Hello from Switzerland

Options
Hello, this is my first post in this forum!
I live in Switzerland, am mom of a 9 years old boy and have been loosing weight for about 5 years, after having gaind it over 20........ I have tried any possible diet but ended up completely demotivated. I then found a doctor who helped me to balance my diet, to find out first of all why I gained all this weight - what makes me eat too much! And I was searching for strategies to reduce the emotional eating. I learned to feel again things like hunger and satiety. I found out that keeping a diary of what I am eating is what helps me most to loose weight.
During these past 5 years I have lost about 50 ibs and I still have to go another 20 to 30 more down.
I found MyFitnessPal when I was searching for an App for my iPhone to keep a diary. I really find it fantastic! MFP is very motivating.
However, I need some more help for exercise..... Due to a severe osteoarthritis in one knee, physical activity is not very easy. But I try to walk frequently for a while, and to bicycle on my hometrainer for 30 - 45 min twice per week at least. But I always finde very practical excuses to not squeeze some exercise in my daily routine which is already packed with job and family etc.
I really hope to find some help here to push me to exercise more!
Wish you all a nice day!

Replies

• ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

One thing I have found helped me was to start doing weight training. Nothing huge, just hand weights to start off with. I have terrible knees and too much walking or running leaves me in a lot of pain. I have small hand weights (max 5kgs) around my house. I use them as many times a day as I can fit in.

I also found that listening to audiobooks really helped motivate me to go out walking. I always want to know what's happening in the next chapter, so I get up and fly out the door in the morning :)

Good luck with your journey!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I've found that the pain in my knees got better when I started losing weight. I still have trouble with stairs :-( I agree about the handweights, they will definitely help. Muscle burns calories. The bike is a great exercise for bad knees. My dad had a knee replacement a few years ago and they told him that the stationary bike was the best exercise he could do.

Exercise is a habit - and it's a hard one to get into. When I first started working out the key for me was that I couldn't go home between work and my workout. If I did I hit the couch and never got back up. I go to a bootcamp class 2 nights a week. I change at the office and then go directly to class. If I have a run in the morning I lay my clothes out the night before so that I can't miss them in the morning. I can roll out of bed and just put them on.

Now I'm addicted to exercise and workout probably 6 days a week most weeks.

Good luck! Feel free to add me. I'll help in anyway that I can :-)