chocolate milk

Options
I've heard that chocolate milk can be used post workout instead of protein shakes. True or False?

Replies

• NewMeAT33
    Options
    True according to my trainer and a few sites I have visited. Fat free milk of course.
    I was shocked and thrilled when I heard this. Especially since when I get home from the gym later than expected, the last thing I want to do is cook and eat before going to bed.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/chocolate-milk-refuels-muscles-after-workout
    http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/the_best_fitness_foods_what_to_eat_before_during_and_after_a_workout
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    milk and a piece of fruit would be better IMO...but chocolate milk is as effective as "recovery" drinks.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    chocolate.jpg

If you have HEB where you live, Mootopia is twice the protein half the sugar and lactose free and delicious. It's so thick that I usually cut it down with skim milk. I also use half a cup of it with a TBSP of peanut butter and a banana and ice to make an awesome smoothie.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    chocolate.jpg

If you have HEB where you live, Mootopia is twice the protein half the sugar and lactose free and delicious. It's so thick that I usually cut it down with skim milk. I also use half a cup of it with a TBSP of peanut butter and a banana and ice to make an awesome smoothie.

I used to make that same concoction with milk and chocolate whey or casein. PB and chocolate together make a killer smoothie (the banana is just gravy IMO).

I used to make my protein shakes in mootopia as well. We're also blessed to live in a part of the country where HEB's are plentiful...great stores.
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options
    A protein shake with chocolate milk? sure why not. if you like the taste.

Though im not quite sure you know what a protein shake is.. A protein shake is a drink with protein powder mixed with a liquid, say milk/water.
    If you leave out the protein powder, its not a protein shake.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A protein shake with chocolate milk? sure why not. if you like the taste.

Though im not quite sure you know what a protein shake is.. A protein shake is a drink with protein powder mixed with a liquid, say milk/water.
    If you leave out the protein powder, its not a protein shake.

He didn't specify whether he used protein powder for that, but Mootopia does make lactose free skim milk (not chocolate) as well with double the protein and half the sugar.

Edited to add: Taylor - I have 2 HEBs within 3 miles of my house in Kingwood (one regular and one market) and then another one a little further down on the beltway. They are all great; however, they don't all carry the same products. The little one has stuff the big one has and vice versa, so I just have to remember which one I need to go to if I am getting something specific.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    adult humans shouldnt drink milk from another animal, it goes against nature...

looking into Soy, Almond, Coconut or Rice milk...drinking milk from another mammal is nasty!
  • sionnain
    Options
    I'm reading a book where they mention that - and she said it's only good after working out 2 hours or more; it's the perfect ratio.

I like mine as Almond Dark Chocolate milk! mm!
  • Soy tastes like $%!*%!$, but I LOVED the taste of the Dark Chocolate Almond milk. Unfortunately, it triggers my migraines so... that's out :( Still trying to figure out how to make the Jillian Michael's protein powder consumable. So far, I drink about two sips and want to gak :( I've tried mixing it with skim a banana and peanut butter.... no dice.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    From all I've heard that statement is true. Make sure however that you are drinking at least 1%. In order to absorb the nutrients in milk you need a bit of fat - 1% does the trick. Drinking non-fat milk (nutrient wise) is akin to drinking colored water. True it's got a few more cals - but what you are after is the most nutrition per calorie.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My brothers football coach and my swim coach in high school sweared by this! I would use it as a recovery drink and still drink the protein shake though, chocolate milk in general doesn't really have the protein, which is why I drink protein shakes in the first place. as a protein supplement to my diet.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    True- Keep it low fat as possible. Also you don't want the low sugar brands. Chocolate milk is ideal because it's a ration of 3:1 carbs to protein which is the ideal ratio to repair muscles and replenish glycogen stores. So the low sugar high protein kind defeats the purpose and will slow down glycogen replenishment.
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the input! I love my chocolate milk!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    any good brands that are great for recovery?