keep me from going nuts on the sweet stuff.
  • MrsMcToad
    MrsMcToad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello C4RL05

While you are below the calorie goal most days (and soemtimes dramatically so) you are eating a lot of carbs, and those carbs are mostly processed sugar and flour. If you add more vegetables and more proteins to your diet, you may have both a more stable weight, and easier weight loss. I am not promoting a low-carb diet by saying this, just a more balanced diet. Building muscle and losing fat will be much easier on a balanced, healthy diet.

Good luck!
    [/quote

i really agree with this! I find eating more protein with veggies, and nuts with some dried fruit and less carbs (but keeping complex ones with a little brown rice) helps me to feel fuller. Although I am still a sucker for the office biscuits!

As for going cold turkey...I used to have an obession with cheese (I singlehandedly used to eat a block of cheddar, one of feta and usually a ball of mozeralla EVERY SINGLE WEEK), and couldn't imagine going without it. I was persuaded to so when I give it up for Lent, (to raise money for charity, even so it was so very hard) and i did it!! It actually made me realise I can enjoy food without so much cheese and now I eat much less. It really helped me kick the habit.

Best of luck. My food diary is open too (although I'm a newbie) so feel free to add me so we can give each other some support!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have lots of healthy snack options so you don't get tempted by the biscuit bandit. It takes a little planning but you are worth it! I have stand by snacks and meals that help keep me on track. I have a nature valley granola bar (two bar serving size per package) every day. And, lots of fruit and veggies. And, turkey, hummus and broccoli slaw on light bread (whole sandwich is about 160 calories!) And, I work out pretty much every day. Working out isn't only good to burn calories and build muscle, I think twice before I eat something unhealthy because I've worked so hard to get healthy. And, finally....allow yourself a cheat day where you can have a biscuit so you don't feel deprived. Don't give up, 11 stone here you come!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Looked at your diary since you've begun and it doesn't really look too bad.

Of course, there's the odd bisquit/cookie but nothing really over the top.

However, it does appear that a great many of your calories come from snacking. Some of your meals apprear a bit light and perhaps this makes you hungry during the day or evening when snacking may be a problem.

I would recommend you try to reorganize your diary to include a midmorning snack to which you allocate specific foods and calories, then one after lunch and one after dinner. (You can pre-log these if you wish) This way you can more easily control your portions and may be less likely to add too many additional calories with random grazing.

For some reason, seeing those snacks on your diary may allow you to feel less deprived and less hungry during the day and evening and make it easier to keep under your allotted calories.

You might also try switching up your foods. Try a few high protein foods which will make you feel fuller such as cooked eggwhites. Try finding a low cal-hi protein whole wheat bread.

Good luck-you're doing great!