Dr. Oz's "Eat Right for your Metabolism"

Options
I post this knowing there are passionate Oz-Haters out there: Please feel free to criticize the message, not the messenger. Thank you:-)

Check this quiz & info out from Dr. Oz -

http://www.doctoroz.com/quiz/quiz-what-your-metabolism-type

It says I am Metabolic Type A (strong appetite, crave salty foods) and recommends me to be 50% protein (darker meats), 30% fat, 20% carbs - VERY INTERESTING! I'm going to give it a try!

Replies

• candace_ndiaye
    candace_ndiaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I saw this and did the quiz as well, which (assuming I buy into it) would make me a Type B. The problem is, I've eaten like that before, and it wasn't enough protein or fat for me to feel good and have enough energy. I want to think this is a good idea, but I do have some hesitations, both with the A plan (he said the dark meat thing is a myth, but it's been proven taht you should limit your intake) and the B plan (70% carbs?!). I'd love to hear what you think about it :)
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The quiz was kind of silly. I was not "mostly" anything.

But, knowing myself and when I feel best, am definitely a type B according to this system, and my husband is a type A.

I currently have my carbs at 60, and protein and fat both at 20. Seems to be a good balance for me right now.

My husband does very well on a high protein/low carb/ low to moderate fat plan. But I don't. I feel hungry, anxious, and grouchy eating that way.

I've been trying to explain to him for YEARS why eating the way he prefers does not work for me. Maybe this will help make my point...
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I had 2 C's, 1 A and 1 B I should eat 33% protein, 33% fat and 33% carbs so pretty much what I have been doing
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I was ALL type A - I'm going to give it 2 weeks and will post back with you guys.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add
    I just want to be a part of this thread

edit to add: Type C metabolism
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    bumps for reading later
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That was a rediculous quiz . . . of 5 really not at all scientific questions. I had 2 of one and than 1 of each of the others . . . so I wasn't really mostly anything.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz hater here! He only seems to perpetuate the "miracle diet" myth, not fix it. he has sooo many episodes about how to lose weight, each highlighting a weird trick or crap like this quiz. eat healthy, move more. done. he really gets my blood boiling. lol.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I hate Dr Oz and everything he says and does....

That being said, I took the quiz anyways and I am a perfect C and it describes me to a T and the recommended macros ARE what I do best with....

My conclusion: HE did not come up with this, someone smarter must have, and just paid him to stick his ugly mug on the page....:laugh: :wink:
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    OK - well, Day 1 is a bust! WAY over on carbs already.
    I'm going to need to tweak my regular foods if I'm going to hit my 20% carb/day goal this week.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    That was a rediculous quiz . . . of 5 really not at all scientific questions. I had 2 of one and than 1 of each of the others . . . so I wasn't really mostly anything.

^^ This right here. 5 random questions with no real information.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I could have picked two answers for some of the questions. And the diet I got wouldn't work for me. It's very heavy on the carbs. I feel better when I have more protein to carbs.

/not a Dr. Oz hater
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I only got 4 questions and ended up between A & B. It's not going to be easy eating 20% carbs and 70% carbs at the same time.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    He's a quack. I tried one of his herbal remedies and got really sick!!

Anyone on TV does not tell the truth. it's all geared toward them getting rich.

I live on Forks over Knives and am doing great on health/weight loss journey now.
  • lion94
    lion94 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to the quiz, I am in the "B" group. I'm not going to even attempt to make my diet 70% carbs because that sounds ridiculous to me. Some good carbs are healthy for you, but I fail to see how making them such a huge part of my diet can be helpful. Then again, I'm also trying to lose 80 pounds that I put on eating the wrong things, so what do I know?
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I only got 4 questions and ended up between A & B. It's not going to be easy eating 20% carbs and 70% carbs at the same time.

did this for fun, i got the exact same. sounds 100% accurate to me

17again0127.gif
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I got 2-a's and 2-b's so which should I follow??

If you answered mostly A's, you have a Type A metabolism! You need more protein than people with other types of metabolisms, which is why you crave salty foods – salt is often found in proteins and fats. Your diet should be approximately 50% protein, 30% fats and 20% carbs.

If you answered mostly B's, you have a Type B metabolism! You crave sweets because your body easily digests and stores carbohydrates. Your diet should be approximately 70% carbs, 20% protein and 10% fats.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't see how your personality could be determined by your particular metabolic needs. Thus, I say Arrr, walk the plank, Doctor Oz
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I did it out of curiosity. Supposedly I am a type C.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I honestly can't see how your personality could be determined by your particular metabolic needs. Thus, I say Arrr, walk the plank, Doctor Oz
    Free Krispy Kreme donut for talking like a pirate. :drinker: