Hey lifters, what's in your home gym?

Options
I'm almost finished reading New Rules of Lifting for Women (NRoLfW as it's known around these boards) and am looking to try to create a wee lifting area in an already wee apartment in the most cost-efficient manner.

I have an adjustable step (yeah, from the 90's) that I think can function as a bench for most exercises requiring one. I have some 8 or 10 lb dumbbells. What other weights in dumbbells do you think are needed for a starting lifter? Also figure I'll need a barbell and some plates for that.

Any recommendations on minimal setup to get started? And favorite brands or things to avoid? Anyone know of a good deal? (Can you get this stuff online or is the shipping prohibitively expensive?)

Thanks MFP'ers!

Replies

• MonkRocker
    Options
    8/10 lb dumbells will become useless very rapidly.

Hit Craigslist or similar for an Olympic weight set. A 300lb set (standard) can usually be had for <$150 and will last you for at least the first couple of years. 300lbs sounds like a lot, but it's really not. Mine was something like: 2- 45lb, 2-35lb, 2-25lb, 2-10lb, 4-5lb and 2-2.5lb plates plus a bar. So 12 or so plates and a bar? You'll be surprised how fast you get to using the big plates, too.

Investing in a used bench is a good idea as well. A step won't work for something like a bench press where you need something to hold the bar.

A lot of the online places will do free shipping on orders above a certain amount, but you're likely to get a better deal from Craigslist anyway. Lots of people buy fitness gear and then never wind up using it past the first week or so. So you'll get practically new gear that's been sitting in someone's garage collecting dust.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's not the most wee, but I got a cheap bench & barbell set from Sears for about 100 bucks with 80 pounds of plates, then another $15 for another 15 pounds of weights (two 2.5 pound plates, two 5 pound plates) so I could increase a little more gradually. I'll need more eventually, but for now, this is plenty. It would probably be too small for a full grown man to use comfortably, but is fine for me. It takes up about the size of a twin bed.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you want
    a power rack
    a bench
    an olympic barbell
    plates: 45x2, 35x2, 25x2, 10x4, 5x2, 2.5x2, 1.25x2
    bumper plates

a set of dumbbells from 5 lbs up to 90+ lbs is a great thing to have to. you can get adjustable dumbbells, and a bench, and start there. then add the rack and olympic bar/plates when you can.

edit: fix typoe 35x2, not 35x3
  • zaph0d
    Options
  • zaph0d
    Options

sorry, tehcnical difficulties!
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a swiss ball (you will need one for NROL4W) and barbell/dumbell set (weights go on both) up to 110lb but am really beginning to need more weight now (a couple of months in). That is the bare minimum you will need in my experience - though I am only on level 1.

I use a coffee table as my bench and my husband as my squat rack :laugh: though if I could afford the real versions I would get them as it is a bit of a pain.

Space wise the ball is a pain and the kids love to play with it :mad: but if you were prepared to let it down and pump it up each time it would take up little to no space. The weights are not too bad as I stack the plates under my tv unit (is on legs) and just stick the bars behind if we have visitors. Benches etc would take up more room though you can get folding ones.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I use home fitness programs like P90X and Insanity. I have select tech dumbbells, resistance bands, chin up bar and a few other tools :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Olympic Barbell and 300lbs set
    Bench
    DIY squat rack
    Pull up bar
    Mirror

These are what I use for weight training. We have 5, 10, 15, 20lbs dumbbells, kettlebells and etc, but we use those more for cardio workouts.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Olympic Barbell and 400lbs of plates
    Bench
    Curl barbell
    Olympic Dumbbell barbells
    Dumbbell Set/Rack
    Ab Machine
    Speed/Heavy punching bags
    Stationary tripod for my Trek hybrid
    Weighted Vest
    Ankle Weights

In other words, I've collected enough equipment to justify killing my actual gym membership but I just can't do it!!! Besides, for what I pay to have access to 3 premium gyms (1 of which is 24 hours) + 3 day passes each month to gyms outside my network is enough justification to keep it going :drinker:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as 'Fitness Depot' where you are? I got my DB handles (~$10/ea) and BB bar (standard - $20) from there. Screw collars were $2 ea (got 6, to swap and switch & just in case).

I've been buying plates slowly, as I go. I have not found that weights and other accessories are much cheaper on Craigslist than new, in my area.

I got 4 x 2.5 plates, 4 x 10 lb plates, and 4 x 5 lb plates for 68 cents to 1 $ a lb.The 10 lb ones were cheapest, they're the vinyl coated kind and are wider/more annoying/take up more space. I prefer the thinner, cast iron ones (easier to stack).

Next, I'm getting 2 x 25 lbs. Might get another couple of 10 lb ones to avoid having to switch from DB to BB handles. (This makes a difference in the sequencing of exercises - more plates will mean I can superset. It's annoying to unload from weight set on a BB for a deadlift, to weight on the DBs for something else and back again.)

I use a sturdy kitchen chair for step ups, and the floor or my piano bench for a bench.

Swiss ball, can't remember, not more than 15$. Yoga mat is ancient, no idea what I paid. Will get another soon to wrap around BB bar for hip thrusts.

Would love tips on a DIY squat rack that takes up minimal space and is not a health hazard :)

I have a membership at a community centre for cardio options - only because I can't run and need to switch things up to avoid injuries from repetitive movements. So far I've only really used the pool. Much prefer the convenience of doing things at home.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Olympic barbell and bench with pairs of 45, 35, 25, 10, 5, and 2.5 pound plates.
    Saw horses in place of a squat rack

Then there's:
    Adjustable dumbbells that just go to 12.5
    A couple medicine balls
    Jump ropes
    Bluetooth speaker for tunes.
    A fan

I need to get a pullup bar installed - workout space is in our unfinished basement/crawl space, and our pull-up bar is one of those removable over-the-door things we have upstairs.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Ultimately you want
    a power rack
    a bench
    an olympic barbell
    plates: 45x2, 35x3, 25x2, 10x4, 5x2, 2.5x2, 1.25x2
    bumper plates

a set of dumbbells from 5 lbs up to 90+ lbs is a great thing to have to. you can get adjustable dumbbells, and a bench, and start there. then add the rack and olympic bar/plates when you can.

Why 35 x 3? Curious as to where that lonely third goes :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    A bench (foldable), Powerblock dumbells (5lbs - to 50lbs each), kettlebells (10, 15 lbs for when I feel like combining cardio & weights - planning on getting a 20 & 25lbs too...) Swiss ball (haven't used it in years) resistance bands, lifting gloves (I don't have to have hands like a construction worker just because I can lift like one:laugh:

Want to get a barbell set and squat rack, but no space....
    And really good shoes for running, Garmin 110 and ipod!:bigsmile:

Oh, and if I can do it all over again, I will get the select tech adjustable dumbells instead of the powerblocks - they take to long to change over for stuff like Chalene Xtreme...
  • mzjenae
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a bike, Ab Machine,Stepper,Blocks,Balls,Weights and plenty of Workout tapes. :)
  • zaph0d
    Options
    Ultimately you want
    a power rack
    a bench
    an olympic barbell
    plates: 45x2, 35x3, 25x2, 10x4, 5x2, 2.5x2, 1.25x2
    bumper plates

Ooops, that was a typo - only need 2 of them :)
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Ooops, that was a typo - only need 2 of them :)

Lol! Disappointed, hoped to learn something new :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Olympic Barbell and 400lbs of plates
    Bench
    Curl barbell
    Olympic Dumbbell barbells
    Dumbbell Set/Rack
    Ab Machine
    Speed/Heavy punching bags
    Stationary tripod for my Trek hybrid
    Weighted Vest
    Ankle Weights

In other words, I've collected enough equipment to justify killing my actual gym membership but I just can't do it!!! Besides, for what I pay to have access to 3 premium gyms (1 of which is 24 hours) + 3 day passes each month to gyms outside my network is enough justification to keep it going :drinker:

That's an awesome set-up! I'm jealous. :sad:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Rack with multi-grip pull-up attachment and band attachments
    High/Low cable tower
    Glute Ham Bench
    600 lbs of iron plates
    300 lbs of bumper plates
    3 olympic bars
    swiss bar
    cambered squat bar
    multiple weight med balls
    multiple weight kettlebells
    hurdles
    prowler
    sled
    foam rollers and other massage implements
    a bunch of bands
    tractor tire
    sledge hammer
    battling rope
    heavy jump rope
    suspension training system

hmmm, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    Hello :)

I have:
    sit up board
    hydraulic rowing machine
    exercise bench with leg curls, leg extensions, fly machine and barbellrest. It can incline and decline.
    barbell
    dumbells
    loads of plates
    resistance band
    adjustable step
    gloves
    weightlifting belt

I know... I am a home gym junky :D

x
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old granson!!! LOL!!! Sorry...couldn't resist:)