mini rant: unsupportive family

Options
I love my family to death, i really do. and i love being home from school. But they make my choice of lifestyle so much more ridiculously difficult than it needs to be.

For one thing, my dad and my brother are always teasing me about measuring everything out. i can take that. not a big deal. every time i go to eat something, my brother makes some obnoxious comment like "are you sure you have enough calories for that?" or "are you sure that's not going to make you fat?". he's 12 so i know not to take anything he says seriously.

What really gets me is when my parents make me feel guilty and don't help me out:explode:

i had woken up late today so instead of eating breakfast, i just had a late brunch. this left me with a bunch of extra calories so i had half of a chocolate chip cookie. my dad comes up behind me and tells me not to eat it because its not healthy and that i eat too much junk food! for one thing, my dad is overweight himself and is in no place to tell me what is healthy and what isn't. and for another thing, any time i ever have junk food, its when i have the calories and i've eaten well the entire day, and its never any more than 100-200 calories.

my family is persian and i love persian food, so when i come home, its wonderful to be able to eat the food that i grew up with. unfortunately, my mother has never measured anything out in her life, and even when i asked her to do it, she refused. i tried watching her as she made it buts impossible to know how much oil she used going once around the pan. so when i can, i try to cook my own food separately, she acts all offended and tells me that i'm being rude.

it almost makes me wish i were back at school which is sad because i really do enjoy being home.

*sigh* end of rant.

Replies

• Mandillynn
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're going through this. It sucks when you don't have anyone supporting you, let alone, teasing you or making you feel guilty. You deserve those little rewards, and never deny yourself if you have the calories to spare. You don't want to end up bingeing on a whole box of cookies (which I had done before when I had to give up sugar).

Just some advise... as much as it's hurting you, be patient with them. I don't know how your situation is, but if you had tried to diet and failed before, maybe that's what your family is counting on. Failure. It's kinda like that smoker. They say they're going to quit, so you show your support... but several attempts later, it kind of gets old, and you just stop supporting. "I'll believe it when I see it."

Try to ignore what they are saying. Follow your plan even if it means you're going to hear it because you are having empty calories. Only YOU know what's best for you in this endeavor. As for your mother's cooking, try to estimate all that she's using. If you're a little off, it's not going to mess anything up. Do the best that you can in your situation, and eventually, they will see results and shut the hell up... lol!

Hang in there. You have the rest of us on MFP to support you. :happy:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you for your help
    i really appreciate it
    :heart: aisha
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ask your mom if you can watch her cook and write down what she does. Make her measure it, and tell her that you are just wanting the measures so you can make the same dishes when you have a family. Then, make a cookbook out of it, and many small publishers will publish a book just for you and your family. Or, you can just publish it on your own computer.

My mother died suddenly, and, while I "know" some of her recipes...there are a few very special ones that I just don't know how to prepare. The chesnut and chick-pea soup, is one I don't have. She was from a small town outside of L'Aquila, Italy.

I love Persian food too, though I am just a half-Jewish/Italian girl! I have a Persian cookbook, and love to make the food. i especially like this tomato/eggplant/saffron rice; and the bitter orange fishes, and, of course, the lamb. I'm sure that none of this cooking is like your mom's.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    Hang in there! You have made a wonderful decision and will be just fine. My husband likes to make comments about my food scale also. Keep measuring! This is a power you have no one can take away.

Congratulations on your dedication. Good luck!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't understand what you are doing so if you show them like reading the labels they might learning something new. Make the box meal or even pasta and have them put their serving on their plate then you measure your and show them what the serving size really is. Your brother might get something out of it. You brother is probably teasing you because he see your father doing it. He also knows that it gets to you so why not give big sis a hard time. I think the idea of watching how your mom is cooking and telling her you want the recipe is a great idea. Your having mom and me time and you are also finding out the information you need. Good Luck!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about that. I know its hard. I was out to dinner with my family a couple of weekends ago which I don't go home much and I ordered eggs thats not cooked in butter and asked for no butter on my bread either and my mother looked at me and said obsessed.!!! I know what you mean but just keep in mind that you are doing this for yourself.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your support!
    i truly appreciate it