Reality check..I never felt as over weight as I look...do yo

Options
I am really seeing myself as I must look to others for the first time:noway: If I didn't look in the mirror I wouldn't feel and look in my mind tobe this over weight. I don't know if that makes any sense. But sense I started this diet I see myself as obeise ( wish they had spell check on here):smile: I'm not saying everyone is obeise like me . I don't know maybe I have been in denial.:cry:

Replies

• auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am really seeing myself as I must look to others for the first time:noway: If I didn't look in the mirror I wouldn't feel and look in my mind tobe this over weight. I don't know if that makes any sense. But sense I started this diet I see myself as obeise ( wish they had spell check on here):smile: I'm not saying everyone is obeise like me . I don't know maybe I have been in denial.:cry:
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    No I know exactly what you mean. I used to be tiny and in my mind I still am, but in the mirror I'm definitely not. Also I've always had a lot of muscle so I used the old "muscle weighs more than fat" saying as a crutch. As much as I hate the way I look right now, I know it's better to see it and change it than to live in denial. Good for you on seeing yourself the way you really are, now you can tackle it head on!!:tongue:
  • avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    i know what you mean! when i first decided i wanted to lose a couple pounds i thought it would be like 5 maybe 10 max. then i stepped on the scale and wanted to scream!!!! i was surprised at how high up my weight was, expecially for my age and height. but now that i do know i can try to picture myself at a smaller weight.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    No I know exactly what you mean. I used to be tiny and in my mind I still am, but in the mirror I'm definitely not. Also I've always had a lot of muscle so I used the old "muscle weighs more than fat" saying as a crutch. As much as I hate the way I look right now, I know it's better to see it and change it than to live in denial. Good for you on seeing yourself the way you really are, now you can tackle it head on!!:tongue:
    Thanks:flowerforyou: You said it better:smile I think this is another step that was needed for me to face reality and loose the wieght .
  • joanne123
    joanne123 Posts: 69
    Options
    You are so right. I used to be tiny too and in my mind I still am. :happy: A couple of weeks ago I met someone for the first time and I caught sight of myself in the mirror and thought about what my new friend saw... :noway:
    Its been great motivation though!
    Its been so hard to find exercise that I actually like but I have gone crazy on swimming since then and I am really enjoying it.:smile:
    I hope things work out well for you, there's so many nice people on this site - always a kind word or helpful message, or something funny to read...
    Good luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What a problem to have; thinking you look better than you do!

I have the same perception; whether it's mental of physical, I don't feel as big as I am. My little me is trapped inside this body dying to get out!

At least we aren't anorexic and think we look obese! I like my warped perception thank you very much! :flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    What a problem to have; thinking you look better than you do!

I have the same perception; whether it's mental of physical, I don't feel as big as I am. My little me is trapped inside this body dying to get out!

At least we aren't anorexic and think we look obese! I like my warped perception thank you very much! :flowerforyou:
    :laugh: to the little me , or perhaps Minnie Me
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem before I lost the extra weight then I realized I was to big for my frame, I'm barely 5 1 now that I lost the weight it's hard for me to see that I'm actually small again. People complimant me and I'm so surprised to know that they see me as small. It's crazy:huh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I have my fat pictures on my refrigerator and bedroom mirror. No escaping them.

I still think I'm 25, too. However, that train pulled out 28 years ago. :laugh:

Good luck to all. We are all beautiful in our own ways.

~Cheryl
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    umm, pictures are the worst for me. :grumble: in the mirror, at least i could turn a different angle or change the shirt or whatever. but in pics when it looks like i have 17 chins are the killers for me! :grumble: but i guess it's good now because now that i've lost some, i look at the pics and think "wow, look how much better i look already!" we'll get there :smile:
  • auntkaren
    Options
  • Catherinex
    Options
    same thing here.. i used to avoid photos at all costs (i reasoned i was shy).. Then my 4yr old nephew came to stay with me for christmas and he took videos with grans recorder of my ferrets (also got me and my mum in). When we played it back i couldn't believe i was looking at myself.. i looked so much older and fatter than what i thought i looked like.. Was a real shocker. Now i look in the mirror and see what i really look like, lol i was still the average weight 21 yr old in my own mind. But hey i'm so glad because now finally I am doing something about it and I feel so much better. Even losing the 16lbs i have so far has made a big difference, I feel like for last 10 years i have put myself on hold for my work. But now I feel that by looking after myself not only my personal life has improved but my work too. Thankyou MFP pals, you are all so wonderful.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from.
    I have all kinds of issues.:glasses:
    When I really look at myself in pictures or the mirror I can't believe I
    am as large or as old as I am.
    On the other hand I have never been skinny so I can't see my self as tiny either.
    can you say ostrich? How about confused?
    As I am very surprised at who is looking back at me from the mirror:noway:
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it includes the I still think I am young and kinda pretty. Then I take a minute to stop and look and I see an overweight and wrinkled face. O geeeeeee that cant be me.. I think...and then I realize it really is. I am getting to those years where you start to understand why rich people get plastic surgery. But when I see the wrinkles I try to remember that I have memories for every one. I earned them and Ill keep them. I wouldnt want to look like Joan Rivers for the world and I do like knowing I can feel my face smile.. (referring to joan rivers commercial.) scary! LOL
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My friend sent of picture of us at a party back in January. I look so fat. The good news is I'm 10lbs lighter than I was in that picture. I'm tired of looking at fat pictures of myself (hence the reason I don't have a picture of myself on this site).
    I can't wait to look and feel good about my appearance.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I noticed before I really took a good look at myself:noway: That men weren't looking at me the way they did when I was at a healthier weight and of course younger. :smile: But I am talking about men my age now. You know what I mean, how they use to wait and open the door for you when you go into a store or give you a smile.:wink: It had a way of making me feel good about myself. :glasses:
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    yeah i know exactly what your feeling. I used to say that i had reversed anorexia. I didn't see myself as big as i actually WAS and it has come to me recently in mirrors. it used to come to me JUST in photographs....

but NOW i see it daily in the mirror and I am just so done! SO done!

day 2 for me. will weigh in 6 days to see my progress.

I will NOT weigh myself daily. I just can't. i get discouraged.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY.

I had the opposite view of myself. Sure I wasn't totally happy with how I looked like, but I never thought I was as big as I was. i would look in the mirror and think, I am not so bad... I could afford to lose weight but really, I am not that bad.

Of course it is when ou look in photos and see the realization.

I remember when I got my first highest weight (162) and I said I would never be this weight ever again and I dropped like 50 lbs in 2 years and I was still seeing the same person I saw in the mirror from when I was 162. It is crazy but true. The only evidence was that my clothes were litterally bag and falling off of me.

Now here I am at my 2nd highest (170) and while currently I see a really overweight person (for my height) over the past year, I saw thin me and that is what led me to over eat again and again and again and look where I am.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    yeah i know exactly what your feeling. I used to say that i had reversed anorexia. I didn't see myself as big as i actually WAS and it has come to me recently in mirrors. it used to come to me JUST in photographs....

but NOW i see it daily in the mirror and I am just so done! SO done!

day 2 for me. will weigh in 6 days to see my progress.

I will NOT weigh myself daily. I just can't. i get discouraged.
    I will get my first weigh in when I go to the Doctor friday:smile: my scale tends to stick , it will be a week and a half since I started. I am glad that you and others understand and I'm not alone. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    wow I totally know what you mean! I look at pictures of me before I had my son when I was 31 and am like...omg girl!!! that's what you're suppose to look like! lol....I'll get there...we all will....for now I try to hold my head up high and just know its a work in progress....rome wasn't built in a day, I didn't gain it in a few months...its gonna take time, but every day closer to my goals I feel better....usually! lol

hugs!!!
    Ali