Phentermine?

Options
2»

Replies

• annissadilbeck
    Options
    NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!! Diet and exercise may be " old fashioned" but it's the way for life. Stick with what is doable for life! There are always side effects to substances that are foreign to our body.
  • tvaddict101
    tvaddict101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Phentermine. I took it for about a year and lost over 50 pounds. The sleeplessness is managable as long as you just take them in the morning. Before Phentermine, I wanted to eat ALL the time - the pills just removed my obsession with eating. I would eat when I was hungry and only eat enough so I was full, even leaving food on my plate (which was a new thing for me!). Because I took it for such a long time, the new eating habits stuck afterwards, so I kept the weight off for about 4 years after stopping the drugs.

But. When I ended up in a really stressful busy job, where I was at the office from 7.30am to 8pm many days and there was a cafe on site, I slowly lost the good eating habits and started eating constantly again. I recognise now that this is an eating pattern/trigger I have when I have too much to do at work and am stressed. So, I would suggest you keep going with the phentermine, even at a lower dose if that works, so it's easier for you to reset your habits, while also doing some work on your motivations for over-eating in the first place (if over-eating is what caused you to be overweight, as it was for me). I regained the weight back and I have become tolerant to Phentermine, so it's no longer an option for me.

Loving MFP though - keeping a food diary (even while on the pills) always really helps me stay on track.
    Hope that's of some help :)
  • rondaj4u
    Options
    25. Phentermine?
    1 month ago by cmriverside
    You could get the same effect from coffee, and you would naturally stop coffee because you would get jittery. Thousands of people here on this site have lost 50+ pounds, me included, by heatlhy foods and moderate exercise. The problem is, unless you deal with the reasons why you got overweight in the first place, then the Phentermine is just a crutch. Learn about healthy portions of good food, make room in your life for 30 minutes of exercise 3-5 times a week, and deal with your emotion...

Phentermine is nothing like coffee...not even close, not a bright comparison
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I wouldn't trust diet pills if I were you.

Just go slow and healthy :) You don't have too much weight to lose!
  • sclangley
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine short term. I have no problem admitting I am still learning to care about myself and make my health a priority and it's tough for me but I know it can be done 'naturally' because I read all the success stories here.....I am not encouraging you to take it, just sharing my experience. Because of my weight and limited ability to exercise effectively without doing more harm than good my health care professional prescribed it for me as a 'jump start'. I have lost 30 pounds in just over 3 months. The day I started taking the medication I also cleared my house of junk food and started exercising. When I go back in 6 weeks for a weigh in and blood work I am coming off the medication. I am able now to exercise more and with my lifestyle change I fully expect to keep losing on my own. Luckily I had no existing health issues that prevented me from taking Phentermine and dry mouth has been my only adverse effect.
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Good for you! I just got on it 3 weeks ago as well. I had dieted and exercised for 2 years with no results. I lost 9 poinds in my first 13 days, but I have not lost any this last week,,, did your weight loss pattern resemble this? I am also having trouble getting a deep breath and yawning... I am calling my doctor tomorrow. I just don't know if it is the bad cotton allergies here or the phentermine. I have done this in the past without phentermine, but I have read about others having this problem due to phentermine? Any info you have on the weightloss and breathing would be greatly appreciated.
  • rlalig
    rlalig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine in conjunction with exercise and tracking caloric intake on MFP. I am finding this to be very helpful at jump-starting my weight loss in helping me get back on track to a healthier lifestyle. I have been taking it for 8.5 weeks and have dropped 16.5 lb, which is my halfway mark to my total weight loss goal! I feel great and have more energy than I have in a long time, partly due to the medicine itself, but also because I am adding more exercise and healthier food choices to my daily/weekly routines. I am finally back into jeans/clothes I have not been able to wear for quite sometime while I was stuck in a rut.

Phentermine is certainly not for everyone, but my experience has been very positive and I would definitely recommend using, or at least giving it a shot to work if you need that little boost that I did. I plan to use the medicine until I reach my goal weight, then taper off and maintain my healthier lifestyle that Phentermine has allowed me to create.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ignore the BMI charts and stay away from diet pills. Think health. It's all about changing your habits for the rest of your life. How tall are you? 88 lbs sounds like what you should weight if you are 12 or 13...not if you are a woman.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I took it in conjunction with HCG shots before I got pregnant with my daughter, lost about 80 ish lbs. Developed a resting heart rate of over 100. That is very problematic. Also, when I came off of them, it all came back. (Granted I was preggo, but still). So my advise is don't do it. Anything that messes with your heart, that's serious stuff.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    hard work and dedication will make you lose weight just as fast.......all "speed" does is give you energy to go after it.....determination does the same thing without the side effects
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I was on it a long time ago. My blood pressure went up to 140/90. I had constant dry mouth with that horrible morning mouth taste to go with it, no matter how much water I drank. I would get angry over the stupidest things, as in temper/screaming/throwing things. I couldn't sleep and had to take melatonin just to get a few hours every night. I felt anxious. I would end up constipated every week even though I ate 30 g or more of fiber every day and had to take MoM. Eventually, I developed a tolerance to it and stopped losing, and I was actually really happy. The weight loss was nice, but it was a tough price to pay.

Most doctors only prescribe it to obese patients who need to lose weight RIGHT NOW. I honestly wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 250 pounds. It can help you control your appetite and get your body used to eating less, so that part is nice, but the side effects aren't worth it (for me). Others may not have the same side effects. I'm just offering my personal experience.
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used phentermine (30 mg) everyday for 4-5 weeks when I started (about 20 weeks ago). I really noticed how well it suppressed my appetite, but it did cause some unpleasant side effects. I knew I only wanted it to get me over the initial "hump" -- in the past I could only change my eating for 2-3 weeks before quitting.

Now, I take it every other day. The side effects subsided and I still got enough to keep me from going crazy. I do have a noticeable difference in hunger on the days I don't take it. For me (and YMMV), taking it every other day has allowed me to work on portion control and incorporate healthier eating habits and still have enough of a "struggle" that I can tell I am making a change.

And, I agree with some of the previous posters -- don't worry too much about BMI. It is *not* a diagnostic tool and is *not* an indicator of health. Trust yourself to know when you are at a healthy weight for your body.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I used to sell these. It's just a stimulant like most ADD medications, crystal meth, and crack. It will suppress your appetite so you won't be hungry. As soon as you get off of it you'll gain weight if you eat like you did before.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You know what works fabulous? and I am not even kidding

SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!